Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   ERA Comp Seat vs. Kirkey Vintage (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/135946-era-comp-seat-vs-kirkey-vintage.html)

Akimbeau 02-28-2016 10:41 PM

ERA Comp Seat vs. Kirkey Vintage

I'm thinking about replacing my 427 style seat in my ERA FIA with a comp seat. Which is a better choice...ERA or Kirkey Vintage? Any other reccomends?

xb-60 02-29-2016 12:47 AM

Do ERA do a 'comp' seat, or is it in fact a Kirkey?

Cheers,
Glen

strictlypersonl 02-29-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1382338)
Do ERA do a 'comp' seat, or is it in fact a Kirkey?

Cheers,
Glen

We make our own seats.

strictlypersonl 02-29-2016 06:27 AM

ERA makes all the seats in-house.

1985 CCX 02-29-2016 06:44 AM

ERA is period correct, comfortable, and my recommendation.....

Akimbeau 02-29-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1382374)

Are your shells made of aluminum or glass? I'm looking to not only go with a more comp look and more trackable seat but also to be able to sit lower in the car. How much lower will the comp seat drop the driver position?

Thanks for your time,

Kim

Joe's Garage 02-29-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1382374)

I'm in the market for some seats, what would a pair of ERA's go for in vinyl?

peterpjb 02-29-2016 08:01 AM

in the FIA I am opting for are Kirkey Seats mounted and I would like to replace them with "normal" Seats, I don't like the very low position and the absolute lack of comfort... ;)

they have an Aluminium Body with a thin Vinyl Sskin

CompClassics 02-29-2016 08:17 AM

The ERA FIA seat is much more original looking not to mention that you can lift the seat bottom forward and store paperwork there if you do not have a glovebox.

strictlypersonl 02-29-2016 08:46 AM

The ERA seat is fiberglass. We've added a little width to the original Comp seat because it seems that "everything" is a bit wider nowadays...

1985 CCX 02-29-2016 09:28 AM

Again

Anyone looking for seats should call ERA as their seats are worth every dime...
Street or comp...

These cars are not the most accustomed to long range driving, GET GOOD SEATS!

ERA are the best.....

Dangerous Doug 02-29-2016 02:11 PM

I have used the ERA seats that came with my 289 FIA basic kit. Are these the "comp" seats you're referring to?

I've made good use of them, and I've always found them comfortable. After several years of use the vinyl wore thin, so I took them to a local upholstery shop and had them recovered in black leather. The upholsterer added padding to the backrest and put denser foam in the seat pad, and now I like them even better! This wasn't cheap to do, but it was worth it. I dunno, but maybe ERA offers an upgrade to leather/dense foam? (Hint...Hint... They should.)

I like the look of these seats over the standard 427-type seats.

DD

Kit Coyle 02-29-2016 05:19 PM

I second Doug. I also have the ERA comp seats in my FIA. They have also
been modified with denser foam, but reupholstered in marine vinyl. They are
seriously comfortable...far more so then they look. If you want a quality
product go with ERA. You can pay more for a Cobra if you wish, but the laws
of diminishing returns will catch up with you quickly.

Akimbeau 02-29-2016 06:45 PM

Great! Thanks for the advice...ERA it is! Do the comp seats put the driver in a lower position than the 427 seats?

xb-60 02-29-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1382373)
We make our own seats.

Can you post a picture of the ERA 'comp' seat Bob? How does it differ in appearance from the 427 seat?

Cheers,
Glen

strictlypersonl 03-01-2016 05:52 AM

Here ya go...
http://www.erareplicas.com/fia/2_views_seat.jpg

Akimbeau 03-01-2016 07:28 AM

Bob,

The seats look nice. It looks like they would not really put the driver much lower than the 427 seat? What is the inside width of the comp seat? Do you have any left of the narrower version? I like a tight fit. And I think I'm shrinking. :)

Kim

1985 CCX 03-01-2016 10:40 AM

Bob

I would like to get my hands on one of these for my buggy.....

Any in stock?

Jeff

Joe's Garage 03-01-2016 10:48 AM

Another option are the SPF roadster seats although I'm not sure if these can be ordered through SPF or an SPF dealer. For my taste these are the best looking conventional 427 buckets out there. Very high quality and probably expensive.

Jim Holden 03-01-2016 11:46 AM

ERA's 427 style seat was engineered from the original seats in Peter's 3252. As I recall, he was not that excited about his original seat being taken apart.