Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 695 w/Shelby alloy block 427#CSX506 w/Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Default At the end of the line

Hi ERA owners:

I find it pretty amazing there is a whole section for ERA here on Cobra Club.

ERA has my deposit for a 427 SC roller with the ERA suspension set up for the outboard rotors and adjustable sway bar. Should be able to hold the road and stop pretty fast, I think.

Carroll Shelby Enterprises is building the motor with all the Shelby stuff and a mild hydraulic roller lifter cam and TKO tranny, correct bell housing, Mcleod 12" clutch with dual friction disk and lightweight flywheel. The car will be painted black with silver stripe and black roll bar and sidepipes.

I'll keep you posted when I get the roller. From what I see here it will be awhile. The anticpation reminds me of when I was a kid a few weeks before Christmas. This snake will make two for me the other is a steel grey pearl 2000 Viper RT/10.

Mike
Old 03-13-2004, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations Mike!

The wait is actually a carefully crafted ploy by Peter to get you to second guess your color choice about 9 times, and think up all the options you should or shouldn't add before it finally rolls out the door!

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 03-13-2004, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 695 w/Shelby alloy block 427#CSX506 w/Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Hi Bruce:

What is a senior Cobra Club member?

I was considering Kirkham. Very nice cars. I bet yours is beauty and fast as hell.

Best regards, Mike
Old 03-13-2004, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Congratulations and Welcome

Mike,

That wait can be agonizing, but it is worth it! Besides, it gives you plenty of time to spend more money on accessories and garage stuff. Also, you'll probably wind up getting some additional upgrades from ERA.

Bottom line - great car - great company!

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 03-13-2004, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

BTW - You become a "senior club member" when you reach 100 posts.

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 03-14-2004, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

I thought they were picking on my gray hair!

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 03-14-2004, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by mpotito

Hi Bruce:

I was considering Kirkham. Very nice cars. I bet yours is beauty and fast as hell.

Mike

Mike - if you look under my name, you will see I own ERA#601 - 428, toploader. A Kirkham is another stratosphere of cost - perhaps in the future, but, as my tag line says, I'm enjoying the heck out of the wait - with my ERA.

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 03-15-2004, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike:
Congrats on your upcoming ERA. It sounds really nice. The black roll bar with the black body will look real nice. Are you going with the black sidepipes too?

It is always nice to have another Cobra here in New England. Be sure to email me with your data and I will put you onto the New England Cobra Enthusiasts mailing list. (see our area of posts in the Cobra Clubs Forum).

Have you defined the silver color for the stripes? There are some "new" darkish titainium silvers that would look great with black, especially if you color code them to the halibrand wheel centers.

There are some fairly famous black 427's, across the pond that are pure black without any stripes. Quite stunning cars without stripes. Much more menacing looking and much less boy racer in apperance. The pure black gives the 427 S/C a much wider appearance for sure. The stripeless look is something perhaps to consider and research. COB 001 is such an example.

Are you doing anything special with the engine compartment or the trunk details? The engine sounds swell. It should be this side of "Perky" with the light flywheel and all. Alot like JoeA's (he is up in your area). I think he had Kraft assemle his powerplant. It is a beautiful mill. Whos heads and intake manifold will you be using? How many carbs?

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 03-15-2004 at 04:04 AM..
Old 03-15-2004, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Art:

I see you are up very early this morning. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I intend to use black sidepipes. I intend to have a silver stripe that is the same color as the original. I had toyed with the idea of an all black car but decided to nix the idea as I already own a Buick Grand National which is all black so to go all black with another car would get monotonous. The heads and dual plane intake are Shelby with Shelby stage II porting. The following is the list of other stuff: Shelby Signiture Series roller rocker arms, Shelby timing cover, Shelby valve covers, Shelby double roller timing set, Shelby water pump, billet aluminum pulleys, forged pistons 10.5:1 compression, hydraulic roller lifter cam, forged H-beam connecting rods, steel crank with 4.125 stroke, blue printed oil pump, breakerless, distributor, Aviaid Cobra oil pan with windage tray, remote oil adapter, Cobra oil filter and fabricated mount, installed with fittings. Engine will be blueprinted & dynoed by Shelby.

I appreciate your thoughts and look forward to continued dialog as I progress through my Cobra project.

Best regards, Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

That is going to be some engine Mike. I cant wait to see it when it arrives at ERA. (Are you having ERA install the engine and trannie and drivetrain?)

I understand fully the redundancy of the pure black.

Do not forget to send me an email with your email address and city, town and Club Cobra name so I can add you to our growing NE Cobra Enthusiasts roster.

We New Englander's have a forum here on CLub Cobra. Go to the Forums area, click on the Club Forums Forum and NE Cobra Enthusiasts is near the bottom of the list.

or just click on this URL and you will get there...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=52

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 03-25-2004, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Art in CT:

I've posted an inquiry over on the NE Cobra Enthusiasts thread about the group. Where exactly are you? I'm located over in Westchester, just north of NYC.

