Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Neutral     
Default Advertised as an ERA, but is it?

AC Cobra with real 427 Side Oiler
Old 11-11-2016, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA with a 9 inch Ford solid axle? I don't think so.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercobra View Post
ERA with a 9 inch Ford solid axle? I don't think so.
Not an ERA

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Absolutely not an ERA. Thought for a second that maybe the owner bought an ERA frame and then built from there, but it does not look like an ERA frame either from what I can see.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:22 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

"Muncie Rock-Crusher" gearing in a "Top Loader"..?!?!?!

Methinks he is posting "tags" to get views.

The rear suspension is Fox Mustang with the upper horizontal shocks used on SVO and some of the Mustang GTs so that narrows the frame options.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-11-2016, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Looks like a LA Exotics
Old 11-11-2016, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

One more vote for "no"
Old 11-11-2016, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Not even close to an ERA
Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If ERA stands for Embarrassing Ripoff Artist I think you have a winner.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

That's bizarre.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #448, 1964-427
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,
After reviewing the Ad, I have a tendency to think the seller is referring to the engine only as an era (time period, from the 1960's) engine and not the complete car, which is definitely not an ERA. Just My Two Cents............
spdbrake likes this.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Sellers response to an email I sent them.
His comment about the ERA square tube frame/body seems to be the issue, considering that an original from that era has a round tube frame. I'm sure the seller has no ill intention, just worded the ad incorrectly.

The body is a Classic Configuration from Finish Line, Inc / Moto-Lita USA in
Miramar Florida
Everything on the car is top quality the owner passed away is the only
reason is for sale there is 931 miles on it since completion
Warren Lubow
Home
425-246-5222

Last edited by sea2jet; 11-12-2016 at 05:28 AM..
Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfink55 View Post
Gentlemen,
After reviewing the Ad, I have a tendency to think the seller is referring to the engine only as an era (time period, from the 1960's) engine and not the complete car, which is definitely not an ERA. Just My Two Cents............
I tried to read it that way originally but couldn't. Seems to be referring to ERA cars to me.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684. 428FE bored and stroked to a 450.
Not Ranked     

Newbie here. I live in Seattle and have had interest in this car for a couple months now. Thought it was an ERA car, per the ad, and literally just talked to Peter at ERA today about the car. He said "definitely not one of ours."

However, with more than $100K in receipts and full documentation, and 913 miles on the ODO, I admit I'm having a hard time passing because the ad isn't technically correct. Warren, the consignor, is a decent enough fellow, has a good rep in town, and I think it's just an honest mistake from a guy who is trying to help out a friend and may not be a Cobra expert like many of you are. And since many of you are true experts, I would ask -- what's wrong with this car, in your opinion? Is this a $55K car? If you think $55k is too high, then what do you think this car is roughly worth?

I have been shopping off and on for six months for an ERA car, which is why I thought I hit the jackpot when this car hit CL. However, I knew something was amiss when the ad has renewed for months now because the car hasn't sold. But maybe it's a heckuva car for $35K? $43k? I'll take any feedback on the car y'all care to offer.

*** FYI, One of the reasons I have yet to get serious about an offer is because I'm just over six feet tall, and my knees hit the steering wheel: haven't been able to test drive myself. Warren thinks a smaller radius steering wheel and cutting/bending the pedals or pedal throw would be all that's needed, but I'm still nervous about having to modify the car to be able to drive it. And that's probably a sign that it's not the right car for me. But maybe a little customization is no big deal, or shouldn't be a deal killer? I am likely to go look at it again, and go through ALL the receipts, but wanted to have as much info from this group as I can prior to visiting again... if, that is, you guys think it's a car worth looking into further. The owner is pretty firm on the price, and this may all be for not. But with this group's feedback, maybe I can make a legit case for why the car should be sold for something significantly less. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and since I don't want to buy a problem car, or a car that would be tough to sell someday, I welcome negative comments. I also welcome any leads anyone has for a true ERA 427 car that could be purchased for below $50K. I have budgeted $40-45K, and don't mind if it takes me a year or two to find the right car at the right price.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:28 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassPlayah View Post
However, with more than $100K in receipts and full documentation, and 913 miles on the ODO, I admit I'm having a hard time passing because the ad isn't technically correct.
While there may be 100K in receipts, looking at the car itself, I do not see more than 30-40K of real time investment, so the other 60K must be labor, and even that has me wondering if the receipts are not doctored.

There are much better cars out there for the money, and being sold without the hype of this one. If I was looking for another (after 30+ 427SC bodys, I am searching for a slabside or maybe another FIA at the moment), I'd pass on this one and keep searching.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-21-2016, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

There are ERA's out there that with a few more miles that can be bought in your price range. Keep looking. Do not start talking yourself into a bad deal. If you are going to be spending that kind of money, have no regrets after you get the car home.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
There are ERA's out there that with a few more miles that can be bought in your price range. Keep looking. Do not start talking yourself into a bad deal. If you are going to be spending that kind of money, have no regrets after you get the car home.
Right - $55,000 would have bought a number of used ERAs in recent years that I guarantee are far superior in quality to a car that can't even be identified as to manufacturer. Some have even gone for a bit under $50k although they are probably pretty far and in-between. Being a little over 6 ft. tall is not a problem with an ERA. I'm a hair over 6'2" and fit fine, although I have my seat bolted flat to the floor. I could still move the seat back further if I wanted. We have at least one frequent ERA poster here who from memory is 6'4" and fits fine.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassPlayah View Post
... or a car that would be tough to sell someday....
I think you answered this question for yourself with your comment about how long the car has been for sale. It certainly is different, which will mean a smaller pool of prospective buyers.

As for your height, there are a number of threads on this forum regarding that topic that should give you some guidance. So, I agree with the others that you should pass on this and keep looking. You didn't say why you've singled out wanting an ERA but, if your reasons are similar to most, you wouldn't be happy with that car in the long run, in my opinion.

Good luck and keep searching...

Kevin
Old 12-21-2016, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Bassplayah,
Another alternative is to buy the Contemporary advertised in the classifieds and mentioned in several threads and have someone finish it up if you aren't up to doing it yourself and you'll still end up under your budget and have a great car with solid resale down the road if that is your goal.

Bob
Old 12-21-2016, 06:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
We have at least one frequent ERA poster here who from memory is 6'4" and fits fine.
Yep, and 12EEE feet to boot <clever pun>. If you had to retrofit an ERA fitted to a short man with girlie feet, the hardest part would be spacing the pedals. The second hardest part would be removing any "extra padding" from under the seats (that might be easier than I think). Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. A few little tweaks and your head will be right where you want it. You then carefully hard mount everything, shim and tilt the 15" Moto Lita, just right. And *poof* the car fits you like a glove. One added benefit is that if your short friends ever ask to drive your car you can politely respond "Oh, gosh, you know I would love you to try this baby out, but, unfortunately, everything is shimmed and hard mounted to fit me perfectly, so you wouldn't even be able to reach the pedals. Sorry."