Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Era 289 Fia (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/21941-era-289-fia.html)

NeedAntiVenom 11-27-2002 04:02 PM

Era 289 Fia

New to the forum so I hope you will all bear with me...

I'm considering buying an new ERA 289/FIA Cobra as a street only car and was hoping I might get some feedback from those who own them (or other ERA's).

Getting a chance to drive one prior to purchase appears slim - what is the handling like, particularly as it approaches it limits?

My wife will also drive it - she learned to drive on a big block Camaro - since then Fiats, Stealths, MR2s and rides horses and dirt bikes - not a sissy. For me, my first car was a modified GTO Ram Air IV ~425HP, since then small block Charger, Celica and my current weekender - an 89 supercharged MR2 - at 2400 Lbs and 145 HP the power is a snoozer. To make it a reasonable weekend/daily driver, a 302 at around 300-325 HP seems about right - too much? too little?

I don't have a local engine builder, and was considering a Southern Automotive 302 - does anyone have additional suggestions for motor or builder?

Tremec trans? T10?

After looking at all of the Cobra manufacturers for months, ERA was the only one I called - none of the others really impressed me the same way - some were just plain spooky. In looking at the other kits it seemed the difference between good and exceptional was not that big a difference in price. Given what I'm looking for (daily/weekend driver) should I be considering another manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for any input you have - hope you all have a GREAT Thanksgiving.

Jim

cobrajeff 11-27-2002 04:37 PM

You will NOT be dissappointed with an ERA

Jim -

I have the first production FIA kit that ERA built - I cannot say enough good things about these guys - they are an extremely dedicated bunch.

There are other some other good kits on the market, but you will find NONE better than the ERA. The body is absolutely faithful to the original FIA car - it is NOT like some of the others brands, where they merely trimmed 427 fenders to try to replicate the 289 FIA shape - this car is dead accurate.

The kit supplied by ERA is very complete, and everything fits together - no surprises. The car goes together very well, and their assembly manual is second to none. The parts are delivered on time, and, if you have any issues, they are handled expeditiously.

I have had my car on the road for 5 years, and enjoyed every minute of it. The ride of the car is amazingly smooth and supple for the level of cornering force it will generate. I have had it on the track at a number of SAAC events, and it is very predictable in the corners. I feel it combines the best of both worlds - the downright sex appeal of the slender, lithe 289 FIA body style, and the handling characteristics of the updated (coil-over spring-suspension) chassis.

The guys at ERA were great to deal with, and have exhibited "after-the-sale" support that any manufacturer would be envious of.

You can't go wrong with an ERA - and the 289 FIA is a terriffic car!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...70Pass-med.JPG

regards,

Jeff Burgy

casaleenie 11-27-2002 04:48 PM

Jeff,
How does the Unique 289 match the ERA in authenticity?
Always liked the looks of the 289 FIA over the 427- Just a personal preferrence.
Curious to the comparison between two builders....

cobrajeff 11-27-2002 05:38 PM

Unique makes a very nice car, but it appears to me that their car started as a 427. The front fender flares on a 289 FIA are 'flatter" than a 427 flare - the Unique flares appear to be "cut-back" 427 flares. On early Unique FIA cars, the radius to the rear flares doesn't look right - they made an improvement to that several years ago.

The trunk dimples on the Unique look too sharp to me. It could be argued that many of these details could even vary in original Cobras - but, for me, after studying Cobras for 40 years, the ERA looks "just right" to me.

Send me an e-mail, and I will send you some picture comparisons between the Unique and ERA FIA cars.

The Weavers build a very nice car, and are running a first-class operation. They also have a very good reputation for Customer service, and a very loyal customer base. You couldn't go wrong with one of their cars.

regards,

Jeff Burgy

FIA Mike 11-27-2002 06:21 PM

Jim,

Jeff is right on with his summary of ERA. Those guys (Peter, Bob, Bryan, Doug) are great. I have ERA 289 FIA #2047. I'm running a 355HP 302 with a T5 "world class" tranny. It is very streetable with no heating issues in stop and go traffic. My car was a turnkey from ERA with the motor built by Danbury Competition. If you want more info. send me an e-mail message.

Regards, FIA Mike

bonyhadi 11-27-2002 06:51 PM

Jim,
Great choice, you can't do better if you you want to run a small block, for a big block,
stick with ERA unless you want to go alluminum, then Kirkham or Shelby are the way to go. Good luck.

Greg Kulp 11-27-2002 07:13 PM

More of the Same

Jim,

I can only repeat what everyone else has said... great car, great people. My car is almost ready for the road. I have taken a very "relaxed" approach to the build, I haven't allowed getting the car done to be a stress point in my life (plenty of that from elsewhere.)

Casaleenie,

One other major difference between the Unique and ERA... take a look at the rear fenders and cut back doors. The ERA cut back doors fit right into the fenders. On the Unique the doors are "cut back", but they don't actually fit into the fenders as the original. With that said, I still love the Unique too, nice car.

Take care,

Greg

decooney 11-27-2002 09:43 PM

Re:

Jim,

you will not be disappointed with an ERA. May I be so bold to say, that you will be thrilled with it. They cost a bit more, but worth it.

If you want to see a really nice FIA ERA, take a good look at FIA Mike's ERA pictures - he lives in my area. Mike's car is not only a nice FIA, but one of the nicest looking Cobras I've ever seen. His motor sounds great too through that FIA exhaust.

Good Luck!

