Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     
Default Era 2076

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Cliff and I recently purchased Minor Applemans FIA. I had it shipped from Maryland to Oregon and it arrived last week. The paper work was lagging the car so we drove it into the back of my shop and started inspecting and detailing.

The car was titled in 02 and is suppose to have 7500 miles on it. The odometer is not working. The car came with all of the build documentation and it is a very nice car. There are a lot of details we are changing and correcting, but the basic car is in beautiful condition. It has been sitting the better part of 4 years so cob webs and spider nests were everywhere. We pulled the front wheel bearings last night and the grease appeared to have crystallized for lack of a better word. We cleaned it all up and everything looked good so we repacked them and put it back together.

The seats were not bolted to the frame so we have welded tabs with nuts to the frame such that the seat can be pulled from above. I purchased a Kirkey and we dry fitted it earlier this week. What a thing of beauty. When I got the car I could barely reach the peddles( 5'6"). We found the procedure for adjusting them and had to use all of the adjustment. With the 427 seats I can reach them but not optimally - with the Kirkey I feel like I am 16 again in a Sprite - what a feeling. We are setting it up so either seat can be swapped in a matter of minutes. The stock seat with slider to the frame tabs, the Kirkey straight to the tabs. We have attached surrogate frames for both seats which screw to the tabs.

Lot's of little stuff i.e. shrink tube crimp connectors, coil to front of block, a couple of throttle linkage brackets to square the assembly, re-route wiring in engine compartment; pull all the colored silicon, etc,etc.

The steering rack boots were blown out so that will be repaired tomorrow.

The engine compartment is a little on the bling side for me so I am trying to take it back more towards the original look. I have purchased a set of Cobra valve covers but will have to run spacers - 351w roller. My plan is to fit the spacers and covers and see if there is any extra material in the spacers which can be milled. I have seen a couple of setups - one where the spacer was screwed to the cover - another where the spacer was glued to the cover. If anyone has opinions on this I am very interested.

We are going to pull the rear wheel bearings this weekend. I am a little uncertain about the torque. The 427 manual says 225 but I read the thread here about torquing them to 140. Is the 225 just to pre-load? It would be great if someone could advise me on this.

I was going to have the center of the FIA wheels painted the same color as the stripe on the car. When we got the tires off it was apparent the rear wheels are of different width. I called Trigo and ordered one to match the other 3. The odd ball is a 10" I think manufactured by PS engineering. I would have gone with the 10" but it appears they are no longer being made. If someone needs one just PM.

I first learned of ERA's FIA around 97-98 and have been chasing ever since ( I will be 55 next week). I actually gave up on ever owning one, but the moons aligned and I have one sitting in my shop. I thought my mom was going to pass out when she saw it - it is a beautiful car.

My plan is to tweak it over the winter and then next spring get some lessons and open track it.

I realize this is a lot of wind - sorry for that - I'm really happy - I'll keep the rambling to a minimum after this.

Glad to be here

chr
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Welcome, and very cool story on your purchase.
Please post pictures, and good luck with setting your car up the way you want it.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on achieving your dream. Nothing like owning an FIA

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

And most of all, enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard, Cliff. Once you get your ERA FIA tweaked to your liking, you'll love it. The ERA FIA combines the best elements of the Shelby Cobra - the sleek body of the 289 FIA car, and the coil-over suspension of the 427 S/C.

Keep the shiny side up!

Jeff
Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

If you happen to have a black leather street seat that was replaced by the Kirkey, and are willing to sell it, I would like to buy it. See my ad in the Wanted to Buy section. Congratulations on the FIA. Post some pics when you can. Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your new ERA. Regarding the wheel bearing torque, I went through this a little while ago. The proper value is 140 ft.lbs. Doug's shop procedure, as I understand it, is to torque the nut to 120, and then tighten to the next slot for the cotter pin. That probably works out to around 140.

Gary
Old 09-29-2012, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

congratulations on your new ride! sounds wonderful! i would put the torque to 140lbs. regards domenic
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies - this is an outstanding forum. The seat is not for sale. I am setting it up for either the stock seat or the racing seat. I am taking the car up to my dads place as soon as I can get it back on the road. He lives in the country and I plan to garage the car there. He turned 75 in July and just had a hip replacement. If I can get him in the stock seat I will be happy. If I can get him to take it for coffee once in a while my life will be complete

The thing that sold me on an ERA FIA years ago were

1) Accurate Body
2) Trick Frame
3) The Front Suspension

I would never consider a car with a leaf front end. All one has to do is look at pictures of the original 2000 series cars in motion back in the day - it looks like the front tires will roll under - says much for the guys that drove them so successfully in competition. I was surprised they continued that design in the continuation cars. Especially when one considers that changes were being made in every new car of the original series.

Improving geometry only makes sense to me as long as the look is within the spirit of the original. In my eyes it is one of the most beautiful Sports Cars ever developed. I have never been a 427 fan with respect to the body work.

Here is a picture as marketed.

Badge It - front and sides - street
Overriders
Level Pipes
Dyno Tune
Incorporate Racing Seat
Ceramic Pipes Black
Paint Wheel Centers to Match Stripes
Covert Engine Compartment - much like original street versions - at least in spirit - we are well on our way with this.

We have been working on it 8 hrs a day. Hope to get it back on the road by next weekend. I will bring it back to Portland over the winter to work on it. It is just the coolest thing. The paint is amazing to me - there is no chipping on the front of the car anywhere - how can that be?

Am considering a set of Holleys - requires study and conviction

Lot's and lot's to learn

Sure hope I don't crash the SOB.

thanks for the torque values
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Nice looking car.