Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-05-2015, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone replace their turn signal switch?

I think after studying the ERA wiring diagram some more that I pretty much talked my way through to an answer to my own question.

Last edited by DanEC; 05-05-2015 at 07:46 PM..
Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Wow Dan, they must not fail as you got no responses here. Whats up with that?

You think you have a bad one?

Phil
Old 05-08-2015, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Wow Dan, they must not fail as you got no responses here. Whats up with that?

You think you have a bad one?

Phil
Yeah, mine shorts internally on left turns when I accidently press and hold it down a little too long - such as when turning into a left turn lane and the wheel is trying to cancel it. The replacement came with a bit different wiring than the one that ERA supplies - but while studying the wiring diagram and wire color coding while writing my original post, I pretty well worked it out on my own so my post was a bit premature and no longer needed.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well its good to hear a problem is solved. I spent part of the day wire brushing my headers and side pipes and putting on a new coat of MVD hi temp white paint. I cannot seem to get them perfect yet. They look good fresh, but after a few runs and my greasy palms from starter replacements. (: Now that its all cleaned up I just need a nice dry day to go for a run. It won't be for a few days with the Ohio weather!

Phil
Old 05-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It seems like we've been dealing with this turn signal business for a year or more....
Old 05-15-2015, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It seems like we've been dealing with this turn signal business for a year or more....
OK - the turn signal switch is replaced and working. First I had to paint it semi-gloss black as it arrived in some putrid gray-green that appeared straight out of a 50s VW.

I also dissected the old switch and pretty much figured out what went wrong with it. In case anyone has a related problem it can probably be fixed.

In this photo you can see the little contact bridge that is bent out of shape. It appears to have been bent when one of the little rivet brads securing it to the housing broke. Somehow this all came together to create a short sometimes when I signaled for a left turn.

On the other side the little bridge legs are out of position.

Soo - I straightened the little bridge contact so that it moves freely and is balanced on the spring and epoxied the end of the plate down to the housing where the rivet broke. Should fix it up to keep as a spare.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok Danno, now you ready to give those LED lights another shot? (:

You know Patrick and I are curious to see if they work?

Phil
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Yeah, try the LEDs now and let's see if all of the old problems have now magically disappeared.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yeah, try the LEDs now and let's see if all of the old problems have now magically disappeared.
I'm not sure I want to go chasing down that rabbit hole again. I put that last set of led lights in my 66 Corvette and then noticed when I drove it into the garage that stepping on the brake lights lit up the dash lights.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm not sure I want to go chasing down that rabbit hole again. I put that last set of led lights in my 66 Corvette and then noticed when I drove it into the garage that stepping on the brake lights lit up the dash lights.
I think you should take those LEDs to church and have them sprinkled with holy water.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very possibly so. I might add that my Corvette has a new wiring harness, lights and most components from front bumper to rear bumper too - no old, dried out wiring in it.