Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Anyone replace their turn signal switch? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/133156-anyone-replace-their-turn-signal-switch.html)

DanEC 05-05-2015 05:34 PM

Anyone replace their turn signal switch?

I think after studying the ERA wiring diagram some more that I pretty much talked my way through to an answer to my own question.

Large Arbor 05-08-2015 12:08 PM

Wow Dan, they must not fail as you got no responses here. Whats up with that?

You think you have a bad one?

Phil

DanEC 05-08-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Large Arbor (Post 1347784)
Wow Dan, they must not fail as you got no responses here. Whats up with that?

You think you have a bad one?

Phil

Yeah, mine shorts internally on left turns when I accidently press and hold it down a little too long - such as when turning into a left turn lane and the wheel is trying to cancel it. The replacement came with a bit different wiring than the one that ERA supplies - but while studying the wiring diagram and wire color coding while writing my original post, I pretty well worked it out on my own so my post was a bit premature and no longer needed.

Large Arbor 05-09-2015 05:03 PM

Well its good to hear a problem is solved. I spent part of the day wire brushing my headers and side pipes and putting on a new coat of MVD hi temp white paint. I cannot seem to get them perfect yet. They look good fresh, but after a few runs and my greasy palms from starter replacements. (: Now that its all cleaned up I just need a nice dry day to go for a run. It won't be for a few days with the Ohio weather!

Phil

patrickt 05-09-2015 05:20 PM

It seems like we've been dealing with this turn signal business for a year or more....:JEKYLHYDE

DanEC 05-15-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1347845)
It seems like we've been dealing with this turn signal business for a year or more....:JEKYLHYDE

OK - the turn signal switch is replaced and working. First I had to paint it semi-gloss black as it arrived in some putrid gray-green that appeared straight out of a 50s VW.

I also dissected the old switch and pretty much figured out what went wrong with it. In case anyone has a related problem it can probably be fixed.

In this photo you can see the little contact bridge that is bent out of shape. It appears to have been bent when one of the little rivet brads securing it to the housing broke. Somehow this all came together to create a short sometimes when I signaled for a left turn.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...psuth1iqey.jpg

On the other side the little bridge legs are out of position.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...pssmrehcch.jpg

Soo - I straightened the little bridge contact so that it moves freely and is balanced on the spring and epoxied the end of the plate down to the housing where the rivet broke. Should fix it up to keep as a spare.

Large Arbor 05-15-2015 10:36 AM

Ok Danno, now you ready to give those LED lights another shot? (:

You know Patrick and I are curious to see if they work?

Phil

patrickt 05-15-2015 11:26 AM

Yeah, try the LEDs now and let's see if all of the old problems have now magically disappeared.:cool:

DanEC 05-15-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1348547)
Yeah, try the LEDs now and let's see if all of the old problems have now magically disappeared.:cool:

I'm not sure I want to go chasing down that rabbit hole again. I put that last set of led lights in my 66 Corvette and then noticed when I drove it into the garage that stepping on the brake lights lit up the dash lights.:JEKYLHYDE

patrickt 05-16-2015 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1348558)
I'm not sure I want to go chasing down that rabbit hole again. I put that last set of led lights in my 66 Corvette and then noticed when I drove it into the garage that stepping on the brake lights lit up the dash lights.:JEKYLHYDE

I think you should take those LEDs to church and have them sprinkled with holy water.:cool:

DanEC 05-16-2015 05:02 AM

Very possibly so. I might add that my Corvette has a new wiring harness, lights and most components from front bumper to rear bumper too - no old, dried out wiring in it.