Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Emergency brake issue

I have an older ERA - the emergency brake really doesn't work - it only engages about 1 " (off and on) - and it's old. I would like to replace it and "fix" it so that is works well. Is there a kit for this from ERA? Since I'll have to have a mechanic complete this task - what would be the approx. cost? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

The best access to the E-brake is via the cockpit after the tunnel has been removed. If I recall correctly there is one cable from the E-brake handle that goes to an adjustable bracket that leads to two cables, one for each brake.

So, adjustments are at the 1-to-2 bracket mentioned above, and at each wheel. A good mechanic will check to see what he can get adjusting at the wheels. THEN go to the effort of removing the two seats, easing back the carpet and removing the tunnel.

It really sounds like yours needs adjustment.

The only problem I had on my E-brake was the press-on bead at the end of the E-brake cable from the handle pulled off. ERA replaced the cable (my Cobra was brand-new at the time) and I fixed it myself. This is not too difficult to do yourself.

Cheers,
DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Very early cars used an XKE compensator, later cars used an ERA design. Very likely though, the emergency brake levers have internal parts that may need cleaning and a lube job. That requires that the levers come off the calipers. I don't remember whether that's possible without removing the calipers.
Jag emergency brack service
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Doug!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Very early cars used an XKE compensator, later cars used an ERA design. Very likely though, the emergency brake levers have internal parts that may need cleaning and a lube job. That requires that the levers come off the calipers. I don't remember whether that's possible without removing the calipers.
Jag emergency brack service
I have #91 - do you sell or know where I can secure the handle part, including the chrome around the handle of the emergency brake? It really needs to be replaced.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could have an XKE handle or, less likely, an ERA-made replacement. (I don't remember how long we've been making them...).

If the handle looks like this, it's one of ours:

We can supply parts or complete assemblies. It is also a bolt-in replacement for the XKE unit. - $250.

If the top of the tube is more rounded, it's an XKE. You'd have to have it re-chromed.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You could have an XKE handle or, less likely, an ERA-made replacement. (I don't remember how long we've been making them...).

If the top of the tube is more rounded, it's an XKE. You'd have to have it re-chromed.
Strange Bob. He has an earlier car than mine but mine came with the Jag. Possibly his was replaced in past with an ERA?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA154 427 HR
Not Ranked     

Mine is #154, and I have the jag unit too. Mine doesn't work at all, so next down time, I will be tearing the calipers apart and cleaning everything. May need a new cable though...

Jim
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

We can supply parts or complete assemblies. It is also a bolt-in replacement for the XKE unit. - $250.

This is a picture of my emergency brake - not a pretty sight, but a little different at the top from the one you posted - does that mean it's an XKE unit?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaflier View Post
Mine is #154, and I have the jag unit too. Mine doesn't work at all, so next down time, I will be tearing the calipers apart and cleaning everything. May need a new cable though...

Jim
Hmmmm.....sorry to hear that, but at least I'm not the only one facing this issue. I'm surprised that the 'workings' of an emergency brake are so complicated.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
This is a picture of my emergency brake - not a pretty sight, but a little different at the top from the one you posted - does that mean it's an XKE unit?
No mine, pictured, is an E-Type. Yours looks aftermarket, like a Lokar. ERA didn't supply that.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
No mine, pictured, is an E-Type. Yours looks aftermarket, like a Lokar. ERA didn't supply that.
You are probably right. More evidence - I ended up with an uninstalled, new Lokar EHB-7000F unit when I purchased the Cobra years ago. It's not anything like the one that is installed and pictured above. Now, I'm completely lost as to what course of action to take.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
You are probably right. More evidence - I ended up with an uninstalled, new Lokar EHB-7000F unit when I purchased the Cobra years ago. It's not anything like the one that is installed and pictured above. Now, I'm completely lost as to what course of action to take.
Buy Bob's complete unit for $250. And adjust your caliper levers right.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bliss's handle might be from a Jag sedan. Not one that we ever recommended.
If the original chassis bracket is still there, then our custom unit will fit.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#2067 SOLD
Not Ranked     

My handbrake problem is that it will not hold. Pull it up to engage and it "ratchets" back to the off position. Took it apart and found the teeth on the fixed portion and on the movable pawl were dubbed off.
I would like to get replacement parts if possible rather than replace the unit entirely.
Does anyone have source for these pieces?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVESS View Post
My handbrake problem is that it will not hold. Pull it up to engage and it "ratchets" back to the off position. Took it apart and found the teeth on the fixed portion and on the movable pawl were dubbed off.
I would like to get replacement parts if possible rather than replace the unit entirely.
Does anyone have source for these pieces?
That would be us. How are the teeth on the base. On the pawl?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response Bob.
The teeth on the mid-section of the base are shiny and show some wear, but the pawl teeth were very dubbed off. I put a file to the affected areas on the pawl teeth to create a new flat, but found they were all soft except for the first tooth (the file skated on this one and in fact this tooth was not worn). I believe #2067 was an '02 build.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few of the pieces weren't properly heat-treated. If you PM me your address (mine is 8 years old), I'll send you a new pawl. Not too difficult to put in.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very good and thanks.
ERA is the best.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
bliss's handle might be from a Jag sedan. Not one that we ever recommended.
If the original chassis bracket is still there, then our custom unit will fit.
I've verified with the seller (original owner) that the EB "was scavenged from a 1968 (I think???) E-Jaguar car being sold off as parts." He also stated that it never really worked all that well and that he "drilled a larger hole in the mount bracket and had to fit a bunch of washers to act as a spacer to get the brake handle to line-up correctly."

The original owner also stated that the original EB bracket is on the Cobra with the only alteration the larger hole noted above.

Therefore, is it safe to assume that the $250 EB entire kit that is offered by ERA will work on my Cobra? Will I also need to order the EB cable?

Emergency brake handle, chromed, ratchet fly-off, with bracket $250
Cable for above, Jag-based rear............................................ $50

If yes, is there a part number, etc. that I will need to order it? I assume that if it doesn't work I can send it back for a refund, right?

Thanks for your help.