Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-17-2006, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     
Default Brake calipers and flex lines questions on ERA

I'm getting ready to purchase some brake calipers for my ERA 289 FIA. Rather than use the standard, recommended GM parts (single piston), I figured I could upgrade to a Wilwood (two piston) caliper for probably about the same price (I'm guessing, based on the apparent GM mark up). Note that the ERA Wilwood option is a larger rotor and a four piston caliper, but I just want something a little better than the GM single piston caliper w/o too much expense.

Question: Anyone know if the Wilwood Dynalite calipers will swap directly with the GM caliper on a ERA front suspension? Any brackets required? Will this fit and clear the standard FIA wheels?

Also, instead of purchasing standard flex lines I am planning on steel braided lines from either Russell or Earl's. Can anyone recommend one or the other? How long do the flex lines need to be for a 289 FIA? I am working on the front suspension only, at this time.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The Dynalite is actually lighter-duty than the stock GM caliper. Much smaller pad area. I wouldn't recommend it.

Some people have used the Stainless Steel Brakes replacement for the GM caliper. Look at some of the older threads in this section for more information.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick reply on the calipers.

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-18-2006, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Upgrade ERA brakes

I just changed from the stock GM calipers to the SSBC aluminum units (from Summit - 185s) and they proved to be quite good (stopping power and feel). They also sell the stainless lines (for a Camero/Firebird).
Installation was a snap.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aha, Summit. I should have picked up my catalog and looked for them.

Are all the 185's the same, or do you have to specify a year and model GM car to get the right caliper?

"You're kidding, right?"