Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default Current lead time to get ERA 427

Guys,
What is the current lead time from order to getting a 427 Cobra. I anticipate it will be painted in CT but not a roller.

I think my 178 is sold - the time to order a new ERA is getting very close.

John
Old 02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Guys,
What is the current lead time from order to getting a 427 Cobra. I anticipate it will be painted in CT but not a roller.

I think my 178 is sold - the time to order a new ERA is getting very close.

John
You have to call them. But what I tell people that ask me that, or similar questions, is just go ahead and send them a check for five grand. That reserves your slot and gets you in the queue, plus, if you change your mind, you get all your money back anyway. One of the problems with any sort of "guesstimate" is that it is just that -- a guess. People get sick, parts run short, things happen, etc. But I think they'll generally get it right within a three month window.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

There is only one sure way to get a delivery date firm enough to plan on.

Call Peter and ask him. Wait 3 days. Call Peter and ask him again (voice slightly disguised). Wait 3 days. Get a friend to call Peter a third time and ask him. (he'll know your voice by the third time).

Take an average of the three delivery times (I guarantee they'll be different). This will be your "ERA moving delivery average" and I it will be moving.

Divide your moving average by 365 and multiply by the current price of a "Grinder" in New Britain.

Send $5,000 and start the whole process over again. The one thing you can say for certain using this method is that at the six month mark, you will be six months closer to getting a truly amazing car. Its worth the wait.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Grubby:

The admonition to call Peter three times and average the answers, etc. is an interesting observation.

So much depends on what "stage" car you are seeking; turn-key, painted roller, unpainted roller, kit, etc. My experience has been to give Peter the downdeposit and then go on about other projects, scrounge for parts and otherwise occupy my time until the gestation period is up.

Jim
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Like Jim said - depends a LOT on what you are ordering. Quickest would be unpainted kit. The painting will normally add a few weeks to a month - in my experience. Obviously a turn key will be the longest ( 9 - 12 months normally - if there is such a thing in ERA speak). Important is to let Peter know up front if you want it fast and have the cash ready to dole out as it advances. Some people aren't in a hurry - and are putting cash aside as the car advances... and are in "take it easy" mode. I let Peter know I wanted one asap - put down my $5000.00, and got a chassis in a week as someone else was "waffling" a little. Talk to Peter - he is the ONLY one who can give you a guesstimate.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I would think 9-14 months, perhaps longer for a turn key.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

I am building a new house at the same time and don't want the Cobra to be ready when I am not. It sounds like a call to Peter to get things moving is the best bet.

I must be a glutten for punishment. A new house and car in the same year.

I can't wait to spec the car exactly like I want. Owning 178 gave me a really good idea what I am after. I also don't want to be without a Cobra for too long.

482, TKO600, heater, six pins, ERA rear - this is exciting already.

John
Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

I got my roller through Cobra Restorers Ltd.. They used to have cars on order. When I told them that I wanted one, I had it in less than 8 weeks. I think they have a slabside on order. Give them a call 770-427-0020. Other friends of mine have gone this route as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I would think 9-14 months, perhaps longer for a turn key.

Bill S.
But Bill, where on earth could he possibly find a high-quality, reasonably-priced ERA roadster in less time than that?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Just as RL said above, the paint work is the wild card here. Peter has a hold on his shop and can tell you pretty accurately when it would be ready for delivery, but cannot predict when the paint would be done. Call Peter and he'll know how to proceed. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Something to Think About...

Rollbars. You're either going to have one driver hoop, a hoop for both driver and passenger, a single full-width bar (like the recent thread of Tom Kirkham's car (http://clubcobra.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=79), or no bar at all. I recently posted a shot of my car with no roll bars at all -- it looks awfully cool that way, but frankly, not too safe. And, of course, I take a little bit of guff for my dual roll bars, but some people like it that way (me, for instance), and there are benefits to it as well... but some people don't like them. Track-wise, there's a real advantage to the full-width bar. But you can't have it all... or can you? ERA roll bars easily bolt in and out. If you have the bulkhead fabbed for dual roll bars (like mine) and instruct Walt to fab little spring-caps for the holes in the body, and have them painted to match the car and stripes, you can then have single, dual, and ERA will fab you a full-width roll bar as well that bolts right in, all the while being able to plug the other holes and it will look absolutely beautiful. Now come on, being able to switch between one, dual, and full-width is pretty cool, huh?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But Bill, where on earth could he possibly find a high-quality, reasonably-priced ERA roadster in less time than that?
Cobracountry? Ebay? Craigslist, Here on Club Cobra? On the phone first thing Monday morning? Only he will know what is right for him

