Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     
Default convertible top or not

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was just informed this week that my ERA 289 FIA frame is back from powder coat and that the tank is mounted. This has generated some exciting conversations in my house as to what other options I had asked for and what I should add. We are contemplating having ERA install the convertable top. The manual suggests a profesional do this, so we thought we would have ERA do this. My question is, to those of you that have convertible tops on your FIAs, do you use them or is this an option that we can pass on?

Thanks in advance

Marc-Alan
Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, a top just defeats the purpose of the whole Cobra concept. As long as you have another car or truck to use in inclement weather, spend your money on other options...just keep a couple of rain slickers in the trunk for emergency.
I'll have a tonneau cover for when my 427 SC is parked outside.
Good luck with your FIA
PS What is the chassis number?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Number

When I called and Peter had told me that the chassis had come back from powder coat and he gave me the number. I was so surprised, and jumping up and down with anticipation, that I did not write it down.

I will give him a call today and get it.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

If it is a trailer queen, don't worry about a top. If actually plan on driving the thing, get a top! I can't imagine having to skip something I want to attend or some place I want to go simply because it is raining. Like last year when I drove the car to Alabama. It POURED down rain on the way back. Without the top I would have had to stop and wait it out... which in this case would have been about 24 hours.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 06-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

I ordered my FIA without a top, too. I changed my mind later, and ordered a top for it. I installed it myself, but if I had it to do over again, I'd have ERA install it - they really know what they are doing.

Another thing I'd do differently if I had it to do over again - I would have ERA do the paint, too. I had a local custom painter do mine - it's really nice (and I have won at least one "Best Paint" award at a show), but, I don't think it's TWICE as nice (like the price was) as the paintwork from ERA's regular sub-suppliers.

regards,

Jeff
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I went with the top and side curtains on my 427 S/C (ERA684),since I got the car to drive, and have never regretted it. They are stowed in the trunk and go everywhere with me. When I want to go somewhere or do something I just go, no worries.
Being from the great northwet, where it isn't unusual to have more than 40 days in a row with measurable rain fall. the top has extended my driving season from 3 months to almost 6.
Last September included a 7 day trip for my wife and I from Portland to San Francisco to Carmel and back to Portland via the pacific coast. Made the trip without a single thought about inclement weather. The top made the trip even more fun and relaxed.
Have ERA do the fitting since they have the experience and expertise. You won't be sorry.
DonC
Old 06-07-2006, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan
Hi, I am new to this forum. I was just informed this week that my ERA 289 FIA frame is back from powder coat and that the tank is mounted. This has generated some exciting conversations in my house as to what other options I had asked for and what I should add. We are contemplating having ERA install the convertable top. The manual suggests a profesional do this, so we thought we would have ERA do this. My question is, to those of you that have convertible tops on your FIAs, do you use them or is this an option that we can pass on?

Thanks in advance

Marc-Alan
Have ERA Do it. I had mine done elsewhere & they did a good job but I stood over them the whole time to make sure they did it to the best of their ability. One thing right off that most upholsteres won't likely know is that the back bar goes backwards not forwards as on a lot of 427 cars. I had to show my guys a picture to prove it. Also ERA nows their car & how to install the top after doing a number of them. Hassle free There are some pics in my gallery
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

top? you don't need no stinkin' top!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Be carefull around here. Most of these guys/gals like to go topless even if they shouldn't.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Get the top and side curtains. They can be very handy, when you take the car on a trip.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Anyone that says go with a top is probably not too tall. Getting in or out of a Cobra with the top on may be impossible for many owners who are not height challenged.

Rain? You will not melt. Find an overpass. Put a big baggie over your head. You will not be caught in enough rainstorms to make it worthwhile.

Go for more motor ... you will appreciate that a lot more than a pain-in-the-a$$ top that takes 30 minutes to put on, and leaks like the Titantic.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm about 6'1" & can manage in & out of mine pretty easily though I'm not too horizontally challenged It's not gonna be like your Toyota Tercel or anything but it ain't all bad
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

I am 6 ' can get in and out. have to bend down to see out the side curtains.
Wttm442, I bet you have never been caught in a 700 mile rain storm. like we were coming home from WSCB.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

wtm442,

What is "not too tall"?

I'm 6'5", 280 lbs., and 57 years old (not as flexible as I once was). I have no problem getting in or out with the soft top on or seeing out the side curtains.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Cobra is a daily driver. We get a LOT of rainy days here, and even though you do not get too wet as long as the car is moving, those darn stoplight stops are what get you soaked.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi all, thanks for the input. I am going to get the top, and have ERA put it on.

As to the the chassis number, Peter tells me it is 2112

Marc-Alan
Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

24 cars after mine, Good number!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

marcalan,

Wise moves - both getting the top, and having the "pros" do it.

Enjoy your Cobra!!!

Cheers!
Dave
Old 06-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442
Anyone that says go with a top is probably not too tall. Getting in or out of a Cobra with the top on may be impossible for many owners who are not height challenged.

Rain? You will not melt. Find an overpass. Put a big baggie over your head. You will not be caught in enough rainstorms to make it worthwhile.

Go for more motor ... you will appreciate that a lot more than a pain-in-the-a$$ top that takes 30 minutes to put on, and leaks like the Titantic.
Come on...and you have a Superformance????? In 3 years and almost 18,000 miles I've had the top up DOZENS of times. I can put it up or take it down in 5 minutes. In 30° weather with a coat on, it's cozy in my car with the top up. A sudden rainstorm won't ruin the whole day: I just put the top up and take it down when the rain is over. Sure, some rain comes in but driving around in a cozy, intimate roadster with the top up is a lot more fun (for you and whomever) than driving around with wet pants and a freakin' baggie over your head.

Oh yeah...I'm 6'6" tall and 220# and I can get in and out just fine...

Get the top!

Lowell
Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Something else that is really handy to have is a cockpit cover, the kind that clip to the lip around the wheel well. They go up in seconds and cover the interior nicely when parked. A tonneau is fine but the water pools in it. Search around here and I am sure you will find the type I am talking about.

In the winter, I put the top on the car and leave it. If I get a nice sunny day I just kick on the heater and drive! Much more comfortable then a dozen layers of cloths and frost bit ears! When we where driving across the high desert of New Mexico, it was dark, 28 degrees with 60 mile per hour winds. Without the top, we would have stopped!

DON'T forget to have a tensioner installed on the windshield. The top will pull the frame right off the glass. Don't ask how I know this!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com