Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Straight vs bend shifter (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/72399-straight-vs-bend-shifter.html)

DrC 08-31-2006 03:50 AM

Straight vs bend shifter

Why does ERA use a bend shifter instead of a straight shifter. Can a straight shifter be used in ERAs?

REDSC400 08-31-2006 04:18 AM

Most all of the original 427 Cobras were equipped with the Ford Toploader transmission. The toploader came with the bent shifter and T bar (lockout from reverse). On the original Ford cars the bent shifter was placed in the car with the bend to the rear of the car. In the Cobra the shifter was flipped 180 degrees and allowed for easier "at hand" shifting.

If you used a straight shifter with a toploader, the shifter would be situated more rearword and you would be shifting with your right arm positioned far back and down... not a comfortable position IMHO.

Additionally, the bent shifter on 427 Cobras reproduces the classic look. If you changed to a straight shifer, many knowledgable folks would query you as to why you would do that.

The straight shifter is used in the 289 Cobra that ERA makes.

DrC 08-31-2006 05:47 AM

Great info. Thanks

mrud 08-31-2006 06:07 AM

Question on shifter

Always wondered why the Reverse lockout is never used. Seems like it could be useful?
Mike

strictlypersonl 08-31-2006 08:29 AM

Unfortunately neither the Hurst nor Long shifter has provisions to use the lockout on the lever. We just keep it for the proper look.

Ant 03-05-2007 01:44 PM

Shifter

strictlypersonal,

Do you know which shifter eg T5 or FFR reproduction 427 style shifter fits the long style shifter 2 bolt upright pattern?

d_ford 03-05-2007 02:05 PM

My ERA uses the original ford shifter turned backward that has not been cut down so the lockout still works. It looks tall but actually fits and shifts very nicely. I thought about cutting it down per the manual but it works too well as-is.

Jim Holden 03-05-2007 02:47 PM

While the "backward" shifter may look awkward to the uninitiated, it actually makes shifting much easier than it would otherwise be if it were installed "normally" or with a straight up and down lever. With the reversed shift lever, the shift ball is located where your hand naturally drops when you remove it from the steering wheel and the shifter motion is quite natural. It made sense 40 years ago and it still does.

Jim

FUNFER2 03-05-2007 03:23 PM

I believe the shifter handle was borrowed from the Mustang and turned backward.

Murphy 03-05-2007 05:38 PM

My memory is not what it used to be

I swear the original style shifter is the same as the one in my 1969 Mustang fastback with the console.

cosbytnkid 03-06-2007 08:36 AM

Straight vs. Bend Shifter

I don't think the shifter was borrowed from a Mustang. If memory serves me right, the shifter and tranny was from 1964 Ford Galaxy and turned backwards. It was the only way Shelby could make the shifter work with the toploader transmission. Mustang didn't come along until April of '64. And it was formed off the old Falcon platform so parts for it were lighter than the old Galaxy.

Excaliber 03-06-2007 09:34 AM

Shelby had access to parts and supplies not yet available to the general public and often parts never released to the public.

But it is an interesting question: Galaxie or Mustang?

cosbytnkid 03-06-2007 10:00 AM

Excaliber what you say about Shelby is very true. I'm trying to remember what year the 427 Cobra came out was it '64 or '65? Anyway my point is this. He used the power train that had come out on the '64 Galaxy. Under the right conditions you could special order a 427 SO with 4 speed. I know because I knew a guy back home that had one. It was black with the aluminum bumpers and it looked mean just sitting still. So for the sake of economics it's easier to use what Ford already had sitting on the shelf. That's why later on he used the 428 engine because they were so much cheaper.

Tony Radford 03-06-2007 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I must confess my deviation from accuracy. I was a bit particular about my shifter location. I searched far and wide to get the configuration I needed for a comfortable feel.

cosbytnkid 03-06-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Radford
I must confess my deviation from accuracy. I was a bit particular about my shifter location. I searched far and wide to get the configuration I needed for a comfortable feel.

Hey whatever works. I don't think ole Carrol would mind. Myself I prefer the original look

Excaliber 03-06-2007 04:06 PM

Deviation from accuracy will not be tolerated!!

:LOL: :LOL:

OK, except for maybe Tony in this one case.

d_ford 03-06-2007 04:13 PM

Wouldn't the galaxy toploader tail shaft be too long and put the shifter location too far rearward? I always heard that it was borrowed from the mustang but I guess I really don't know.

Chaplin 03-06-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Holden
While the "backward" shifter may look awkward to the uninitiated, it actually makes shifting much easier than it would otherwise be if it were installed "normally" or with a straight up and down lever. With the reversed shift lever, the shift ball is located where your hand naturally drops when you remove it from the steering wheel and the shifter motion is quite natural. It made sense 40 years ago and it still does.

Jim

Surprisingly good answer from someone with less than 10 miles on their car :p :p :)

spl310 03-06-2007 07:52 PM

The 289 cars used the galaxie transmission as the shifter is mounted well forward. It came out in a perfect location, but they had to make the stubby straight shifter for it as the others were too long. When Shelby started stuffing in the 427, they needed a shorter transmission, so they went with the Mustang unit. The problem is that the Mustang unit puts the shifter at the end of the tailshaft. Flipping the Mustang lever solved the problem.

cosbytnkid 03-07-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spl310
The 289 cars used the galaxie transmission as the shifter is mounted well forward. It came out in a perfect location, but they had to make the stubby straight shifter for it as the others were too long. When Shelby started stuffing in the 427, they needed a shorter transmission, so they went with the Mustang unit. The problem is that the Mustang unit puts the shifter at the end of the tailshaft. Flipping the Mustang lever solved the problem.

I stand corrected. I honestly didn't think they used parts from the Mustang. But then again my memory ain't what it used to be. Thanks for correcting me. Goes to show we are never too old to learn something new.