Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   What is engine movement like? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/45759-what-engine-movement-like.html)

Chaplin 10-07-2003 07:44 AM

Pat-
It seems to have done the trick, I did not notice any new rubbing marks on the pipes. To be sure I have eliminated the problem though, I think I am going to put some white grease on the edge of the body, take a spin and check the pipe when I get back, but I do think the problem is solved. This may seem odd, but I felt like the car drove better after the modification to the mount - of course that improvement could be "in my mind." **)
Mike

Jim Holden 11-07-2003 06:56 PM

Bob:

The small block engine mounts are different than the big block's. Any way to put a bolt through the small block mount to keep it from moving? ANy suggestions? Do you have any of the old GT motor mounts around?

Jim

strictlypersonl 11-08-2003 05:39 AM

These mounts (EB-302) from Autofab look suspiciously close to the correct ones. You may have to enlarge the slot in the chassis to make them work though. Autofab sells the same piece for the left and rigtht, while the mounts we use are different by 1/8".
http://www.autofab.com/DSC00003.jpg

Jim Holden 11-08-2003 06:28 AM

Bob/Strict:

Thanks. With the GW heads, the webers hit the hood when it revs. Hopefully, these mounts with urethane bushings will do the trick.

Jim

Jim Holden 11-10-2003 03:19 PM

Bob:

In checking with Autofab, they indicate that the motor mounts as used in the Bronco are the same on both sides (ie same part #) whereas those used in passenger cars (ie Mustang) are "handed" (different part #s). Of course he says that if I send him a set he will "see" what it takes to make them fit. So, am I going down this road?

Jim

Mr.Fixit 11-10-2003 04:53 PM

The best solution to engine torque-over, is an aluminum flywheel.

Jim Holden 12-12-2003 10:44 AM

Bob:

The box with the motor mounts from Autofab are up there somewhere. Last I heard they were in a box on top of my Jag rear next to the front door to Peter's office...

Jim

strictlypersonl 12-13-2003 05:23 AM

Jim,

I did some measuring...

Unfortunately, they put the engine about 3/8" higher than the stock mounts. It's not worth it to modify them - easier to start from scratch. So I guess I'll have to start from square one and fab some new jigs and mounts. :CRY:

Jim Holden 12-13-2003 05:47 PM

Damn...

Jim

Jim Holden 04-21-2004 07:38 PM

Small block motor mounts

Bob:

Thanks for engineering the small block motor mount modification for my FIA. I installed them this past weekend and they appear to limit the motion of the motor just enought to prevent the right front Weber horn from wacking the hood.

I know you took pictures of the mounts before you sent them out. Why not post them in case anyone else has a similar clearance problem? Simple enough solution once you see them!

Jim

PS: And, once again thanks for engineering a "retro" fix for a problem (putting a small block Windsor w/Gurney Weslake Heads w/Webers in) that you might not have envisioned when you were engineering the original engine/motor mount configuration... as usual you go the extra mile(s).

strictlypersonl 04-22-2004 10:27 AM

The instructions for stiffening up the stock mounts are here.

Jim Holden 04-22-2004 11:47 AM

Bob:

Thanks again. I'm sure the info will be helphful to other "little" motor guys in like situation.

Jim