Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default soft top/hard top and side window questions

Guys,
I have owned ERA 178 for about 1 year. It is a blast to drive and I am thinking about adding a top.

Do the plexiglass side windows that are used with hard tops and soft tops open with the door? Or do they open gull wing style to get in? Do the hard tops mount to the body using the ferrule that is behind the door or is another anchor point typically added to the body? There is no rear ferrule on my car; is it something that can be added?

Pictures would be a plus if you guys have any.

Thanks.
John
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65' SPF (511 CID) FE 427 Alum Block Shelby /Roush 600hp-625fpt sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Check out my gallery. I have an SPF and the hard top is great. It clamps to the windshield and then at two points, one behind each door. works great. never had the side windows in though. In Arizona not really a need for them. I do have them and I can't see driving in the snow here.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Default Nice Top...

Very nice hard top, who makes it and where did you get it from?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
Do the plexiglass side windows that are used with hard tops and soft tops open with the door? Or do they open gull wing style to get in? ... There is no rear ferrule on my car; is it something that can be added?
The side curtains that are used with a soft top fit in to ferrules in the door. If you have no ferrules, you can install them. Here is a shot of my side curtains. As you can see, they slide open.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Grubby:

Not an expert on this but I'm fairly certain the side curtains fit into the three holes in the door and do open with the door horizontally or with the swing of the door. As for the hard top I've never seen an ERA with one but I am sure someone else can give you feedback. Best to call Peter on this one. My guess is because ERA cars are very exact you could get a third party top for an original style car...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Patrickt:

Roughly what did the side curtains cost?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
Patrickt:

Roughly what did the side curtains cost?
The side curtains from ERA are $750.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65' SPF (511 CID) FE 427 Alum Block Shelby /Roush 600hp-625fpt sideoiler
Not Ranked     

My hard top is a Superformance. Ordered direct for their plant. Delivered by boat.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm interested in ERA's new slabside 289, but I'd like a hardtop/side curtains. Unique offers them (not the LeMans, just a bubble top). Any reason why it wouldn't work on the ERA?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I ordered my side curtains months ago, there still on back order. It's a bit frustrating because I'd like to put on the soft top, which arrived months ago, but am a little afraid to proceed with having the side curtains at the same time.

The windshield will need to be adjusted (tilted) to get a good seal on the side curtains. Once the windshield position is set, THEN you can stretch/cut the front of the top to fit the windshield.

Bob P. sent me a pattern of the side curtains so perhaps I will have to proceed with that...

If you ask Peter about side curtains you better be darn sure you really really want a set. They leak, their noisy, they don't fit well, they will likely not line up perfectly with your exisiting holes in the doors and Peter doesn't like them in general. But I still want a set in spite of that,,, so I'm waiting,,, and waiting,,, and waiting.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
little afraid to proceed with having the side curtains at the same time.
Your right don't do it, at any given speed i know on my SPF without sidewindows would not be strong enough to withstand the flow of air flowing into the compartment area.

Skip....
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Really Lame Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
If you ask Peter about side curtains you better be darn sure you really really want a set. They leak, their noisy, they don't fit well, they will likely not line up perfectly with your exisiting holes in the doors and Peter doesn't like them in general. But I still want a set in spite of that,,, so I'm waiting,,, and waiting,,, and waiting.
He's absolutely right. I got them, and you want to know why I got them? So that when I pass on and leave my car to one of my kids they don't say "I wonder why dad never got side curtains, and it's too late now as the company that built his car went out of business when all of the guys there died as well." I'm not kidding you Ernie, that's the only reason I bought them (and I'll admit that's probably the lamest reason one could possibly come up with). You know I don't even open the garage door if the weather is below the high 50's or if it looks like rain.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Patrick:

Any chance you could post some really good close-up photos of your side curtains off the car to show all the different sides (inside/outside/top/bottom) and what the tracks look like that the plexi section slides in?

I'm looking to add a LeMans HT to my car and may just venture into fabricating my own.

My email is allen.bishop@volvo.com

PS. And I promise to never make fun of your duel rollbars.....ever!

Thanks!

- Allen.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had side curtains on my Excalibur and I used them a number of times, not a lot, but they were nice to have when I needed them. At times, even in Hawaii, it actually does get cold and rainy. I lived in a sort of mountainous area, higher elevation and definitely colder than town. I DO drive in the rain and now being in Oregon I expect to see more of that than I did before, so for me, side curtains (along with my newly installed heater) are a must have.

This past winter I was riding my motorcycle down into the 40 degree range, thats just about as cold as I can go though.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
I'm looking to add a LeMans HT to my car and may just venture into fabricating my own.
Before you get too far, check with Mr. Bruce. He's in your backyard and can fit the top right to the car.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Spooky - could you post photos of the connection points behind the doors? On the ERA FIA there are two ferrules, part of the chassis, behind each door latch, for installing the soft top frame. If the Superformance top could be "modified" to fit the FIA body - I would be interested in purchasing one!!!!!! What does Superformance charge for their hard top? Thanks, Rick.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I drove me Excalibur a LOT with just the soft top on, no side curtains. I used it primarily for the shade, it's HOT in Hawaii. I wouldn't go over more than 60-65 mph with it though, at that speed it did fine.

Also, it was Hartz cloth, unfortunately ERA does not offer Hartz cloth as an option, just the standard vinyl stuff (or what ever it is). I to considered a hard top, but a friend of mine in Hawaii said he was disappointed with his. Here's why. He would start out on a nice cruise and at some point would want to put the top down,,, cannot!!! Once the hard top is on your stuck with it until you get home, I like the flexibility of a soft top.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick:

Any chance you could post some really good close-up photos of your side curtains off the car to show all the different sides (inside/outside/top/bottom) and what the tracks look like that the plexi section slides in?

My email is allen.bishop@volvo.com

Thanks!

- Allen.
Deal. They're packed away down in the basement, but if you give me a few days to unpack them I'll take a couple of dozen shots, with tape measures and all, and set up a page for you with thumbnails linked to hi-def shots. I should be able to bang that out by next weekend. Sound good?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...wish you were a neighbor Pat, I'd borrow those side curtains, lock in my windshield setting and get my darn soft top installed!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks!

- Allen.
I sure hope he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said that.
Beechg35 likes this.