Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default ERA FIA Tonneau Cover Questions

Have some tonneau cover questions ... trying do decide if I want to have a cover made for my car (ERA 2136 is still under construction). I use the one on my TR all the time, might be useful on the Cobra.

- Anyone have photos of their ERA FIA tonneau cover installed on their car? Interested in how it fits around the roll bar and forward brace.

- A lot of British cars use a tonneau cover design that is split down the middle with a zipper. Is the ERA cover set up the same way?

- If so, anyone drive their car with the passenger side covered? ( ... and yes, I know it doesn't work so well with the drivers side covered )

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

If you plan to do any overnight driving they are great! (Short of a soft top)
They keep the car dry, mine has the zipper so half cockpit is closed while rain driving......
Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396W Kirkham KMPS036
Not Ranked     

Sorry no photos. I use mine quite a bit. It keeps the seats cool while parked. The cover is not split down the center (ala European covers) because the roll bar diagonal interferes. It has velcro flaps that go around the roll bars.

I use mine while driving by simply folding the drivers side under the passenger side. Its handy on cooler days as it helps the heater warm the cockpit.

Check ERA's website for pictures.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Sorry, but I don't have any pictures of an FIA with tonneau cover installed. Maybe Bob Mc will take some pictures of his next time it's convenient.

The 427 cover, installed:
http://erareplicas.com/427/img/tonneau.jpg
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McLinden View Post
Sorry no photos. I use mine quite a bit. It keeps the seats cool while parked. The cover is not split down the center (ala European covers) because the roll bar diagonal interferes. It has velcro flaps that go around the roll bars.

I use mine while driving by simply folding the drivers side under the passenger side. Its handy on cooler days as it helps the heater warm the cockpit.

Check ERA's website for pictures.

Bob,

Folding the cover under sounds like a clever idea, does the cover flap or 'drum' at freeway speeds?

As Bob P suggested if you (or any other ERA FIA owners) have the time, any photos would be great. I took a quick look at the ERA website, found photos of the top, but did not readily see any pictures of FIA tonneau covers.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Folded under, it is not taunt enough to "drum". It does flap around abit but with all the other noises going on at highway speeds (our speed limits are 75 so we tend to cruise at 85+) there is no negative effects. I wish I could say the same for my hat.

I'll attempt to get some pictures in the next few days
Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'll attempt to get some pictures in the next few days

In your gallery, there is already a picture of your FIA with the cover installed...
Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeffy you're quick. I just uploaded three new pics of the tonneau both unfolded and tucked under. I will attempt to insert them here. The older pics don't show the details around the roll bar very well.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tkb289 here is the second showing how I tuck it under. Bob P if you want to use these for anything go ahead. There are some others in my gallery.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, the point you're all missing is that the cover used when driving, is a speed limiting device. It will abrade the paint and stress the screw-in lift-a-dot pins in the fiberglass. The first time I drove with it half open going through 70mph, it immediately made me slow down and pull over to remove it.

Unless you 'parade' and go very slowly on the highway-use it when the car is parked in the sun only.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
tkb289 here is the second showing how I tuck it under. Bob P if you want to use these for anything go ahead. There are some others in my gallery.
Bob,

Great photos showing the cover, now I have a better idea of what the setup will look like ... thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Guys, the point you're all missing is that the cover used when driving, is a speed limiting device. It will abrade the paint and stress the screw-in lift-a-dot pins in the fiberglass. The first time I drove with it half open going through 70mph, it immediately made me slow down and pull over to remove it.

Unless you 'parade' and go very slowly on the highway-use it when the car is parked in the sun only.

Chas ... I can understand what you are saying, at speed the cover is probably going to move around a lot, especially the faster one goes ...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

I've always thought they were practical, but have no experience with them. I wouldn't mind adding it to my list, but....does constant use cause any damage to paintwork or stress the pins as ERA Chas alluded to?

Glen
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use mine when the car is parked outdoors to keep the seat cool and debris and leaves out. Works great, looks good. Forget highway use or be prepared for paint work.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I use mine when the car is parked outdoors to keep the seat cool and debris and leaves out. Works great, looks good. Forget highway use or be prepared for paint work.
So if just using it when parked, no damage or noticeable wear to paint? Over what length of time have you been using it?

Glen
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Mine has been "tested" at high speeds with on damage. It works good to keep some water out when washing the car, & Lulu says that it makes a great cat hammock.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
So if just using it when parked, no damage or noticeable wear to paint? Over what length of time have you been using it?

Glen
Being careful on and off, zero wear. Since about '92...
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Glen-

I'm the contrarian. After I saw the body of my car painted, I decided to minimize any distractions to the shape and eliminated both the the lift-a-dot snaps and the holes for the side-curtains, opting for art over practicality! Doug told me he was surprised by how much difference it made to the cars appearance:

Without a heater, this is definitely a fair-weather car. I'll stow a full cover in the trunk for emergencies!

Jeff
Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

The body certainly looks slick, but originality of appearance has been lost.

It all depends on what you want.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscobra View Post
The body certainly looks slick, but originality of appearance has been lost.
You make a good point, authenticity does suffer. However, it is easy enough to add the posts and holes if originality (or staying warm and dry!) becomes the priority, but it requires a repaint to delete them. Doug wouldn't even drill the holes for the "Powered by Ford" badges (he prefers no badges at all); he attached them with double-sided tape in case I ever come around to his thinking.

Last edited by jeffy; 02-20-2011 at 10:45 AM..