Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Slabside Question...

Is the slabside now in "active" production? The web page for the car still says "Official production of the ERA Slabside will begin in late-2010."

Here we are in early 2011... can someone please give me an update? I want to order one... but don't see much current information online. Thanks!

Bill
Old 03-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Yes you can order one. Need to contact Peter at ERA for specific pricing etc.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The body mold is done and the second "Slabside" is up at Tony's getting a paint job (with the owner to take the car and build it up after paint). The welding shop is to start on chassis "3003" this week. Wire wheel hubs are on the "shelf". So production is underway. Peter indicates that he has a half dozen deposits on the slabside and more to come once folks know the car is in production.

Jim
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Jim
I'd love to hear more about those wire wheel hubs. ERA product? Bolt-on or original style?
Larry
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The wire wheel hub is a bolt-on to a modified GM front hub and the rear Jag bolt-on flange. Similar to the bottom flange shown in the picture. There are many different adapters available, but we had to have the original (AC) one made to get the correct wheel offset. All the other commercially available ones brought the wheels out too much.

Last edited by strictlypersonl; 03-13-2011 at 04:33 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3002 Slabside
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Slabside Question

This is very interesting news as I would be one of the "half-dozen on order" Jim referred to. This is obviously a question for Peter but I have always been concerned about wheels and tires on the slabside. I had never considered going with the wire wheels as a 215x70x15 tire even with todays compounds is not much especially when most performance tires start at 16 inch. At least this is what I could determine is what the tire would be. I was hopeful of going with a Torque Thrust D wheel or similar. I have tried searching but not found much on maximum wheel tire combinations for the slabside. Anyone have any info on this?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!
Larry
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA slabside on order
Not Ranked     

That's great news as I sent my deposit back in Nov-10. I can't wait to get my chassis number.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1013 View Post
This is very interesting news as I would be one of the "half-dozen on order" Jim referred to. This is obviously a question for Peter but I have always been concerned about wheels and tires on the slabside. I had never considered going with the wire wheels as a 215x70x15 tire even with todays compounds is not much especially when most performance tires start at 16 inch. At least this is what I could determine is what the tire would be. I was hopeful of going with a Torque Thrust D wheel or similar. I have tried searching but not found much on maximum wheel tire combinations for the slabside. Anyone have any info on this?
Thanks
If you are going with the under-car exhaust system, the maximum tire section is about 10" (very tight between a 2" pipe and the tire).

In desperation, Avons are available in 225-65-15 sizes, about the biggest tire that will fit on a 6" Dunlop wheel. I'll have to figure out what backspacing is required to fit a 7"-wide wheel (if I can get the wheel to fit at all).

*Doing a search on Tire Rack, I came up with two "Ultra-high performance" tires in the 225-60-15 size.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

S1013

I'm interested that someone would, on the one hand, want a slabside and then immediately contemplate putting "big rubber" under it. The good folks at Shelby had that problem 45 years ago and had AC develop the FIA/USRRC body style...

Jim
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
S1013

I'm interested that someone would, on the one hand, want a slabside and then immediately contemplate putting "big rubber" under it. The good folks at Shelby had that problem 45 years ago and had AC develop the FIA/USRRC body style...

Jim
Shelby's getting a little "mature" lately, but look at his comment in the last moments of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liLpiev54lA
Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I'm interested that someone would, on the one hand, want a slabside and then immediately contemplate putting "big rubber" under it.

Visions of the fabled FFR Slabside complete with dubs and spinners.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Neutral     

Quote:
S1013

Jim
A compromise between the slabside and the FIA are the flares and spats that were incorporated on the three "Sebring" racers (CSX 2127, 2128 and 2129) built in 1963. Tony could do the rear flares in a snap and I'm sure Peter P. could get Teddy to fabricate the spats. THAT would be very cool, IMO!

Rear flares to accomodate wider wheels and tires:

Front spats and kidney bean wheels, the correct wheel for this pre-FIA racer:

You could also get Peter to fabricate this plate for a cool recessed filler cap:

And get him to build this awesome looking dash:

Finish it off with black kidney bean wheels, black roll bar, riveted hood and hood scoop and you have a one-of-a-kind ERA! Go for it!

More pics of CSX 2129 here:

http://www.csxinfo.net/web/modules/x...s.php?album=63
Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dang, Jeffy. You tipped my hand as to the "evolution" competition slabside...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

But then it's a race car, not a gentleman's sporting carriage.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dang, Jeffy. You tipped my hand as to the "evolution" competition slabside...
If it had been available when I placed my order, it would be mine soon!