Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Stainless steel side pipes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/145421-stainless-steel-side-pipes.html)

sea2jet 11-28-2021 11:45 AM

Stainless steel side pipes

I’m looking for a set of side pipes for a 428 powered ERA. I would like SS, but if that’s not an option, I could do regular steel. I tried GasNPipes but they can’t get the SS tubing for the primaries. I’ve been waiting over a year. Thanks…

Tommy 11-28-2021 01:50 PM

GP Headers fabricated headers for my Cheetah. I fabricated the side pipe portion, but I suspect they can do whatever you need.

This shows the mock up I sent them and their finished work.
https://tommyscars.weebly.com/upload...aders_orig.jpg

jasonmckay 11-30-2021 04:01 AM

Very cool mockup jig for the headers Tom. What did you use for the moveable joints?

Jason

Tommy 11-30-2021 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonmckay (Post 1500107)
Very cool mockup jig for the headers Tom. What did you use for the moveable joints?

Jason

GP Headers sent all the metal parts of the mock up. All I had to do was add common PVC pipe cut to length, set the elbow angles and lock everything in place. Header clearances on my car were very tight and the finished headers fit like a glove.

https://tommyscars.weebly.com/upload...ngine_orig.jpg

twobjshelbys 11-30-2021 08:49 AM

Simply ingenious way to measure!!!

Morris 11-30-2021 09:27 AM

Is #8 tube longer for a reason......

Tommy 11-30-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris (Post 1500115)
Is #8 tube longer for a reason......

Yes, to clear the steering column. .. This is a hot rod rather than a track car, so optimizing the exhaust length was not a priority.

1985 CCX 12-01-2021 06:07 AM

Looks like the company sends you the moc parts. Then they MFG the units?
Very cool....

spdbrake 12-01-2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea2jet (Post 1500024)
I’m looking for a set of side pipes for a 428 powered ERA. I would like SS, but if that’s not an option, I could do regular steel. I tried GasNPipes but they can’t get the SS tubing for the primaries. I’ve been waiting over a year. Thanks…

If you can get Georgie @ Gas-N to tell you the center-line radii he needs for the inboard and outboard tubing to correctly nest them, these folks can make the tubing bends he needs.https://russellstubeforming.com/rota...ding-services/

IF he doesn't know the radii used (hard to believe)then he can at least tell you the gap between the pipes needed for the merge collector then the radius of each pipe can be calculated.

G_Edmonds 12-02-2021 06:33 AM

I had a race car builder make mine locally, Got him the Classic Chambered mufflers I wanted and he built the rest from stainless. Obviously you can’t get to him but there’s probably someone in your area.

sea2jet 12-06-2021 07:11 AM

Georgie frequents this board so hopefully he will reply. I’ll bring it to his attention as well.
He used my ERA pipes to create a fixture, just can’t get the tubing to create them.

Mark IV 12-06-2021 09:04 AM

Georgie and his crew were in our shop over the weekend prototyping more Superformance parts (we will have both MK II [289] and MK III [427 chassis]) headers, side pipes and UNDERCAR exhausts! Multiple header flange types to properly fit the common exhaust port sizes and styles will be available. The flanges they use are thick and allow proper torque on the header bolts.

Georgie related the issues with supply chain currently, everyone seems to be affected and not in a good way.

Gas-N is a quality supplier that goes out of the way to produce a top shelf product.

sea2jet 12-12-2021 04:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
On another note, when GasNPipes used my Stainless Specialties pipes to create a fixture for creating new ERA side pipes, they installed new mufflers. When I received them back freshly polished, there is welding splatter on them. Can anyone suggest the best way to remove it? Georgie is willing to address the issue but it involves me removing the pipes and shipping them back. I would rather try and do it myself and on the car. Thanks.

DanEC 12-12-2021 05:50 AM

I would try a small chisel first to see if it will pop them off. If they are too “welded” on for that the you may need to take a small, fine file and file each one down flat. You could also try some fine Emory paper wrapped around something flat like a pop cycle stick but a small, fine file would probably do best. Then you have to start sending the area with whatever grit will remove the file marks - probably in the 180 to 320 range and progressively sand with finer grits down to about 2500. Then get a small buffer wheel and some compound for stainless and polish them out. It’s a lot of work. I’ve restored my share of stainless and aluminum trim but I use a buffer motor/big pads which speeds the polishing a lot.

sea2jet 12-12-2021 02:33 PM

Thanks DanEC, very much appreciated….

rads42 12-14-2021 11:15 AM

Shell Valley sells headers and side-pipes for 90" wheelbase cars with both big and small block choices. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're offered in S.S. so you're out of luck there Sea2jet but I wonder if anyone has ever tried them on an ERA? I'm not in the market yet, but when I am I won't be looking for S.S. and they're priced reasonably.