Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     
Default Suspension settling?

How much suspension settling should I expect after driving the car? Rear coils are set at maximum low position in the photo. I am not setting at ERA recommended heights.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

You shouldn't get much settling. Certainly less than 1/2", and probably closer to 1/4".
Old 06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Wolf - What are your minimum ground clearances with the ride height set at minimum?

Bob- How much adjustability is there, front and rear, for the ride height?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen, with the above setting, ground clearance is 3.5 in. at the oil pan. That is the lowest point on my car. That is with a stock style steel pan. The next lowest point is 3.75 in. at the mufflers which are under car mounted. The frame is at 4.25 in. front, 4.75 in. rear. The frame would be the low points if running low profile pan and side exhaust. There is probably 2-3 in. of suspension height adjustment.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wolf - how do you adjust the suspension height, and is it easy to adjust?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Glen, the suspension is adjusted by the coil overs. The one thing to remember though is the more you raise the car, the more "other" adjustments you have to make. I set my car to the ERA specs and locked the jamb locks on and that's it. Then you have to set the rest of the suspension, the camber, the toe, etc. If you change the ride heights AFTER this, it throws off everything (camber front and rear!) I even put weight in the driver seat to set the suspension up, old race car days. The only difference is when you have the new ERA rear end. BUT, it should be easier as there is way more adjust ability out of that than the Jag unit!! I don't really believe you have 2" to 3" of travel though. There can't be, other wise you would need longer lower arms all the way around and longer half shafts. When the car is set up right, you might have maybe 3/4" to 1" I would imagine before other things get screwy. The suspension only travels so much and it's not like a regular street car. My car has maybe 1" of travel between the shocks and their stops. The coils I can barely get a finger between and I still have plenty of suspension. My car drives wonderfully and handles excellent. I wish my everyday car drove like this car!! Regards, Matt
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA-ERA View Post
...I don't really believe you have 2" to 3" of travel though. There can't be, other wise you would need longer lower arms all the way around and longer half shafts. When the car is set up right, you might have maybe 3/4" to 1" ...Regards, Matt
I'm a little obsessive about wheel travel, so with either rear suspension there's 3.5" jounce, 3.3" rebound available at normal ride height. Lower it 1" and you still have 2.5" jounce available. Since the lowered cars typically use stiffer springs for the track, 2.5" should be adequate.

I HATE cars that hit the bump stops.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen, the threaded collar at the base of the spring, around the shock, is where the ride height is adjusted. It is easily adjusted with a special spanner that fits the collars. Have to adjust with weight off the springs. There is 4 in. of adjustment at the front shock. However, there is a ratio between ride height and spring collar height. ERA says it is 1:1.5. So a 4 in. span in spring collar adjustment equals a 6 in. span in ride height. The rear spring collar has a smaller span, looks like about 2 in. Matt is correct in that adjusting ride height, throws wheel alignment out.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Matt, Bob, Wolf - thanks for the adjustment info.
Where I'm coming from is ...at registration check time when the clearance is checked, could I adjust the body upwards if needed if I'm not quite making the 4" required. Looks like I have some leeway there. This is on my car which doesn't yet exist, you understand (but I'm always thinking ahead).
Cheers,
Glen