Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default ERA FIA Oil Filter Comparison

OK, In a heated rush I ran down to the local auto parts store this weekend & purchased an STP S16 & a Fram Filter, PH16 to try to find one that would fit between the frame & the thermostatic sandwich plate for the oil cooler. I couldn't use the STP in this comparison but it did not appear as quality a filter as the two shown here. I could not find the Fram PH16FP & nor will this PH16 fit but It is a good model for comparison. Before I installed the Oil Cooler I was using a WIX equivalent of the Fram PH16. Since Wix does not list an equivalent filter in length to the STP S16 I went to the Wix GURU which we purchase all of our large filters for our construction trucks & machinery from & asked him if there was indeed a filter made by Wix that would match the S16. He pulled out the book & started writing down a bunch of numbers(I assume were dimensions) We then walked back into the warehouse where he pulled out two filters, the 51311(shown here) & another about half the height(I did not see the use in going that short). So to wrap this up I wanted to see what the difference in quality between filters is. Seems to me that the Wix has larger feed holes which would seem to me flow better & though shorter than the PH16 & a tad taller than the STP S16 seems more stout than both. Tell me what you guys think? Oh...Thanks to Rick Parker for sparking my interest here!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is how I finally resolved my clearance issues. I had room for a full size filter until I chaged slave cylinder designes and locations. So far so good.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was thinking along the same route but my sandwich plate has the thermostat in it which would mean no filter until I reached temp if I am correct?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

If you have space for a 4" tall filter, look into a FRAM HP-3.

But then if I have room for a 4 1/4" tall filter I use a MECCA filter from Canton. Signifficantly better than any of the throw away filters.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried Ford adapter M-6880-A50 on an ERA?
Link
Old 03-01-2006, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #661 with a 428CJ, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Folks,

Here's a link to an oil filter study last updated in 2003. This link has been referenced previously in club cobra, but the content is still good for anyone interested in oil filter quality. It's not going to help determine the correct size filter, only which ones appear to be better than others.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

John Annie
Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl
Has anyone tried Ford adapter M-6880-A50 on an ERA?
Link
Are those reallly the Pkg dimensions or are they infact the part dimensions?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Hyde,

Those are probably the package dimensions. The adapter is quite compact, with the filter mount coming off at 80-85 degrees from the block mount.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting! I'll have to see if my local parts guy has one to check out.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The Ford filter adapter will not fit with a mechanical fuel pump. It was adapted for use with and intended for a Fuel injected engine without the pump hanging off the side of the front cover. I have been through this curve before, hence the remote mounted filter.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 03-01-2006 at 10:41 AM..