Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Vented gas cap?

Bob, Is the gas cap vented on the FIA? I am running Webers with a return line. Pressure builds up in the tank and after a day or so, fuel begins to drip out the throttle shafts on to the manifold. I have to open the gas cap to release the pressure to prevent this from happening. What gas cap do I need?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I did a little research today and the present cap is a Stant 10810 (fits 1980 Mustang w/3.3L). I don't have a number for an equivalent two-way cap, but RockAuto lists the specs, which might help matching something up.
The problem is exacerbated by weak float resistance - Webers are only meant to run with 2.5 PSI.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Just went to Advanced Auto Parts and matched up a #10640 Stant vented cap, which fits a 1964 Ford Falcon or a 1955 Chevy all pre 1970. I'll see if this helps. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA 2131, 331 stroker by Dan Dalena with 48 IDAs by Jim Inglese, AC Cars AC8 "Rosso Chiaro" (PPG Nexa code FG39) by Connecticut Custom
Not Ranked     

Bob-

Is this something I should get for ERA 2131? Maybe John can order one.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Bob-

Is this something I should get for ERA 2131? Maybe John can order one.

Thanks,

Jeff
I think a vented cap is a necessity for a car with a carburetor. How do I know? My vented cap got plugged up and it built up enough pressure in the tank to push fuel past the needle valve in a Holley double pumper, flooding the engine routinely when it was shut off during a warm autocross event last year. Getting it started again was a bit dicey, and was definitely not environmentally friendly! Once I figured out the issue and cleared the vent, everything was fine.

Gary
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Question, I have an overflow line to the ground inside the fender. Hmm, is that outside or inside the tank/cap? I've never heard the gas venting when I've undone my gas cap.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2773 Ford Racing 427W
Not Ranked     

WardL ; The overfill vent only works when the cap off, its above the cap seal. SPF #2773 Jerry
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

For safety reasons, I'd rather stick with the one-way vent cap unless someone has a problem. This thread is the first I've heard of fuel leakage. Considering that fuel pumps have a check valve that keeps 5+ psi in the system all the time, I'm a little suspicious of problems occurring with 4bbl-equipped cars. In order to get 5 psi in the tank, the (absolute) temperature in the tank would have to rise by more than 100 deg F.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Vented caps only vent in, not out. So fuel pressure was building up inside the tank from the return line. I took the gas cap and drilled a 1/16 hole through the vent. Now it vents both ways and no more fuel leaking on the manifold.