Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cost for a turnkey ERA slabside?

OK....I know you can spend any amount of $$$ on these cars but here's what I'm looking for....

*ERA built turn key.
* color solid (non metalic red)
*Black leather interior
*Undercar exhaust (slabside so rear exiting)
* a Reliable , non race, streetable 302 w/a single carb (new crate motor?)
*Tremac 5 Speed
*Painted wire wheels (instead of chrome)

I plan on visiting ERA this week and getting in line (with my $5000 deposit) I'm not far from ERA (45 minutes) and have always been impressed with their quality.

This all started with me ALMOST buying a used ERA 427....The car was beautiful...BUT....man, it was loud, the side pipes made it tough to get out of, the steering was heavy with that 428 over those wide front wheels... and from what I've read here, it seems a lot of former 427 owners are moving into 289 slabs because they end up driving them a lot more. Apparently ERA's backlog is almost all 289 cars these days.

That's all I want....I nice reliable 289 slabside to drive around the back roads of New England and with the 5 speed, hit a stretch of RT95 every once and a while without revving the hell out of the engine.

The 427 is a real RACE CAR...Unbelievable, brutal, BEAUTIFUL!!!

But.....I'm looking for a CRUISER!

Any idea's on costs would be helpful!

Thanks folks.

Last edited by fdjake; 05-05-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Maybe... just maybe... you could bring it in for $75k or so if you watched your nickels and dimes. But that's a guess, and I certainly wouldn't rely too much on it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

The details will really drive the price up. Find a nice used engine & tranny. It could cut costs deamatically
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Jake

ERA does a great job estimating their car's pricing structure.
Sample costs for ERA slabside kit

Basically $46,500
Plan on:
Motor $5000
Trans $2000
Clutch etc $1000
Add 1000 fudge
Add $500 for oops stuff.........

Est $56,000
Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Leather seat package with the 427 style street seats .. as I recall were an upgrade of $1400- Tremec came in at $2250 and a nice 331 stroker from KC, dyno´d, was $11,000. That also needed water pump, pulleys etc. Low $60`s is a realistic estimate .. then add a top if you want one and side screens..
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There are additional fees to get it up to true "turnkey" status from the quoted kit costs on that page -- but don't rely too hard on anything we say. Peter P. can go right down the list with you and ballpark the costs pretty darn well. The problem is that he will show you cool things that you'll want -- guaranteed. The result? It will cost you more than you think it will, but it will be absolutely worth it... and then some. Even after all these years it is still my favorite toy of all time, and still just as much fun as the day I had it built for me.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So many upgrades. Some very tough to say "no" too.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Maybe... just maybe... you could bring it in for $75k or so if you watched your nickels and dimes. But that's a guess, and I certainly wouldn't rely too much on it.
Wow! I'm at that for my Kirkham 289 FIA car. That's with a filed body and no paint, but for $75k, go with a Kirkham.

Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would think an ERA more the in 50 range, as posted above. Another $20k for an aluminum skin w no paint is a big step for most of us
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Wow! I'm at that for my Kirkham 289 FIA car. That's with a filed body and no paint, but for $75k, go with a Kirkham.

fdjake ... Depending on options and being a turnkey car, Patrick's estimate sounds pretty close to the mark. It could vary quite a bit based on what you are looking for, figuring out what to build is half the fun. Before you visit ERA, go over all the options listed on their website as Peter will ask you a whole list of questions to determine exactly what to quote. ERA is great to work with and they build wonderful cars.

Not to hijack the thread, but have two questions ...

mreid ... Beautiful Kirkham FIA

- How much of the assembly have you done and how much was done by Kirkham?

- Your car is the first FIA I recall seeing that does not have the forward brace for the roll bar. Any issues with the support brace going over the fuel tank?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post

I was going to touch on that myself. If you go to the Kirkhams and ask them to build you a 100% turnkey finished car, with nothing more to build on it at all, will they do that for you? Or do they force you to screw around with the "somebody else has to drop the engine and transmission in for you" crap that, evidently, California is really starting to harp on?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was going to touch on that myself. If you go to the Kirkhams and ask them to build you a 100% turnkey finished car, with nothing more to build on it at all, will they do that for you? Or do they force you to screw around with the "somebody else has to drop the engine and transmission in for you" crap that, evidently, California is really starting to harp on?
I don't think Kirkham does turnkey cars for the US market. But I think Keith Craft has dropped an engine/transmission in a Kirkham before and sold it as a turnkey car.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Post pm

hey fdjake i sent you a pm,

daren
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post

mreid ... Beautiful Kirkham FIA

- Your car is the first FIA I recall seeing that does not have the forward brace for the roll bar. Any issues with the support brace going over the fuel tank?
Thanks for the compliment. I love this car! To answer your questions:

