Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2021, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Stainless steel side pipes

I’m looking for a set of side pipes for a 428 powered ERA. I would like SS, but if that’s not an option, I could do regular steel. I tried GasNPipes but they can’t get the SS tubing for the primaries. I’ve been waiting over a year. Thanks…
Old 11-28-2021, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

GP Headers fabricated headers for my Cheetah. I fabricated the side pipe portion, but I suspect they can do whatever you need.

This shows the mock up I sent them and their finished work.
Dwight, rads42, 1985 CCX and 3 others like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-30-2021, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very cool mockup jig for the headers Tom. What did you use for the moveable joints?

Jason
Old 11-30-2021, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmckay View Post
Very cool mockup jig for the headers Tom. What did you use for the moveable joints?

Jason
GP Headers sent all the metal parts of the mock up. All I had to do was add common PVC pipe cut to length, set the elbow angles and lock everything in place. Header clearances on my car were very tight and the finished headers fit like a glove.

sea2jet likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-30-2021, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Simply ingenious way to measure!!!
rads42 likes this.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Is #8 tube longer for a reason......
Old 11-30-2021, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Is #8 tube longer for a reason......
Yes, to clear the steering column. .. This is a hot rod rather than a track car, so optimizing the exhaust length was not a priority.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Looks like the company sends you the moc parts. Then they MFG the units?
Very cool....
Old 12-01-2021, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
I’m looking for a set of side pipes for a 428 powered ERA. I would like SS, but if that’s not an option, I could do regular steel. I tried GasNPipes but they can’t get the SS tubing for the primaries. I’ve been waiting over a year. Thanks…
If you can get Georgie @ Gas-N to tell you the center-line radii he needs for the inboard and outboard tubing to correctly nest them, these folks can make the tubing bends he needs.https://russellstubeforming.com/rota...ding-services/

IF he doesn't know the radii used (hard to believe)then he can at least tell you the gap between the pipes needed for the merge collector then the radius of each pipe can be calculated.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I had a race car builder make mine locally, Got him the Classic Chambered mufflers I wanted and he built the rest from stainless. Obviously you can’t get to him but there’s probably someone in your area.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Georgie frequents this board so hopefully he will reply. I’ll bring it to his attention as well.
He used my ERA pipes to create a fixture, just can’t get the tubing to create them.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:04 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Georgie and his crew were in our shop over the weekend prototyping more Superformance parts (we will have both MK II [289] and MK III [427 chassis]) headers, side pipes and UNDERCAR exhausts! Multiple header flange types to properly fit the common exhaust port sizes and styles will be available. The flanges they use are thick and allow proper torque on the header bolts.

Georgie related the issues with supply chain currently, everyone seems to be affected and not in a good way.

Gas-N is a quality supplier that goes out of the way to produce a top shelf product.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-12-2021, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On another note, when GasNPipes used my Stainless Specialties pipes to create a fixture for creating new ERA side pipes, they installed new mufflers. When I received them back freshly polished, there is welding splatter on them. Can anyone suggest the best way to remove it? Georgie is willing to address the issue but it involves me removing the pipes and shipping them back. I would rather try and do it myself and on the car. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by sea2jet; 12-12-2021 at 04:58 AM..
Old 12-12-2021, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I would try a small chisel first to see if it will pop them off. If they are too “welded” on for that the you may need to take a small, fine file and file each one down flat. You could also try some fine Emory paper wrapped around something flat like a pop cycle stick but a small, fine file would probably do best. Then you have to start sending the area with whatever grit will remove the file marks - probably in the 180 to 320 range and progressively sand with finer grits down to about 2500. Then get a small buffer wheel and some compound for stainless and polish them out. It’s a lot of work. I’ve restored my share of stainless and aluminum trim but I use a buffer motor/big pads which speeds the polishing a lot.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks DanEC, very much appreciated….
Old 12-14-2021, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     

Shell Valley sells headers and side-pipes for 90" wheelbase cars with both big and small block choices. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're offered in S.S. so you're out of luck there Sea2jet but I wonder if anyone has ever tried them on an ERA? I'm not in the market yet, but when I am I won't be looking for S.S. and they're priced reasonably.