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Just as RL said above, the paint work is the wild card here. Peter has a hold on his shop and can tell you pretty accurately when it would be ready for delivery, but cannot predict when the paint would be done. Call Peter and he'll know how to proceed. Good luck.
You are right, paint time is a wild card. ERA uses (2) different painters (both are excellent), one being Connecticut Custom. They just did my car and their process takes 6 weeks to do all the steps from bodywork to clear coat. Here is the deal, which they are very up front about, it takes 6 weeks from when they start work on your car, not from when it gets to their shop. Diane did keep me informed as to when work would start on my car and it was done a bit sooner that I expected. So, count on 6 to 10 weeks would be my guess.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Rollbars. You're either going to have one driver hoop, a hoop for both driver and passenger, a single full-width bar (like the recent thread of Tom Kirkham's car (http://clubcobra.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=79), or no bar at all. I recently posted a shot of my car with no roll bars at all -- it looks awfully cool that way, but frankly, not too safe. And, of course, I take a little bit of guff for my dual roll bars, but some people like it that way (me, for instance), and there are benefits to it as well... but some people don't like them. Track-wise, there's a real advantage to the full-width bar. But you can't have it all... or can you? ERA roll bars easily bolt in and out. If you have the bulkhead fabbed for dual roll bars (like mine) and instruct Walt to fab little spring-caps for the holes in the body, and have them painted to match the car and stripes, you can then have single, dual, and ERA will fab you a full-width roll bar as well that bolts right in, all the while being able to plug the other holes and it will look absolutely beautiful. Now come on, being able to switch between one, dual, and full-width is pretty cool, huh?

I wrestled with the roll bar conundrum as well for my ERA FIA and working with Peter and crew we came up with a first for their FIA car. I'll have (2) setups, the first with the single hoop forward brace FIA bar, and the second setup a full width bar with a forward brace (some of the early race cars had a similar setup).

The bottom line, as Patrick points out, let the guys at ERA know what you are after and chances are a creative and acceptable solution can more than likely be found.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Not sure if this helps but I ordered #782 in May 09 and it was delivered 3 weeks ago - no painting. I told Peter all along that I wanted delivery in Feb at the earliest so don't rush it. He had it ready in early Dec but agreed to just sit on it until after the first of the year.

I've noticed that #783 - which must have been ordered shortly after mine - and which is being painted prior to delivery, appears to still be in their shop.

Maybe this will help a little but it has to depend on how much 427 car business they have underway.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

A lot also depends on how many "extras" you plan to add to the list.

As you add other parts, delays can occur due to limited parts availability.

-Ray
Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

I ordered my 427 in August 2008. I actually asked Peter to hold up on it for a while when the economy went south, but then they got right back on it when I called again. Delivered it end of April 2009. My was basic kit - I bonded the body myself, etc.
Peter had to ship a few of the parts later on, biggest delay was the Jag center section; I din't get it until mid-September.

So, best answer: Talk to Peter, tell him when you want it and how much you want them to do. He'll give you the best estimate for sure, but don't believe him! Add a couple of months at least.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Ordered (with initial deposit) Sept. 17, 2007; chassis # received (and second deposit sent) July 1, 2008; kit received July 13, 2009 (via Intercity Lines--outstanding service). My kit is the street version (with splitter and undercar exhaust; no hood scoop or roll bar). I wanted to paint the frame myself, but it was either powdercoated or epoxy-painted--I can't tell which (it was discounted somewhat since I didn't order it). I did order all of the holes drilled as if ERA was permanently mounting the body themselves, and all but about twenty were drilled. (I am also deburring the holes as I go). I also ordered a lot of optional parts. Over 99% were delivered with the car, and the few remaining arrived shortly thereafter.

I would guess that the optional parts (most were mounted, so the holes are already there), the undercar exhaust, and having ERA drill all of the other holes all led to the length of time that elapsed between original order and delivery. It was worth the wait, and I completed engine sourcing/gearbox sourcing/most of the Jag rear-end work during that time along with other Cobra-replica related projects.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
Ordered (with initial deposit) Sept. 17, 2007; chassis # received (and second deposit sent) July 1, 2008; kit received July 13, 2009 (via Intercity Lines--outstanding service).
Could you have gotten it sooner? Surely it doesn't take two years to get an ERA now?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 - #783
Not Ranked     

As my turnkey 427 #783 is up on the lift at ERA and looking to get delivered in the next few weeks, here's a rundown of how things are currently:

ERA Build Timeline

6/10/2009 - Mailed 1st deposit
8/13/2009 - Body finished
8/26/2009 - Received letter assigning chassis #783
10/29/2009 - Car received at CT Custom Car for bodywork and paint
12/17/2009 - Body work finished awaiting paint
1/6/2010 - Car painted
1/13/2010 - Car returned to ERA
3/9/2010 - Looking to have delivery in the next few weeks!

So I would say about 10 months for me for a turnkey.

ERA Registry Map

If you have an ERA and want to be listed, contact me with your info and I'll put it up. The minimum info I need is chassis number and location. The rest is up to you. The most information needed would be: chassis number, body type, city, name, CC nickname, and email address.

Last edited by Mooch; 03-09-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: fixed time warp pointed out by patrickt