Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   ERA #194 goes for a song at Russo and Steele Scottsdale (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/102532-era-194-goes-song-russo-steele-scottsdale.html)

SunDude 02-03-2010 06:27 AM

ERA #194 goes for a song at Russo and Steele Scottsdale

Results of the Russo and Steele auction in Scottsdale were publshed online this week. A lovely ERA Cobra replica, chassis #194, sold for a mere $29,700. Seems to me like it went for a song, especially when compared with the Classic II roadster that sold for $47,300 and the unknown brand replica that sold for $39,050.

Here is #194's description from the Russo website. Anyone know what "ASVE" is supposed to mean?

1992 ASVE E.R.A Cobra 1969 427 SC
Consignment #42-6297
VIN: E.R.A 194
Sold: $29,700.00 - Scottsdale 2010

This E.R.A. Cobra replica is #194 and rides on a 90" wheelbase chassis. Complete motor build was carried out in November of 2009 and the car has dyno time only. A period-correct "turkey pan", 64 Jaguar XK-E rear end with 3.77:1 gears & solid inboard brakes, Fox racing shocks, 11" ventilated front brakes round out the period hot-rod parts. The car is finished in the unique grey color with ghost stripes that wrap around the nose. Inside, the period-correct dashboard layout looks completely right as does the riveted-on hood scoop on the outside.

All documentation since build with previous owner information is included; just 3 adult owners have driven and had lots of fun in this unique automobile.

madmaxx 02-03-2010 06:44 AM

ASVE=assembled vehicle

madmaxx 02-03-2010 06:46 AM

That was a steele!!!!!!

strictlypersonl 02-03-2010 07:10 AM

What's with the wheel size and offsets? They make the car look like a hot rod.
Changed the wiring too.

There's a moral to this story. Keep an ERA looking like an ERA.

Trueoo7 02-03-2010 07:21 AM

Weirdest looking turkey pan I've ever seen.

PatBuckley 02-03-2010 07:26 AM

That POS was priced right.

It would take about $15,000 to get it back to what it should look like.

mrmustang 02-03-2010 07:44 AM

Not only that, but it looks like it had a small block under the hood :LOL:

Bill S.

somedayaurora 02-03-2010 08:50 AM

Go

The heads up was a little late Sundude .:LOL: That would have been perfect . I'm not as picky as some , Hell its an ERA .
SDR
________
FORD MUSTANG FR500 PICTURE

rustyBob 02-03-2010 08:52 AM

$29,700.00 for an 18 year old replica..........thats not to bad a deal.

RodKnock 02-03-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyBob (Post 1025197)
$29,700.00 for an 18 year old replica..........thats not to bad a deal.

It would appear to be a very good deal, although the two-tone interior, ghost stripes and wheel offsets aren't my particular taste.

somedayaurora 02-03-2010 09:05 AM

Go

its the first BDR :LOL:
SDR
________
Kh500

PatBuckley 02-03-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1025167)
Not only that, but it looks like it had a small block under the hood :LOL:

Bill S.

I was going to mention that but didn't want to get Cranky fired up!

Gunner 02-03-2010 09:21 AM

Small block, something very wrong with the wheels and hubs. Strange gray interior. Slightly oddball stripes (pretty, but odd). 18 years old. Unknown mileage. Three owners. SW gauges. Other evident mods. Probably needs a complete go-through on bearings, bushings, etc. as well.

Probably a fair price. A judicious $10k and some work would fix most of the flaws, except the engine, and if you're an SB fan, that's not a flaw.

Seller probably never heard of Cobra Country - and certainly hasn't read Curt's photo tips; look at the steering wheel in a goofy position and blocking the dash.

Buzz 02-03-2010 09:23 AM

It's those newer ERA's running around with dual roll bars I tell ya. Confusing the whole ERA market. Bob ought to get a court order to have them all amputated! :LOL::LOL:

Jim Holden 02-03-2010 12:14 PM

The motor does look to be an FE with a single plane intake. The picture does not show a turkey pan. The wheels look like 17". All of the electrics appear to have been taken off the firewall and moved elsewhere. So, all in all, a bit of "street rod" to the treatment, but as has been commented, nothing that can't be reversed. Given the fact that the car is now some 20 years old and there have been numerous changes to the ERA427SC in the interim, the price appears a little low, but not excessively so. I sold ERA140 approximately 20 years ago for $36k and made money on it and it was similarly equipped (ie; only one roll bar).

Jim

Gunner 02-03-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Holden (Post 1025283)
The motor does look to be an FE with a single plane intake.

I think you're right. I overlooked the rear breather. I don't think any SB manifold has a breather hole there. But then, you don't see this kind of air-gap high-riser on many Cobra FEs, either. Surprised it fits...

rustyBob 02-03-2010 12:56 PM

At that price it's a car that someone can take
and have some fun with and not worry about it....
great starter car........

1985 CCX 02-03-2010 04:04 PM

Auctions are soooo fickle when buyers are buying emotionally versus for investment. A fancy painted low end car can easily outbid a high end car simply because it is an emotional buy.

Auctions are alway's a crap shoot....

767Jockey 02-03-2010 04:15 PM

Hmmmm.....an FE equipped ERA goes for that price? I'm not nuts about the paint scheme but I've seen lot's worse. The wheels can be replaced with the proper ones for about a grand. Don't like the two tone interior scheme? replace the rug - less than a grand. The seats and dash appear to be already the proper black. The engine is a Edelbrock Victor equipped Ford FE. If it has a Victor, which is a high RPM intake, it's probably a fairly aggressive engine. I think this car was an absolute steal. With an all black interior and those Billboards mounted on a set of wheels with the proper offset, this would be a really nice car. If it came up again at auction I would jump all over it for that price. Someone got a steal.

Kramer 02-03-2010 04:17 PM

FWIW....I saw the car down there and I think there and met the seller. He told me it was a 428 motor in the car. Also, the weather was CRAPPY, that day. And that is an understatement. (not my interested in color, stripes, tires, etc....but the car looked very clean. If I remember right, the guy bought the car for $35K and was hoping to get that out of it.

Kramer