1. I ordered it as a roller. I installed the engine and tranny, bolted in the supplied driveshaft, modified the provided cooling hoses as I have a SBF (see picture below), bled the brakes and clutch, filled all the fluids, and fabricated an undercar exhaust (a challenge given I have a dropped driver side footbox), and installed the belts and bumpers.

2. I specified the 427 rollbar as I am tall and my elbow hits the standard FIA rollbar when I shift. Also, my wife is tall and her long legs would not like the down bar taking up her legroom. The rear leg does not interfere with the fuel tank. It bolts to two frame members in the trunk:

Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Or do they force you to screw around with the "somebody else has to drop the engine and transmission in for you" crap that, evidently, California is really starting to harp on?
Patrick,

That is NOT "California", that is the Federal law! That some so far have managed to bypass that minor issue is not the point. The law says that a "turn-key" car is a "Vehicle" and thus subject to all fedreral standards of EPA, NHTSA, etc.

Those manufacturers and "dealers" who have flounted the regulations to date are now under the crosshairs of the Califonia authorities and I would suspect the Feds as well.

Having the powertrian installed in the back room of the dealer by a company owned by the brother-in-law of the dealer is not an "Arms length" transaction and does not pass the Feds defination of the "sniff test" (if it smells, it's probably rotten) so anyone who asks for and purchases a "Turn-key" from the chassis manufacturer or dealer is not likely to get a warm fuzzy from the Cali DMV right now. And I would guess the Feds are not far behind............

I only post this on the ERA forum as this is general information and NOT brand specific. I know that ERA does it the right, legal way while some others are not.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

You can have ERA build a complete roller. Minus only engine & trans; just the way you stated for $50k or less. If you stick to your build plan. But it will take over a year to receive from order time to delivery from Peter. As for a very good quality complete turn key engine/trans package. You should get a quote from Mike Forte @ forte'spartsconnection.com He's been helping AC builders for more than 30 years. He offers killer eng/trans combo's! At really good (-14k) prices!! Have Mike send the eng/trans package to (there close) Peter & have ERA drop it in; Turn Key!! I think you could do the whole ride for less than $65k. Like you said; build basic/solid!!, add more later! They really don't come any more solid than a ERA, for the price!!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The OP said, in his one and only post, that he's headed to ERA this week, so hopefully he'll report back. I stand by my original estimate though for a true turnkey (regardless of who actually does what on the car, and that "law stuff" always seemed unnecessarily complicated to me...).
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:

1. I ordered it as a roller. I installed the engine and tranny, bolted in the supplied driveshaft, modified the provided cooling hoses as I have a SBF (see picture below), bled the brakes and clutch, filled all the fluids, and fabricated an undercar exhaust (a challenge given I have a dropped driver side footbox), and installed the belts and bumpers.
Don't you also have to get the car aligned after installing the engine and transmission?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:

2. I specified the 427 rollbar as I am tall and my elbow hits the standard FIA rollbar when I shift. Also, my wife is tall and her long legs would not like the down bar taking up her legroom. The rear leg does not interfere with the fuel tank. It bolts to two frame members in the trunk:

I did very much the same with my ERA FIA ... started with a painted roller then installed the drive train & associated bits, exhaust, seats and transmission tunnel. I am tall as well and ERA did some custom tweaks to the car so I can fit.

One of the advantages of working with a company like ERA, Kirkham or others is that little custom changes here and there can make a big difference in drivability, based on the customer's needs.

Interesting about the down bar, I have not had any comments (yet) about leg room on the passenger side. I actually like the down bar, makes getting in and out of the car a bit easier, for me at least.

Bottom line for the OP ... keep doing your homework and welcome aboard !
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
that "law stuff" always seemed unnecessarily complicated to me...).
Not complicated when they sieze your car and void your registration and title! Ignorance of the law is no defense. Ask any first year law student..........NOT "::"

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/