Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   I didn't think I needed one! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/13159-i-didnt-think-i-needed-one.html)

Turk 12-18-2001 11:15 AM

I didn't think I needed one!

Bob Putnam
How difficult and complicated is installing a heater in my car?
How much do I have to take off, to do it?

TURK

Bill Wells 12-18-2001 11:26 AM

TURK...this is blasphemy !!! you who wax poetic about how Calif is the ONLY state to live in will now consider a heater..and the added weight to your car ? is this really Turk, or has someone stolen his id and posted here ? you left coast folks think it is cold at 50 degrees and in Michigan that is WARM and we turn on the air conditioning !!! Bill (in Mich where we can only drive 7 mos a year with or without a heater)

Bob Putnam 12-18-2001 11:56 AM

Turk,

Don't you dare take anything off! That kind of kinky stuff belongs in a different forum. :D

Seriously - It's not that hard. Remove the dashboard. Drill a couple of holes in the firewall for the mounting bolts and the tubes. We'll even send you a drilling template!

Trans-Am Jim 12-18-2001 12:10 PM

Turk:

You wussy-boy, you!! Jeez, I was drivin' around here two weekends ago in the low 40s and it wasn't half-bad.

Watcha gotta do is ditch the tank-top and put on a sweater or somethin!!:D :D :D

jwinkler 12-18-2001 01:42 PM

It's been my experience ...

... that heaters don't help in our open top joyrides!

I've found the upright windshield causes too much swirl, even when the air is blasting into the footboxes. Then again, maybe this is due to the CR's stretched wheelbase. The heater was probably designed for the 90" cars :LOL:

I think a better idea might be heated seats, or a heated suit like the serious northeast motorbikers wear.

JLW

Gary Abramowicz 12-21-2001 04:49 PM

I agree with jwinkler that the heater will be of little value as far as keeping you warm.

I have had heaters in all three of my ERA's, but only because I needed the defroster to pass CT motor vehicle inspection :LOL:

bnewell 12-21-2001 05:14 PM

I am still waiting on my SPF to arrive in mid-March. Although I was invited to ride shotgun with Eric of Competition Motorsports last weekend while he test drove a customer's Superformance. It was approx. 40some degrees here in Ohio, the heater was on, top was NOT up and it wasn't too bad. Although I will have to admit that every time I get close to an SPF let alone ride in one, my blood temp. seems to rise. Not sure why that is???!!!

Brian

worksalot 12-21-2001 05:17 PM

heaters for the left coasters

my first advice would be to put on boxers over the top of your thong thingy.the heater in my b&b works great i drove it to work yesterday 30 degrees and after about 10 minutes i was down to a long sleeve shirt only....did i mention i opted for the hard top??anyways i saw pictures of yourcar and it looks great...do you still have time for your ship??e.i. your other baby??
john b:D

Specialk 12-21-2001 06:29 PM

HEATER!!! What size dress do you wear? 6?

Okiesnake 12-21-2001 07:11 PM

Without the soft top, the heater is not very effective. In fact, even with the top it wasn't very effective until I sealed up the top better. Currently I have just one heater air duct blowing from under the center of the dash (in addition to the two defroster ducts). I think I will re-route the heater ducts more to the inside front of the footboxes with a cut off to the passengers' side so that I can have the advantage of all the available heat when it's just me in the car.
Turk, do you also have a top for the car?

hound dog 12-21-2001 07:30 PM

Hah! Bet you won't ask that question again on an open forum:D
h dog

Dave Samson 12-21-2001 09:38 PM

A heater is overkill

Turk,
Just install a couple of vents in the tunnel wall between your knee and pedals, you'll get plenty of heat rushing in from the tranny and engine.
I live in a similar climate to you in Australia and all I can think about is trying to keep the heat out. My feet are cooking in summer, like right now. If you ever take a long trip with the soft top up, you'll be wishing you had a/c.

Double Venom 12-22-2001 05:59 AM

Wee-0!

I can't believe this thread! :3DSMILE:

Ya gotta luv it!

