Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Center dash support bars (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/140453-center-dash-support-bars.html)

sracer5 03-05-2018 05:40 PM

Center dash support bars

I have bought an early ERA 294. My question is / my car never had the dash support bars fitted (I know they are cosmetic only) , can someone with an ERA early or late car measure the top and bottom spread of the bars ?i would like to buy or fabricate them if possible. Have talked and emailed Bob but not heard back from him yet. He was not sure if the old bar set are the same as the ones after chassis 731. Any help appreciated.

kevins2 03-05-2018 06:36 PM

Mine are 5 3/8 center to center at the top and 7 7/8 where they go through the tunnel. They simply extend through the tunnel about an inch and a half or so. There is a bracket welded to the top of each bar with a single screw into the bottom flange of the dash. My car is #795.

Kevin

sracer5 03-05-2018 06:43 PM

Dash bars

Thank you , the earlier cars may have a wider spread on the bottom per the build manual , but there is no top spread listed. I’m hopping to be able to buy one from ERA.

vntgspd 03-06-2018 02:23 PM

Mine measure 5.25" top and 8.50" bottom - center to center. My car is #347

csx4017 03-08-2018 09:48 AM

#520 measures 5.25 top & 8 3/8 ( 8 1/2 )- center to center at the penetration of dash and tunnel. Same as #347.

DanEC 03-08-2018 10:25 AM

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think at some point ERA raised the height of the transmission tunnel for more transmission clearance - which would account for why Kevins2 are a bit closer together where they penetrate the tunnel top on his newer model.

sracer5 03-08-2018 07:59 PM

Thanks everyone - I forgot to ask what the bar diameter is ! I also assume the bar angle follows the approximate angle of the dash face. I’m going to try to match the early cars size.

RockBit 03-09-2018 04:47 AM

The bar diameter is 3/4 inch. The angle when viewed from the direction along the dash is vertical. The dash support tubes are not parallel to the dash.

DanEC 03-09-2018 04:52 AM

Mine measure about .85" but I wrapped them in vinyl for a street car - so looks like 3/4 inch outside diameter. Yes, in fore-aft direction they follow the angle of the dash panel. In side to side direction they should be pretty close to the side slope of the transmission cover sides.

RockBit 03-09-2018 05:44 AM

Fore Aft Angle

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the angle of the dash tubes is not quite vertical, it is 3 degrees from vertical. The face of the dash is 17 degrees from vertical.

Attachment 31581

GaryT 03-09-2018 12:02 PM

I am in the NRH/Keller area if you want to take a look at 806.

DanEC 03-09-2018 03:33 PM

I was wrong - relied on less than perfect memory and how original cowl area was framed on originals. Mine are generally like RockBit's