Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     
Default OBE - never did order that ERA

OBE - never did order that ERA

Last edited by DrivinWest; 02-04-2023 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: OBE - never did order that ERA
Old 06-14-2015, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Our fee for prepping and installing the engine, transmission, suspension, electrical system and interior is typically $6000-$7000
Old 06-14-2015, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

You are making the right decision with an ERA. No doubt about it. I own two. Both turn keys. One is 18 years old and the other 10 years. These are by far the best cars made. Both of my cars are still like new and both are incredible. ERA folks are wonderful to deal with as well. So congrats on your excellent decision!!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OBE - never did order that ERA

Last edited by DrivinWest; 02-04-2023 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: OBE - never did order that ERA
Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy427 View Post
So congrats on your excellent decision!!
It's a testament to ERA, their owners, and this forum. My 22 year old self had a different idea for a Cobra in '99 when I joined the forum. Over the years I've discovered what I want in a car and there just doesn't seem to be a substitute for an ERA. Well, I'd take a Kirkham in a heartbeat if it were in my budget, but even then I'd be afraid to really drive and enjoy it!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

DrivinWest, I'm going to be absolutely honest with you. That car, as you have spec'd it, will be hard to turnkey for less than $90k.
madmaxx likes this.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also you have listed exhaust column handbrake rollbar X2
Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could build a Hurriane/Shell Valley/Unique 427 with a 482 600 IRS 5 PINS sub 65-70k
Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
DrivinWest, I'm going to be absolutely honest with you. That car, as you have spec'd it, will be hard to turnkey for less than $90k.
I expect nothing but honesty

Looking at the turnkey page on the ERA website for another estimation:

Standard Turnkey--------$67,000
Stripes---------------------$1,000
Triple-baked paint---------$2,500
428 SCJ--------------------$2,000
6 Pin Drive Wheels--------$2,800
Smith Guages------------~$1,000
Tremec TKO------------------$650
ERA Rear suspension--------$900
Front Wilwood bra---------$1,400
Roll Bar, black----------------$375
Total-----------------------$79,625

$80K is probably too much, and $90K definitely is. Is the difference the ancillary stuff that comes up in the build?

Last edited by DrivinWest; 06-14-2015 at 06:55 AM..
Old 06-14-2015, 07:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinWest View Post
I expect nothing but honesty
$80K is probably too much, and $90K definitely is. Is the difference the ancillary stuff that comes up in the build?
Yes, and the figure you should concentrate on is the total out of pocket cost to get everything done and your car in the garage (remember you have a transport cost). I believe ERA charges $10k to do all the "turnkey" stuff, which is a couple thousand over the bid you received. You will have to decide whether shaving a couple of thousand on that item is worth it or not. If you are really, really serious about this, make an appointment to spend a couple of hours with Peter and then fly out there to CT and sit down him. You have to absolutely "talk turkey" about all of the "get it in to my garage" costs, just as if you were taking delivery of a regular car. Even when you are buying engines, and having them shipped to you, there are parts left off that you have to source. You'll find that's true for just about every system in your car. The car you have spec'd, to be 100% turnkey exactly the way you want it, and to have it sitting in your garage, and running and looking great, your bank account will be lower by a number that starts with nine, IMO.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA 427 Cobra, Royal Blue, For Sale
Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and the fact that you are 6'4" (just like me) means you will have to have some modifications done to the seat, steering column, and pedals. Easy to do when the car is being built, but in theory could be done to any ERA.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good choice on an ERA.
S/C models didn't have ash trays.
Buy the best brakes you can get, right from the beginning.
That said, have you thought about buying one used? It would save you a lot of money.
There's an ERA on Cobra Country for sale right now that's pretty close to what you're looking for.
Larry
Old 06-14-2015, 07:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't underestimate the height issue. When I flew up there early on and sat in Peter's personal car my chin was just about even with the top of the windshield. I think Peter then said "Jeez, this isn't gonna work" and then Doug came over and said "No, we can make it work. Let me do it." Doug actually ended up making a little foam seat insert that would allow him to drive the car, even though it was all carefully fitted to me. When Denny brought it down to me, his feet couldn't even reach the pedals and I had to back it out of the truck.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Why is the ashtray important ? If anything ,and I mean anything ...ie bigger brakes , 5speed, is not as per original, it's not an exact copy anyway.....
Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Is new that important to you? You have plenty of time to find a low mileage ERA with all the options you want, for a lot less than your all in price......
Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Don't underestimate the height issue...
Thanks for the tips. Your posts are one of the reasons I'm going with an ERA - I know I'll fit. I do plan on visiting the factory which fortunately isn't too far from family who plan on dropping in from time to time.

Did you height mods add to the cost?
Old 06-14-2015, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
Why is the ashtray important ? If anything ,and I mean anything ...ie bigger brakes , 5speed, is not as per original, it's not an exact copy anyway.....
I want it to look like a 60s 427 S/C from the outside; if the 427 S/C had an ash tray, I want one (seems like they didn't). I'm all for mechanical improvements like brakes and extra gears so long as they're hidden or at least not overt.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Is new that important to you? You have plenty of time to find a low mileage ERA with all the options you want, for a lot less than your all in price......
I'm kinda keen on the latest ERAs (after number 731), but if it really does have all the options that I want, or I can add them for a nominal price (e.g. billboards), I'm open to used.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
There's an ERA on Cobra Country for sale right now that's pretty close to what you're looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn-427 View Post
Shame about the color . But it is very close to what I'm looking for.