DV

Jamo 12-22-2001 07:12 AM

Turk

Amot kezi.

Put a sheepskin liner on the thong thingie--geesh!:rolleyes:

wilf leek 12-22-2001 07:19 AM

I can't resist joining in on this one! I literally just got back in after a 50 mile blast with the thermometer showing 33 degrees F. I do have a heater, necessary to pass UK vehicle inspection (SVA). It made little difference today!

I love the looks you get driving an open car in the middle of winter from folks cocooned in their tin tops - is it admiration or pity???

My vote goes to the sheepskin thong thingy.

Wilf, UK :LOL:

John McMahon 12-22-2001 07:21 AM

My Gawd!

Toik,

In Kaliforny, you need a heater???? Ya mean that BB ain't enough? I recall driving my Unique in Joisey one January with no heater. 34 degrees w/o the wind chill and I blew the motor!

You don't need no steeken heater...fagheddaboudit!

Toik finishes his car and already he's trying to "Evanize" it.

Jeez.

Turk 12-22-2001 08:29 AM

The tribe has spoken....

What I thought was a great idea has been snuffed.
We got die hard Easterners who don't know what a Summer is, we got people from Arizona and Carolina's who think it is winter if the rerfigerator door was left open more than 10 seconds giving me advice.
I should have known better.

John Mcmahon
My big block runs cool enough that I get no help in keeping my feet warm. Too much insulation maybe! You got me confused with someone running a stroked and stretched Small block operating at at the edge trying squeeze some horsepower out of those tinly little bitty cylinders.
I have some original authentic 1966 vintage antifreeze and a 1967 hose clamp. I just wanted to be able to use them in a heater set-up. Not Evanize it!

Wilf leek
If it is 33 degrees and you got people staring at you, I don't think they are the looks of admiration.

Jamo
You and the sheep. Why don't you just move to Bakersfield and get it over with.

DV
Isn't that a good thing I didn't ask these people "what kind of a heater?".

Dave Samson
Then we got the guy from Down and out!
Couple of holes in the firewall won't help. My ERA has a radiator, you see.. and it doesn't get warm enough for this transplant from Turkey who thinks 70 is chilly and boils his Wine before drinking it because room temperature drinks gives me the chills.

Hound dog
You are so right. next time I need something like a heater, I 'll try to buy it on the black market before I blurt it out in here.

Okiesnake
I don't have no top. What do you think I am? Some kind a sissy? Only sissies would have a top!

SpecialK
Not a chance! Don't even ask. Last time you borrowed my heels you broke one. NO! You can't borrow mine. Do what you have been doing all along. Wear your wife's!

worksalot
Funny you say that. The day I decided I needed a heater was right after I came back from a ride with shorts on, complaining how cold it was. Maybe I should at least wear some taller socks to begin with and maybe even a pair of pants.

bnewell
Maybe you have high blood pressure, or going through Menapose.

Gary Abramowicz
They make you do all that in CT? All we have to do, to live in California is to speak 5 languages. That is all.

jwinkler
I am not plugging myself into the cigarette lighter. I only have one lighter and and my electric blanket is plugged into it already.

Trans-Am-Jim
"woosy boy". We are from Northern Californai. We wouldn't know if there were other kinds of boys out there. What is the difference?

Bill Wells
Yours is the only comment that could be taken seriously. You live in Michigan, and I respect that. The rest are just sissies like me. They just won't admit it.

Bob Putnam
Thanks to your wide readership...you lost a sale.

TURK

Jamo 12-22-2001 08:53 AM

:LOL: :CRY: :LOL:

Gordon Claunch 12-22-2001 09:04 AM

Hey now Turk,watch that about Bakersfield:3DSMILE: :3DSMILE:
It is way to safe here for Jamo, He lives in fresno land of the crooks buy the latest safest city figures, but wait he is a lawyer is that the same as a crook???:LOL: :LOL:

http://www.morganquitno.com/safecity.htm

Jamo 12-22-2001 09:13 AM

:mad: Hey--I resemble that!:mad: