Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   AAaagghhh - still no brake lights or turn signals!! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/128605-aaaagghhh-still-no-brake-lights-turn-signals.html)

patrickt 04-26-2014 05:56 PM

Speaking of Brake Fluid...

While we're talking about brake fluid, were you guys aware the DOT outlawed ATE Super Blue?:CRY:

kevins2 04-26-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1297606)
While we're talking about brake fluid, were you guys aware the DOT outlawed ATE Super Blue?:CRY:

Bummer. I just bought a quart at a BMW dealership in mid-Feb.

kevins2 04-26-2014 06:08 PM

Now that I think about it, isn't that old news? Seems like I recall it isn't approved by DOT for street use. Regardless, Amazon still lists it for sale.

DanEC 04-26-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevins2 (Post 1297605)
Hi Dan,

I had a small leak at both the brake and clutch master cylinders and stopped them by simply tightening the fittings more. I have a bad habit of over tightening things but those fittings really needed to be tight to not leak.

Kevin

Kevin - that could well be the answer. I don't think I tightened the connections to the master cylinders when I went around the car. Hope that's it.

Dan

Bobcat 05-06-2014 07:04 PM

Still talking about brake fluid , I used to alternate between the blue and the amber so I could tell when the system was flushed for my track days , but found that the blue stained the reservoir and the clear lines on my pressure bleeder and the catch bottles . It was a real pain trying to see the amber fluid in a blue bottle . I just pay attention now to volume of fluid through the system .

kevins2 05-06-2014 07:12 PM

Dan,

Were you able to stop the master cylinder leaks?

Kevin

DanEC 05-07-2014 05:08 AM

Kevin - not yet. The rebuilt kit was unsuccessful for reasons I'm not sure about. I never could get it to build pressure and I can't easily gravity bleed the system now due to the speed bleeders. I ordered a new MC and waiting on it to arrive. This time I'm going to pre-fill it with fluid before hooking it up and see if that helps get the fluid moving so I can bleed it.

Dan

patrickt 05-07-2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1299312)
Kevin - not yet. The rebuilt kit was unsuccessful for reasons I'm not sure about. I never could get it to build pressure and I can't easily gravity bleed the system now due to the speed bleeders. I ordered a new MC and waiting on it to arrive. This time I'm going to pre-fill it with fluid before hooking it up and see if that helps get the fluid moving so I can bleed it.

You could always just put the old bleeders back in, temporarily, until you get the system up and running right.... Maybe we could try bench testing the master cylinder on the kitchen table like I wanted to do with the trailer relay?:D

DanEC 05-07-2014 11:24 AM

Patrick - I have the Jag rear suspension and I can bleed the brakes from underneath with the speed bleeders, but to bleed it the old fashion way or install the regular bleeders I will have to pull the seats and rear panel out. Trying to avoid that unless I have no choice. Basically - I'm going to fill the MC with fluid standing on end - from the end port and lightly pump the rod - then install the brake light switch in the port. So in effect it will be bench bleed. Of course I still have to get it in the car and hooked up to the two lines. It's the one inside next to the rail and it's a lot more difficult to get into position and bolted up versus the outer one.

patrickt 05-07-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1299358)
Patrick - I have the Jag rear suspension and...

OK, nevermind....:(