NeedAntiVenom 11-29-2002 05:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback Jeff, Mike, BonyHadi, Greg and Duane. I spoke with Peter earlier in the week and was equally impressed.

It is good to hear such unamimously positive comments coming from those who own them, and thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

Barring anything unusual with the factory visit it's a done deal. A dose of the the hair of the snake that bit me is in order.

Thanks again,

Jim

M. Farcus 12-04-2002 10:16 AM

I have had both the 427 and the 289... the 427 was brutally fast, the 289 just as fast on a road coarse and much more fun to drive. Go ERA's web site...somewhere there is a picture of my ittsy bittsy 289 leading a pack of 427's at a Vintage race.

Murt

Bob Putnam 12-05-2002 03:32 AM

David vs Goliath

Specialk 12-05-2002 05:28 AM

Was that on the warm up lap? The yellow car crashed on the first lap at that race I think. I tried to get the front section of the body so I could hang it on the wall, but couldn't get it. :(

Quote:

Originally posted by M. Farcus
I have had both the 427 and the 289... the 427 was brutally fast, the 289 just as fast on a road coarse and much more fun to drive. Go ERA's web site...somewhere there is a picture of my ittsy bittsy 289 leading a pack of 427's at a Vintage race.

Murt

NeedAntiVenom,

I have a friend with a 20 year old ERA, and the car is still in excellent condition. The fiberglass is perfect and the car is rock solid. The engineering makes the car very easy to work on.

Tongue Pirate 12-05-2002 08:00 AM

M. Farcus,
Do you have any more pictures of your 289? It is similar to the paint scheme I am interested in.

NeedAntiVenom 12-05-2002 08:17 AM

Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war

Uhoh, I may have unleashed the most feared of all "discussions" - big/small block. :eek:

For my needs - ok WANTS - a street car, the small block fits the bill. I want handling, drivability and speed in that order - not stains on my seat. BTW - I have open class dirt bikes with 3.6 Lbs/HP so I'm not a stranger to it - a rush when the circumstances are right - a serious handful the rest of the time. I'd still like to try a nice 427 SO sometime - even my wife thinks thats a good idea - then again she keeps handing me the radio when I'm in the shower. ;)

I've gained the needed domestic authorization - I'll be standing in line for my beautiful ERA 289 FIA with all the other poor drooling sods by the end of the week. **)

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Tongue Pirate 12-05-2002 11:33 AM

NeedAntiVenom,

Hey let me know what your wait time is once you place your order. Hopefully I'll only be a few weeks behind you on placing an order. Good Luck!

casaleenie 12-05-2002 12:33 PM

I love this quote:

From "The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965" byDave Friedman.

"The 427 Cobra ready for delivery to a customer. Everyone at Shelby American used to make bets on how long it would be until the car was returned to the shop with a blown engine or in a box due to a crash. Most employees considered these cars lethal and the 427's never enjoyed the popularity with the employees that the 289 did."

Jim Holden 12-06-2002 02:08 PM

Dear Need:

Now Murt has a nice car, but he's run that dog hard and put it away wet few times... 'course there a few dogs, big or small, that can run with that 'ol boy.

Here is what my unabashed ripoff of Murt's car looks like (click here: http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/holden2.htm

Remember: It's the journey that's the thing. So, I think you'll enjoy your visit to ERA. It's part of the "journey." Make sure to arrive at about 11:00 am when the "roach coach" is there. Peter runs a tab. ...and get him to take you to lunch... and don't settle for Capital Lunch...

Morty MacTavish

PS: As a multiple ERA owner (not all at the same time), I can't say it better than Murt and Jeff!

Pete C 12-06-2002 04:26 PM

My ERA is 23 years old and still goin' strong. Check out my gallery and you can see that it is not a trailer queen but a car that is driven. There is an overhead group picture (http://www.clubcobra.com/cgi-bin/pho....pl?photo=3028) taken with cars less than a third its age, except for Jamo’s, and you will notice it still looks great (from 10 feet you cant see the road rash).

Cheers, Pete

PS The engine is a low cost compromise in that it has the "right" FE look and feel at a fraction of the price of a 427 SO. It is a blue printed, balanced 390 with 427, polished, ported heads, 2, 450 cfm fours, forged pistons, solid, shell lifters and a 427 B cam.

NeedAntiVenom 12-10-2002 08:58 AM

The Stork Has Clearance

Thanks everyone for the advice and great pictures. Looking forward to a legendary 289/FIA ERA Cobra in my garage this spring. Until then I'll just keep breathing into a brown paper bag and tape Depends under my chin in a feeble attempt to catch the drool. :p

Some support group - aren't you guys supposed to talk me down?? ;)

TounguePirate - the wait for 289's appears relatively short - 'til then you can share my Depends. I'll post a more accurate date as soon as I have one. :3DSMILE:

Jim Holden - thanks for the roach wagon tip. My wife makes a chilli that makes sweat pour out of your eyelids. With a forged titanium stomach I'll eat him into submission for a lower price - if that fails, I'll get an EPA waiver and send him some chilli. :D

Hope you all have the happiest of holidays,

Jim

Jim Holden 12-10-2002 09:36 AM

Need:

Yesterday, (so my assistant reports) Peter called. Before she could say hello there was a loud belch on the other end of the line, which he then tried to disguise saying that a car had just backfired...

You're going to have to go some to eat PEP under the table. Lord knows I've tried for years.

Morty Mactavish

PS: Post the chili recipe. I have one we use for the local volunteer fire dept. muster, but we're always looking for different ones.