Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Era 3002 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/111205-era-3002-a.html)

Jim Holden 06-13-2011 08:02 AM

Era 3002

1 Attachment(s)
Woody Menear's beautiful silver/blue ERA3002 (the second slabside to be built) has arrived back at the shop in New Britain. Woody plans to build it up himself. Pictures of Woody's car are in my gallary...

Jim

jeffy 06-13-2011 08:39 AM

I saw it on Saturday and it is a real head-turner. A Ferrari color Peter told me. For anyone considering a Princess Alice/Viling blue, get this paint code from Peter P. first and have your painter make up a sample. It looks GREAT!!!

Murky781 06-13-2011 08:46 AM

Hey Jimmy, Jeff--- Saw it this morning, and it is beautiful. Pulled the trigger and gave Peter a check to start the wife's slabside, a copy of csx2541. Hope you are both well and driving fast!

Jim Holden 06-13-2011 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Woody has been a great help in this project, putting me directly in touch with Charlie Schroeder at Dayton Wire wheels. ERA now has the correct splined hubs for fitment of the correct-look wire wheels. Car 3003 chassis and body is being "married" and Peter calls to yell; "I've got another deposit on slabside and now I have to build the damn things." (or words to that effect.)

As I recall, Woody plans to have red leather seats with a black piping detail. Should be a great combination with the car color.

Jim

1985 CCX 06-13-2011 11:43 AM

Sweet build! Kudos ERA :MECOOL:

*13* 06-13-2011 12:02 PM

Me want!!!

xb-60 06-13-2011 03:32 PM

Hmm....I like the colour
Cheers,
Glen

tkb289 06-13-2011 10:32 PM

Jim,

ERA 3002 looks great, thanks for sharing ... very nice color. Should look sharp with wire wheels and that beautiful grille !

How are the foot boxes on the ERA slabsides ... are they the same as on the FIA car ?

With number 3003 in the works, sounds like ERA could have more in the pipe line in the not too distant future. Your car must have been a real challenge, being the first one. I would imagine they will get the process down pretty quickly for the slabside cars ... they sure do look good ... :cool:

- Tim

Jim Holden 06-14-2011 04:57 AM

Tim:

The footboxes are the same as in the FIA. The majority of the changes were from the middle of the door to the rear. The frame was modified to delete the rear cutback door post and substitute a big block style post and was narrowed 1" for a slightly narrower track. The changes to the body were minimal in front; just the lip of the fender flares. The big changes were, of course, the doors and the rear quarters. An entirely new mold was made for the "slabside" bodies.

Jim

Fullchat289 06-14-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Holden (Post 1134390)
Woody has been a great help in this project, putting me directly in touch with Charlie Schroeder at Dayton Wire wheels. ERA now has the correct splined hubs for fitment of the correct-look wire wheels......

Jim:

I think this is a huge bonus. Having the correct dayton wires on this car is a critical element to bring the car to the level it should be as an ERA offering. It's certainly one more reason I would do an ERA slabside...

Will you be "upgrading" your hubs/wheels with these new Daytons?

BTW, does your wife wear a scarf 'round her head and big dark sunglasses while driving the car? That would be absolutely classic!

- Allen.

LMH 06-14-2011 07:11 AM

Nice!
I think the correct Dayton wheel is D464 if your're replicating a MKII.
Larry

Fullchat289 06-14-2011 07:54 AM

I'm assuming they would look something like these? (borrowed from csxinfo.net)

http://www.csxinfo.net/web/modules/x.../10003/p10.jpg

I would have these in painted silver in a heartbeat.

- Allen.

LMH 06-14-2011 12:17 PM

Yes, that's what they will look like. "Well-laced" and for Rudge splined hubs. They can be bought painted or chrome too. Painted sure has a vintage look but nothings prettier than polished spoked wheels.
Larry

Jim Holden 06-14-2011 02:18 PM

ERA3001 has the correct AC knock-offs and wire wheels. These are now available though ERA (hubs and knock-offs) and Dayton (wheels).

See: The ERA 289 Slabside The pictures are of my car, ERA 3001

Spouse Suzanne does drive the car wearing sunglasses. I'll bring the scarf accessory to her attention...

Jim

strictlypersonl 06-14-2011 04:30 PM

Calling the D464 a Dayton wheel is a bit misleading. While Dayton distributes them, I suspect that all the parts come from Dunlop (or someone in England that does repros for other British cars). Native Dayton wheels are not spline drive, but are driven by a serrated plate on the back mounting surface. They look similar, but the discerning eye can tell the difference.

Mark IV 06-14-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1134626)
Calling the D464 a Dayton wheel is a bit misleading. While Dayton distributes them, I suspect that all the parts come from Dunlop (or someone in England that does repros for other British cars). Native Dayton wheels are not spline drive, but are driven by a serrated plate on the back mounting surface. They look similar, but the discerning eye can tell the difference.

I am told the "Dunlops" are sourced in India (yes, thank you very much)

Jim Holden 06-14-2011 07:39 PM

...and just to further compound the wire wheel "fitment" decision; "center lace" vs. "outer lace" wheels.

Jim

LMH 06-14-2011 10:20 PM

Aren't the well-laced wheels 6" width while the outer-laced wheels are 5.5"?
Not sure how Dayton sizes them.
Personally I don't like the looks of the wheels that use the bolt-on adapter. The center spoke hub of the wheel just looks wrong. Just my opinion of course.
Larry

Jim Holden 06-15-2011 12:32 PM

Dayton's wire wheels have an interlaced hub (rather than splines) that hold the wheel in place.

The hubs and AC knock-offs that ERA will offer are sourced from England and are "as original". The wheels available from Dayton are, of course, splined to fit.

Jim

LMH 06-15-2011 12:50 PM

So are Dayton spline wheels and Dunlop spline wheels actually one in the same?
Larry