Jim
Old 03-26-2004, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jim:
I am in Southern CT along the coast so we are VERY close to each other in relative terms. The NE Cobra Enthusiasts are alot like the old Polish Race Car Drivers Club.. (except you do not have to be Polish)

Here were the criteria and goals of the PRCDC as memory serves...

No Dues, No Initiation Process, No Minimum Standards, No Meetings, No Newsletter, No Nothing.

Requirements for Becoming a Polish Race Car Drivers Club Member:

You are Polish and a Race Car Driver.
You are Polish and Not a Race Car Driver.
You are Not Polish and a Race Car Driver.
You are Not Polish and Not a Race Car Driver.

In our case just change the Polish to New England or North East.

These were the guys who drove the van full of 55 gallon drums of gasoline in one of the Gumball Ralleys and ran out of gas. Gotta love it...

Just some folks that seem to live in the NE and like Cobras and would like perhaps to meet each other at events.

We are just getting started and would LOVE to have you as a member. Just send me an email with your name, your club cobra handle, your cobra type, your state and your city or geographic area of your state.

After I get it I will add you to the mailing list and the club roster and that is it. You can then expect a misspelled and gramatically incorrect email newsletter about once a month from me that attempts to get us organized.

Just Do IT! (Nike talk)

Last edited by REDSC400; 03-26-2004 at 04:06 AM..
Old 03-27-2004, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 148 Nightwatch Blue
Not Ranked     

Congratuations Mike, the wait is worth it.
I think black is perfect for an ERA, first the bodies are nice and straight and the profile lines are correct. Mike you could be another candidate for our aluminum plating process. I have attached a picture of COBERA's hood I plated for him last year. After his cobra came back from ERA's paint shop Doug removed the hood and I went to ERA , picked up the hood and took it back to my shop were we had it plated and added the turnings effect, then returned it back to era and Doug, after salivating, installed the hood. The turn over time was about 7 days.

Good luck and enjoy
Ron

Last edited by Metal-morphous; 03-27-2004 at 06:36 AM..
Old 03-27-2004, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Ron: Pretty cool. What's it cost? Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron:
I saw your work on Bill Cave's FFR last summer. It was great. What is the time duration needed to do such a job? I would like this done to ERA #375's hood. Can I get in line for late fall time frame?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2004, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike to plate an ERA hood is 375 plus handling, if you have any questions you can call during working hours at 203 294 -1314 and ask for me.

Hi Red, Bill Cave's hood was pretty unique, we not only plated his hood in our seamless aluminum but also added a copper inlay of the shelby snake. Very tricky and very nice. Late fall is no problem, I need the part to be plated for 5 working days, thats our standard turn around time and if need be, we can have it back in less time. Just call a few weeks in advance so we can get you on our schedule.

Ron
Old 03-28-2004, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron:
That sounds swell. Book me and my hood for the late fall timeframe for sure. I can drive the hood over to you for delivery and also pick it up. It is already painted on both sides (inside and out) with midnight blue and LeMans stripes (no stripes on the inside or motor side of the hood).

Is there any chance that the outside paint job will be buggered up by the process? I need to have my expectations set correctly.

On another note, are you going to be at the upcoming April 10th WPRL CT Food Bank, West Haven Rod and Custom show at Savin Rock (Jimmies)? A bunch of us NECE's will be there if the weather is smiling, so I would love to meet you.

Your paint job on Bill's FFive Cobra was real nice. I am sadly, color chalanged in my eyesight. I thought his paint job was black until he and my wife pointed out it was actually a really dark green. I think you did that job? It was a very nice piece of craftsmanship, not to mention the under the hood work.

Do you have a shop here in CT? Can I come and visit some day?

Old 03-28-2004, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art I will pencil you in on Monday and you can stop by the shop anytime, just call first , I'm in and out all day. Art one of the attributes of our plating process is the fact that it will NOT damage the paint in any way, and being that I also do paint work, I handle onther painters work like it was my own being well informed on the price of painting a cobra today. I am planing to go to West haven and I will be looking for you and Bill. Hope it warms up alittle, it still feels like winter.

Ron
Old 03-28-2004, 04:53 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Other??

Ron,

Do you do others?

I mean if I sent my hood to my LoneStar, could you do it?

That looked great.

Old 03-28-2004, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trularin, absolutely, here is a picture of a Tri-State hood and trunk. If you look close you an see a sheet of formica on the floor,we plated it for a customer with our cast copper and then polished it. We can plate anything and just about everything, I'll post a picture of some of the more delicate surfaces we have attached our plating to.

Ron
[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Metal-morphous; 03-28-2004 at 07:23 AM..