Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Locking Dash (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/128168-locking-dash.html)

Large Arbor 03-17-2014 11:13 AM

Locking Dash

I have the standard ERA dash with no lock. Has anyone retrofitted a lock on your ERA? If so, where did you get the lock?

Phil

patrickt 03-17-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1291417)
I have the standard ERA dash with no lock. Has anyone retrofitted a lock on your ERA? If so, where did you get the lock?

Phil

What are you trying to lock?:confused:

LMH 03-17-2014 12:37 PM

He probably means the glove box.
Larry

LMH 03-17-2014 12:41 PM

GLOVE BOX LOCK & KEYS
Larry

patrickt 03-17-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1291424)

You'd have to fab a little brace on the inside, but that would work without much trouble.

Large Arbor 03-17-2014 01:47 PM

Yes, I mean glove box. Price looks steep, but that looks like what I need.

What am I trying to lock? Radar detector, phone, little things I don't want to carry.

Phil

dont 03-17-2014 02:16 PM

Here's a simple one that might work. Sea-Dog Stainless Steel Cam with Die Cast Zinc Lock

patrickt 03-17-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dont (Post 1291437)
Here's a simple one that might work. Sea-Dog Stainless Steel Cam with Die Cast Zinc Lock

That one actually might be easier to install.

Large Arbor 03-19-2014 06:47 PM

Ordered and on the way!!!

Phil

John Nomeyko 06-17-2015 02:35 AM

locking dash

The glove box lock from A.H. Spares LTD does not fit a Superformance Mark III. The glove box door is too thick for the lock.If anyone is looking for one contact me. 25% off list.

grego 06-17-2015 06:49 AM

Phil,

You may have found what you're looking for, and this center console might not work for you as it's designed for Superformance cars. I installed one and use it a lot more than my locking glovebox plus it's a nice arm rest for longer cruises. It does have a lock, so some level of security, although it probably won't stand up to someone who really wants to get in. There are a couple of threads on the Conra Club if you want more information.

Mk III Console

Kit Coyle 06-17-2015 04:09 PM

John...My glove box is about 7/8" thick...would your ahspares lock work for me? If so,
I may buy it from you. Sounds like you want about $75. Let me know...Kit

davids2toys 06-18-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1291791)
Ordered and on the way!!!

Phil

There is many times I wish mine would lock. Can you post some pics when you are done?
Dave

John Nomeyko 06-18-2015 08:50 AM

Locking Dash

The barrel that goes through the dash is a little under 1/2 inch. You would have the same problem I do.

John

cycleguy55 06-18-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nomeyko (Post 1352935)
The barrel that goes through the dash is a little under 1/2 inch. You would have the same problem I do.

John

The back side could be counter-bored, but that may be something owners are loathe to do.

John Nomeyko 06-18-2015 02:01 PM

Locking dash

That wont work. The total length of the lock from the flat that sit against the front of the glove box to the latch is 11/16 of an inch.

John

Large Arbor 06-19-2015 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine. I used the Seadog lock and works great!

Phil

Large Arbor 06-19-2015 04:07 PM

I had to enlarge the hole, but that was not a big deal. I simply removed the old puller and locking mechanism, was careful with the leather and drilled the whole through the wood and put the lock on. It works great! Let me know if you need more pics.

Phil

davids2toys 06-20-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1353057)
I had to enlarge the hole, but that was not a big deal. I simply removed the old puller and locking mechanism, was careful with the leather and drilled the whole through the wood and put the lock on. It works great! Let me know if you need more pics.

Phil

More pics would be great Phil. Maybe with the back side and where it latches. Does the lock actually hold the door closed now or can you retain the dohicky that keeps it closed? How do you open it without the pull?
My pull is located about 1 1/4" from the hard edge. I measured this on the backside of the door. Is this the standard location for this knob?
Thanks

Large Arbor 06-21-2015 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics below. The door itself holds it closed on mine as its a tight fit. I only lock it when I leave something valuable in it. Usually I can grab the edge of the door leather part and it pulls open. I had to slightly bend the locking bar as you can see in the picture to make it work. It was not a big deal. I think the pull knobs are in the same place. Send of pick of the knob location, but I am pretty sure the sea dog lock will work.