Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-27-2003, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default What is engine movement like?

I'm assuming the engine mounts listed in the ERA manual are rubber. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of urethane FE engine mounts? Do the engines move quite a bit when torque is applied? I'm worried about flexing sidepipe tabs and the sidepipes banging into the car. Is this a non-problem?

Dreamer
Old 09-28-2003, 03:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as I know, there are no urethane replacements for the mount that we use with the FE. There is room, though for a through-bolt that will limit movement without creating extra engine vibration through the chassis.
Some have used struts from the head to the chassis.

In general, though, we don't have a problem with excessive engine movement without any of the fixes above.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-28-2003, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Dreamer,

I was getting quite a bit of flex due to engine torque. The sidepipes were hitting the body cutouts. I installed a 7/16" bolt through the motor mount with just a little bit of "looseness" and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'd highly recommend it.

Chris
Old 09-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the modification below will work. The trouble is, I won't be able to confirm that for a few days.

Engine mount through-bolt.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Chris/Bob-
I noticed that my pipes are also rubbing ever so slightly on the driver's side body cutout. So, I may have to do the same modification.

Is there enough room to the drill the mount while it's installed on the motor or does the mount have to come out?

What does the bolt hit that keeps the motor from torquing over?

What, if anything, will this do to the lifespan of the mount?

Chris- Can you post a picture of your finished installation?

Thanks guys,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-30-2003, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

I was getting rub marks on the top of the left side pipes and on the bottom of the right side pipes.

I had to remove the motor mount to drill it. Removing the mount wasn't very difficult though. I just placed a floor jack under the oil pan and lifted the motor a bit to get the clearance I needed. I'm running a Canton pan which is pretty solid. I might hesitate to do the same thing on a factory Ford pan.

Before removing the motor mount, I scribbed around the perimeter with an awl so I could tell where to put the bolt where it wouldn't interfere with the frame.

By putting a bolt through the motor mount, it doesn't really hit on anything. The motor mount is two metal plates which are somehow adhered to a big hunk of rubber in between. You drill the hole through one metal plate, through the rubber and then through the other metal plate. When the motor torques, the rubber on the left mount is stretched. The bolt limits how far the rubber can stretch.

I'm not sure what this modification will do to the lifespan of the motor mount if anything. It might even extend it since it limits how far the rubber can stretch (thereby decreasing the forces that will try to pull the rubber away from from the metal plate).

I didn't take any photos as I was doing the install. I'll see if I can take a couple tonight.

Chris
Old 09-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris-
Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot. Now I can "see" what you're talking about. Mine is only rubbing on the top of the driver's side pipe- other side has a lot of clearance. I also have the Canton pan, and a good floor jack, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like I have a weekend project.

I assume you loosenedd the passenger side mount as well? Also, did you need to loosen the trans mount or was there enough movement once you loosened the front mounts?

Thanks again,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

Last edited by Chaplin; 09-30-2003 at 12:22 PM..
Old 09-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the accurate information, Chris!

(I've improved the web page since this morning.)

This is what it looks like when it's done:

Old 09-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob-
Thanks for the pics Bob! That helps.

BTW, it seems that you're always improving the website. Everytime I go to your site it seems I find something new that wasn't there before.

Last edited by Chaplin; 09-30-2003 at 10:57 AM..
Old 09-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One more question. Reading this thread, I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that you only need to install the bolt in the driver's side mount. Is this correct, or should both mounts get the bolt?

Old 09-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chap,

Since the right mount is in compression (mostly) the bolt-modification will help only under the most extreme conditions.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

I didn't need to loosen the trans mount. I did, however, make the modification to both the right and the left sides (one side at a time of course). I contemplated only doing the drivers side but I decided to do both since I was getting rub marks on the bottom of the passenger's side too. I agree with Bob that the right side is mostly compression force but I think the torque is not perfectly perpendicular to the motor mount. It's hard to explain but I think that might cause some "sliding" forces so to speak too thus causing the wear on the bottom of my right side pipes.

On the bright side, the modifications only took me about 2 hours and that included two trips to the hardware store.

Chris
Old 09-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does any project, no matter how big or how small, ever require less than two trips to the hardware store? Thanks for the info, now I have something to do this weekend!

Old 09-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Chap,
Mike ERA626 just did his, and it works. I'm going to do mine as well; needs to be done. Without it, you will be replacing header gaskets too from header pipe flex.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaplin,

I'm just glad the hardware store is close by. I often wonder how people that live "out in the sticks" get by (my dad is a real handyman but the closest hardware store for him is about an hour from his house). While I was building the car, every time my girlfriend called the first thing she'd ask was "are you at Orchards (a local hardware store) again?" Of course now that the car is running, I have a hard time hearing her over the rumble of the exhaust. Now she asks, "are you out cruising in the Cobra again?" Haha. Life is grand.

Chris
Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob & Chris-
Thanks for the help. I did it this weekend. Took less than two hours - including one stop to the hardware store. That's right only one stop. (I've decided from now on that when I go to the hardware store I'm going to buy the thing that I need and then buy one size smaller and one bigger. This way I figure I'll eliminate multiple trips and eventually I should build up a supply at home and avoid having to go the hardware store all together ) Who am I kidding? I'm still going to have to go to the hardware store, because I won't have what I need.

Mike

Old 10-06-2003, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I just did mine, however I still noticed rubbing on my drivers side pipes so I tightend the nylock nut a little more to make it snug that should do the trick.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Mike(s)-

Well how did it work out?

I can see it now - part of the track tuning ritual involves "adjusting" your engine mounts!

Not as weird as it sounds, I am thinking....

Pat
Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I dont know yet I broke my stub axle in my rear end I have to pull it apart and send it to ERA