Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Panicky - clutch pedal set screw

Patrick - at your suggestion I finally got around to checking the left side clutch pedal shaft boss set screw and it was a bit loose and needed some tightening (1-1/2 to 2 turns. Mine (#782) however has a cap screw that goes all the way through the shaft and both walls of the boss which would seem unlikely to come completely out. For some reason I thought I remember it was a point bearing set screw on your car that you had trouble with It coming disengaged - or am I mistaken?
bingo2 likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is the set screw that came loose 12 years ago. Here is a pic of how the splined shaft came off once the set screw backed out. Is this the set screw of which you speak? ERA has another set screw that is holding the clutch pedal on the shaft right below the driver's feet. The drawings from ERA show that it is of the identical design, meaning just going down in to a milled portion of the splines just like the pic below. If either of those two set screws on your car go all the way through the shaft (meaning the set screw is at least an inch long) then there has been an undocumented modification by the boys at ERA....

Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This is that second set screw that is below the driver's feet.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a sharper pic of the set screw that came loose on that first pic up above.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

iPad spell check kicked in on title - didn’t catch it. I locktited the right side one years ago. It’s the left side one I never had checked. Looks like Era redesigned the left side attachment for a thru-bolted connection in-between our cars.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So does yours look more like this drawing from ERA? If so, I think I might know why....

Old 05-20-2020, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would say that drawing reflects my car. I don’t think the left side (outer side) is splined anymore.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I would say that drawing reflects my car. I don’t think the left side (outer side) is splined anymore.
Alright, next time I have my brake box off I'll take apart the shaft see what exactly it matches as to ERA drawings. I do remember that I had Doug do custom work to the pedal assembly because my feet are extra large (12EEE). The pedals are spread apart more as well as having the clutch pedal positioned farther back because of my long legs. I had completely forgotten that until now.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My pedals are spread too - I think even more than yours. I was able to pull up the floor mat and reach a finger down along the pedal arm and feel the top of the cap screw. I used a small light and mirror to look down in there to verify what I was touching. Then it was just a hit and miss process of finding the correct Allen wrench that fit. Wish I had made a note of the size but I hit on it pretty quick.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still a good tip to check that cap screw. Without splines (or so I think) if that cap screw we’re to back out and loose bearing on the far side of the shaft boss, the shear capacity of that connection would be halved and might shear through the screw on the other end with a heavy clutch or foot.