Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Scaling the car to 50/50 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/142682-scaling-car-50-50-a.html)

PJ UPTMOR 08-19-2019 07:27 PM

Scaling the car to 50/50

I am wondering if i should scale have my car scaled to all 4 corner and front and rear.. I was watching a show and they scaled their project.

strictlypersonl 08-20-2019 05:24 AM

If the car sits level from side to side and the handling balance is also equal, scaling is mostly an unnecessary luxury. Just make sure that your tire pressures are symmetric first.

PJ UPTMOR 08-20-2019 05:36 AM

Thank you Bob

bobcowan 08-20-2019 08:57 PM

Do a search on cross weights. On a street car, they don't need to exact. But getting them pretty close will help the car handle and brake better.

You can't significantly change front to rear balance or left to right balance without physically moving weight around.

But you can significantly alter cross weights with suspension adjustments.

Cobra #3170 08-21-2019 08:28 PM

I have found over the years of making mistakes and then trying to correct them that:
In a non ABS car like a Cobra you are better off going for equal front tire weight than equal cross weight. If I set up for equal cross weight the front tires will have unequal weights and the light one locks up under heavy braking. Since 70% or so of braking force is generated by the front tires I always found it better to equalize front tire weights and accept what I got for unequal rear weight. We have tried it both ways and equal front tire weights were always slightly faster. The best of all worlds is equal side to side corner weights but if you can't get there, equal front weights give you more consistency in braking.

6TNCRZY 08-22-2019 08:04 AM

Don't forget to compensate for the weight of the driver.

Seagull81 08-22-2019 08:32 AM

Make sure you have the ride height set before you corner weight your car. If you were closer you could do it at my shop.

patrickt 08-22-2019 08:46 AM

Corner weight the car. It can make a big difference on the street. Just do it. If you have any doubts, check out this lengthy thread, especially the very last post, which says it all. http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...-my-spf-8.html

ERA 626 08-23-2019 05:26 PM

Patrick seems to be impressed with himself...

PJ UPTMOR 08-23-2019 11:15 PM

Thanks again.

DanEC 08-24-2019 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 (Post 1465842)
I have found over the years of making mistakes and then trying to correct them that:
In a non ABS car like a Cobra you are better off going for equal front tire weight than equal cross weight. If I set up for equal cross weight the front tires will have unequal weights and the light one locks up under heavy braking. Since 70% or so of braking force is generated by the front tires I always found it better to equalize front tire weights and accept what I got for unequal rear weight. We have tried it both ways and equal front tire weights were always slightly faster. The best of all worlds is equal side to side corner weights but if you can't get there, equal front weights give you more consistency in braking.

The voice of experience. This makes good sense.