Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Optima Battery: Red or Yellow?

I'll soon be ready for a battery in my Cobra and I can't decide between the Red and Yellow options. I'm pretty sure about going with Optima, but what are guys using out there? I've got the trunk mounted battery option with the closed off compartment. I'll just be cruising and driving for fun mostly, so I'm sure there will be periods of weeks and maybe a couple of months when I can't drive the car. What should I buy?

Harold
Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Definitely a red. Yellow tops are deep cycle and are meant for severe duty discharge environments like winching or powering lots of accessories with the engine off. I run a dual red/yellow setup in my expedition Land Cruiser. When camped/parked I switch the truck over to the yellow top only. That saves the red as my backup/jump-start battery if needed. Been running these batteries for 15 years like this.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 778 View Post
I'll soon be ready for a battery in my Cobra and I can't decide between the Red and Yellow options. I'm pretty sure about going with Optima, but what are guys using out there? I've got the trunk mounted battery option with the closed off compartment. I'll just be cruising and driving for fun mostly, so I'm sure there will be periods of weeks and maybe a couple of months when I can't drive the car. What should I buy?

Harold
Don't have an answer, but if you could post some shots of your compartment that would be nice.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

I placed a battery tender cable on my battery so when I am not using it I can keep it charged, just a thought
Old 05-15-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Definitely a red. Yellow tops are deep cycle and are meant for severe duty discharge environments like winching or powering lots of accessories with the engine off.
X2............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Trunk Photos

Here's what the trunk looks like so far. That's the stereo on the left. I moved the battery 1.5 inches left of ERA's position. I'm still a long way from getting this thing on the road!

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

I've had a yellow-top in mine for the last 5 years and has worked great. On very hot days in traffic I'll shut off the engine but leave the cooling fan to keep temps in good shape. Mine is also mounted in the trunk but is not vented--nothing to spill, no outgassing.

The red top is probably best for most applications.

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Deep Cycle batteries, unlike regular batteries, will force your alternator to put out as many amps as the battery can take. Deep Cycles are amp hungry! In some cases this leads to premature failure of your charging system from meeting that high demand rate for an extended period of time.

Worst case scenario would be, engine doesn't start, so you crank and crank the starter trying to figure it out and run the Deep Cycle battery pretty low. When the engine does start, the alternator will be putting out near max amps for quite awhile bringing that battery back up to speed.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Give Oddessy batteries a try -- they are smaller , Lighter and if you are using a gear reduction starter can provide all the AMPS you need.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Red.. Red is faster...

But seriously, only put a yellow in a car if your firing up a serious stereo system. And with a cobra, who needs a stereo. The car is music.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

I have been running an Optima since #375 was new in 1993. Believe it or not, the most recent battery an Optima Red Top 8022-091 75/25 was just changed out in 2016 after 14 years of use. Now, that battery was always on a small battery Tender when the ERA was parked in the barn. I now use the Optima Digital 400 battery tender and charger on the new Optima 8022-091. Based on past experience, the Optima has more than enough cranking amps for my 428 and lasts a real long time to boot. My voltage regulator and alternator appear to like the Optima as well seeing that they are all original to the first build.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

ERA 714 has a red one.

Phil
Old 04-27-2017, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Holy Thread resurrection- 7 years old thread brought back to life!

Something I learned about a year ago when I was getting a new battery for my Cobra is the new Optima batteries are made in Mexico now and the reliability is suspect. I've read a few negative reviews on the new batteries and warranty issues.

There are several new Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) batteries similar to Optima available now that have great reviews and are slightly cheaper than the Optimas.

Bob
Old 04-27-2017, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I have a Superformance SP01400, which came with the Optima Red.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ten years, or so, ago I bought a Optima battery for my Cobra. It lasted nine months. Local GM dealer warranty it. 13 months later I'm back. Next battery, no charge to me. It lasted less than a year. The guy behind the counter as me if I wanted a lead cell battery at no cost. I answered, Yep and 5 or 6 years later I had to replace it.

You can not give me a Optima battery to be used in a Cobra.

Dwight
Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

The power of the search button
Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Optima red and use a battery maintainer when not in use. They are made in Mexico now so probably won't last as long.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

I was not aware that Optima had changed sometime in the last 14 years. You learn something new all the time here, thanks for that info.

In any case, my new Optima is about 6 months old so fingers are crossed that I received a good one.

BTW, what are the "other" AGM type battery brands that are "good" or have a positive reputation now?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I just removed the passenger side battery placement and installed a 1500 Odyssey with billet aluminum hold-down in the upper shelf area of the ERA trunk. The two ganged 6 volt Optima red tops in the CSX4017LA are 7 years old and never needed a trickle charge. Have heard about changes to the Optima of today? Recommend Odyssey.
Nice job on the trunk.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, my Optima is in the trunk too, on the passenger side. A long time ago I got a nice billet aluminum battery tray from Speedway Motors which holds it in place.