Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield frame mounted mirrors

I'm not sure I can bring myself to drill my painted body now to install the rear view mirror on the fender. I guess I should have drilled it out before painting the car. Also, I've heard that vision out of them is marginal - and I believe I read they were not a standard feature anyway. I'm tempted to just leave it off as the first car I owned in the 60s was factory delivered without a mirror. I never missed it at the time. But, I thought I would check into these I've seen mounted to the windshield frame. Do they work pretty well? It looks like the wind wing will still mount OK with one - is this correct? Any recommendations on a source?

Thanks

Dan
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Can't help you with a source, Dan, but I agree with your choice. I have seen a few replicas with windshield frame mounted rear view mirrors and like the look. My fender mounted rear view mirror gives me a great view of the flare in the rear fender, not such a great view of the road.

I'll keep an eye on this thread....and keep my eyes open for a source. I wonder if some of the Brittish companies might not be the best option?

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 460 cu
Not Ranked     

I'm also looking for a mount. There was a red FFR at Import kit last year with a nice system but I lost the information. The car may have been from OH.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Prototype is made. Working on a production run now.

Finishline has the 2 screw ones here Finish Line Accessories
Old 08-11-2012, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The optional FIA mirror will also fit the 427.
KevinW likes this.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Make sure the screws are not to long or you will crack windshield . Wish I could post pictures of my car, I have mirror on both sides.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2114
Not Ranked     

I have one on the driver side of my ERA FIA windshield. The wind wing works just fine with it mounted there. The view to the rear is marginal at best but you CAN see other traffic in the mirror. It's just my opinion but no matter where you mount a raydyot mirror you aren't going to see a whole lot but that said, I am satisfied with the view, they are better than nothing and are period correct.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

My current ERA has the windshield mount as shown by Bob. I had the fender mount Raydot on an older ERA. The view is better with the windshield mount. It raises the height enough to actually see over the rear fender.

The wind wing has to come off with the side windows in. There is interference with the mirror when the door is opened.

John
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

you can make your own mount. I have made several. I replace the flat glass with a 3 3/4" convex glass. Work great.

Dwight

Jaydee likes this.

Last edited by Dwight; 08-11-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302
Not Ranked     

I use the 4 inch peep mirrors from Speedway. They work OK, but not perfect.
4 Inch Peep Mirror - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Jeff
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302
Not Ranked     

This is what they look like installed.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I too can vouch for the first type posted. It is discrete and easily mounted. Visability is quite good and it is stable. Easily constructed from 1/4" aluminum bar stock that is the width of the mirror base. Notice (visable on the unpainted Kirkham) the back side that faces the windshield support is relieved about .080" so it provides stability in 2 planes. This is easily done in a Vertical Mill by any machinist. If you choose this type it uses only one screw that originally held the support to the windshield frame. Use a new screw that is lengthened by the amount of the finished thicknes of the attaching tab after machining. Measure the original screw and the tab thickness carefully and your windshield will survive. Cheap, clean and easy.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 08-11-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Try Finish Line

Finish Line has the one I'm using. They are designed for the Raydyot mirrors (which they also sell) and can be used on either the left or right sides. Mine was easy to mount and allowed the use of the wind wing as well. For $12, it's not worth the time to make one for me.

Finish Line Accessories

Last edited by DougD; 08-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Problem I found is the glare from the wind wing between the driver and the mirror makes it difficult to see. I brought the Ray Dot down behind the wind wing and used the front hole of the side screen mount to attach the mirror. Not a perfect solution as the mirror is a little too close to the body to see well, but view is not impared by plastic wind wing. Works ok as long as you're driving 20 miles per hour faster the other cars on the road as passing everyone!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't drill the car. Get the ERA bracket from Putnam. Two screws and it's on-then attach the mirror to the big knob.
It's the only way you'll see behind you.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I purchased the bracket from Finishline and bent it slightly so it went around the windshield frame. I then ordered the correct length fillister head screws from Totally Stainless - you do not want to break your windshield. Ordered the aluminum die cast hex nut from MSC and the wide angle glass convex replacement glass, which are designed to fit the Raydyot mirrors, from Tex Automotive in the UK. This set-up has worked very well for me while I wait for Mickmate to officially launch his mirror brackets. Yes Nick - that is a hint...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

After researching mirror options I purchased a pair of these last Thursday from Dreamcar Company. I will have them tomorrow and I'm keen to see how well they fit my car.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F8wkLKvD1Z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll post a follow up after I'm done fitting them. Check out the video they have posted on their site showing how the mirror functions.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
The optional FIA mirror will also fit the 427.
Bob - does this mount use the existing screw holes for the wind wings or do additional holes have to be drilled?

Thanks everyone for the replys. You've given me several options to look at.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Bob - does this mount use the existing screw holes for the wind wings or do additional holes have to be drilled?

Thanks everyone for the replys. You've given me several options to look at.
The existing screw holes. Tell Bob to give you two screws too.
Dan-it's exactly as I told you; could not be easier.
Source all parts for your ERA, FROM ERA-everything fits that way-no hardware chases.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Era 351, Contemporary 351
Not Ranked     
Default Bracket

Cobra restorers has the bracket that mounts to the windshield frame and the mirror mounts to it. Nice piece works well