Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By vntgspd
  • 1 Post By ERA 626

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     
Default ERA #347 Updates

For the past 5 months I have been focused on handling a few maintenance items and putting miles on #347 that arrived in CA in October. Oh, and getting the SB100 registration completed which is now done!

This past week I made some progress with the "fun" stuff by replacing the 18 year old Goodyears with a set of Avons and replacing the leather Moto-lita with a wooden split-spoke Moto-lita. More to come...
Attached Images

cobra likes this.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Looks nice! What else is on the to-do list?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Beautiful Cobra, all great updates, especially the 18year old Goodyears Question is the body a dark brown also? Can't really tell in the pictures, if it is I love it (even if not still beautiful , I can't remember every seeing one? Yes, more pictures please, Cheers Tom.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

First, more details on the ERA, where's some engine shots? I recently got rid of 10 year old Yoko's and got some Avon's. What a difference. Did you buy 245's and 295's?

And second, uh, how about a little more info on what appears to be a signal yellow early 911 in the background?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The "To-Do" list so far is short:
1. Replace large chrome tailpipes with smaller diameter satin black pips
2. Street hood
3. Rollbar delete
4. Smith's gauges (although SW gauges are growing on me)

The color is metallic Burgundy/Black Cherry

This car was built with a 306 small block with solid lifters, "Boss" bottom end and 48IDF Webers. Trans is a wide ratio Toploader 4 speed. Sounds sweet and runs STRONG.

I went with 225/255 Avons as I'm going for a street vibe and like the responsiveness of the narrower tire. Plus, 295s are an issue with undercar exhaust.

Good eye on the 911...I didn't even notice at first. It's a '69 911T street/track car that I have had for 15 years. It has a 2.5L with high compression and Weber IDA carbs going through a built 901 dogleg gearbox. Fun car at 2150lbs and a little over 200HP but feels slow on the road compared to the Cobra.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Hi vntgspd. You're going to a street hood with no hood scoop?

If you are interested in selling your hood with scoop, PM me. I may be interested.

Cheers
Greg
Old 03-27-2018, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
Hi vntgspd. You're going to a street hood with no hood scoop?

If you are interested in selling your hood with scoop, PM me. I may be interested.

Cheers
Greg
I would be keeping the hood. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like your plan. I think going with a no scoop and no roll bar would look the best, but I'd also add some of Sunbursts to complete the look.

We have the same taste in cars, although my P-car is a 993. But if I had skills, an early R-Gruppe look 911 would be at the top of my list. There's one that occasionally passes through my neighborhood and you can hear it from a few blocks away.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I like your plan. I think going with a no scoop and no roll bar would look the best, but I'd also add some of Sunbursts to complete the look.

We have the same taste in cars, although my P-car is a 993. But if I had skills, an early R-Gruppe look 911 would be at the top of my list. There's one that occasionally passes through my neighborhood and you can hear it from a few blocks away.
Same taste indeed. I'll have Sunbursts some day. I'd have a painted KMP if I had unlimited budget, although I am very impressed with the ERA so far.

Here is an older shot of the 911 as well as my 993 from several years ago.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Nice upgrade with the tyres.
Great choice of steering wheel as well.
The gauges? Smiths are definitely correct for a 427 roadster; SW....umm....not (but nobody will cane you if you don't change).
I like the idea of a change back to a roadster - no roll bar, no hood scoop, undercar exhausts. Very nice! You'll get a lot of "An original, huh?" comments

Cheers,
Glen

edit: I like the solid lifters and Toploader as well

Last edited by xb-60; 03-27-2018 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Beautiful color, vntgspd. Also like your idea of going to a street version, I too, I'm going that way, Hindsight being 20/20, should have had my body shop remove my hood scoop, when painted, but wanted to drive it a year or so, before I do, and run the my pipes under the car. Sunbrust's really add to the street look, glad I did that now. I went with VDO gauges as they seem more reliable then the other two, after talking to other owner's, just my $.02, Cheers Tom. P.S. Yellow is the best color for a race car, never had a driver say, they didn't see me come-up behind them (Yellow Alfa GTV #02) Not that they moved out-of-way
Old 03-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like someone like RS spoliers/replicas. I love the '69. Not fast enough?How about a 3.6L transplant?

My 993 is a Cab, but I'm a convertible guy.

ERA is a top notch Cobra replica. And I love the Webers! You must love them too. As for the switch of the gauges, if they work, then I'd leave them. It's not an original.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I just remembered my user name and password. I have renewed interest in this form because I just ordered my new tires to replace my 17 year old BF goodrich tires. I ordered Micky thompson Sprortsman S/R I will post photos when they arrive... Over the years I have had ZERO issues with my ERA 626 I absolutely Love the car. Your build looks great!!!
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Vntgspd,

Saw your pics on the other social media site. The car looks great! I have SW guauges and they look and work great. I did change out the ammeter for a voltmeter and that made a great difference as now I can verify the electrical system is charging.

Phil
Old 04-30-2018, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Completed an impromptu update not on my list prior to a neighborhood car show this past weekend. The Hella lights on the car before were great as far as old-school 7" euro headlights go but the Lucas PL700 just look so "right".

This wasn't originally on my list but I do love visual updates that are easy and relatively inexpensive.
Attached Images

Last edited by vntgspd; 04-30-2018 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling