Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   1st time Club Cobra visitor and ERA owner (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/72839-1st-time-club-cobra-visitor-era-owner.html)

Gilby 09-14-2006 07:53 PM

1st time Club Cobra visitor and ERA owner

Hi All,

I've only just joined Club Cobra although I purchased my ERA #669 directly from Peter Portante almost three years ago. Some of you may know it as the clone of his green street car CSX 3252. I have done a few things to it such as mounting GoodYear Sport Car Special billboard tires on the Sunbursts. I know this sounds wierd on a street car but it really looks good. Anyway, maybe some of you could help me with some advice on what to do with the undercar exhaust system.

The slip joints at the collecter where leaking badly, making a racket and a mess. I tried Walker Acusti-Seal (what a mess). I figure the DynoMax mufflers may be so restrictive that the backpressure is contributing to the general leakyness. So now I have installed an original set of Cobra exhaust manifolds but this seems to have taken away a bit of power. Any ideas on a leak free header and free flowing muffler combo? I do wan't to stay with the 2" pipes out the back.

Also, does anyone know were I can buy those repro. California black plates and can they replicate a vanity plate such as ERA 669?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gilby

CJ428CJ 09-15-2006 07:02 AM

Gilby,

You can buy retro California plates here: http://www.licenseplates.tv/ Not sure if they're really legal but I have seen the old black and yellow style vanity plates on Cobras.

I have an ERA with sidepipes so I'm not sure if your slip fitting connection is the same as mine. I tried about 1/2 dozen different sealers trying to get the slip fit joint to stop leaking. None of the sealers would last more than a month or two before burning up or blowing out. I finally permanently fixed the slip fit connection. I did it by welding a 1 inch long piece of stainless steel tubing (about 1/2 OD and 5/16 ID) perpendicular to the length of the sidepipe right at the connection to the header. I then cut a notch through the stainless tubing and the sidepipe. I then inserted a 1/4 bolt through the stainless steel tubing. After slipping the header and the sidepipe together, you can tighten down the nut and bolt effectively clamping and sealing the sidepipe to the header. I've got about 3000 miles on the car since making the change and it works great. No more popping and backfiring when I let off the gas.

Chris

ERA 626 09-19-2006 09:58 PM

Green ERA

I saw your car at Black Hawk on Saturday Nice Car!!! You should come to breakfast at Athens on Saturday mornings at 7am.

Gilby 09-20-2006 07:20 AM

Green Cobra

Mike,

Thanks for the invite. I think this Saturday I will be going to the Mini-Nats at Sears Point. But I will certainly join you in the near future.

Matt
ERA 669

chuckbrandt 09-21-2006 12:39 AM

Under car exhaust

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilby
Hi All,

The slip joints at the collecter where leaking badly, making a racket and a mess. I tried Walker Acusti-Seal (what a mess). I figure the DynoMax mufflers may be so restrictive that the backpressure is contributing to the general leakyness. So now I have installed an original set of Cobra exhaust manifolds but this seems to have taken away a bit of power. Any ideas on a leak free header and free flowing muffler combo? I do wan't to stay with the 2" pipes out the back.

Gilby

Hi Matt and Welcome!

I have the ERA undercar exhaust on my car too and am thinking about how to improve upon it. The issue is we need a fairly narrow muffler. I'd like to run 2 1/2" all the way. My current best bet for muffler are these, Flowmaster Hushpower IIs. They are only 5 1/2" wide.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=2646

Then either dump before the rear tires, or "ovalized" 2 1/2" in a mandrel bent horse shoe over the rear suspension. If I can get someone to squish it down to 2" wide past the tires I can have 2 1/2" tail pipes. I'd like to retain tail pipes too but I think 2 1/2" would look okay.

I have the added challenge of having the ERA suspension, the top link of which currently hits my pipes.

I had the best intentions of working on this before our club's dyno day this fall, but I'm having too much fun driving the car and have not gotten to it. Maybe this winter.

Please keep me posted on what you are doing on this issue.

Chuck Brandt

chuckbrandt 09-21-2006 12:48 AM

Could you post a picture?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ428CJ
Gilby,

I have an ERA with sidepipes so I'm not sure if your slip fitting connection is the same as mine. I tried about 1/2 dozen different sealers trying to get the slip fit joint to stop leaking. None of the sealers would last more than a month or two before burning up or blowing out. I finally permanently fixed the slip fit connection. I did it by welding a 1 inch long piece of stainless steel tubing (about 1/2 OD and 5/16 ID) perpendicular to the length of the sidepipe right at the connection to the header. I then cut a notch through the stainless tubing and the sidepipe. I then inserted a 1/4 bolt through the stainless steel tubing. After slipping the header and the sidepipe together, you can tighten down the nut and bolt effectively clamping and sealing the sidepipe to the header. I've got about 3000 miles on the car since making the change and it works great. No more popping and backfiring when I let off the gas.

Chris

Hey Chris, any chance you could post a picture? Your solution sounds interesting and it might be applicable to us undercar guys. Our header tubes are just like on the side pipe setup, we just have a collector and a quick turn under the car.

Thanks, Chuck

http://www.chuckbrandt.com/engine1.jpg

CJ428CJ 09-21-2006 10:35 AM

Chuck,

I'll take some photos and post them but it probably won't be until next week since I recently broke my digital camera. I ordered a new one. Hopefully it'll arrive around the middle of next week.

Chris

Gilby 09-21-2006 09:36 PM

undercar

Chuck,

Thanks, the Flowmasters are a great suggestion. I am going to attempt some kind of muffler swap in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know what I end up doing. After that I may look into having Sanderson make up a set of Tri Y's. Has anyone else done this? I wonder If there is enough room in the back left? Something tells me the steering will also complicate things.

Gilby

CJ428CJ 10-05-2006 06:55 PM

Chuck,

I finally got around to taking that photo of my slip fit exhaust leak fix. Here you go:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...092_Small_.JPG

chuckbrandt 10-06-2006 03:00 AM

CJ -

Thanks for the picture. I see now. It looks like a great solution that would be very effective. I may try it if I rework mine.

Good work.

CDB

Naumoff 10-06-2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ428CJ
Gilby,

You can buy retro California plates here: http://www.licenseplates.tv/ Not sure if they're really legal but I have seen the old black and yellow style vanity plates on Cobras.

Chris

I have plates from them and MD registered them as legal tags. California is different as the tag stays with the vehicle so I don't know if you can register vintage tags on historic vehicles there. The plates are high quality from License Plates company. They would be great for shows even if you couldn't register them.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...ol_18_Sept.jpg

imagine2frolic 11-24-2006 09:19 AM

I have been in the muffler business for 30 years. Most of it in the Bay Area, and Sanderson headers is a good place to ask questions. I have installed several of their header type manifolds with great luck. Once you find what you want mounted to the head. A good muffler shop can fabricate anything for you. Be sure to ask for some pics of his work though. Everybody claims they are good, but few really qualify. One good place to inquire is at San Bruno Mufflers near SFO...ask for Ted, he's a grumpy old fart, but his work is clean. You would be amazed the size of pipe that can fit in a tight spot when it is done correct

FUNFER2 11-24-2006 12:03 PM

Gilby- do you have pics of your tires ?

Gilby 11-26-2006 10:11 PM

Kevin,

I will take it out for some new digital pics this comming weekend. Weather permitting.

Gilby

decooney 11-26-2006 11:05 PM

Hello Matt

Hey Matt,

When you get a chance, send me your email. Peter gave me your phone contact info, but I thought I'd send out a shout here. i.e. You parked your car next to my Silver ERA at Infineon at the Mini Nats recently. I need to chat with you about the ERA Automobiles vendor booth at WSCB in May, and possibly including your car. There is an FIA, 2-3 427 SCs, and 428 street car with your name on it slated for the ERA booth with kind support from Peter P of course. Working on putting ERA 623 (DC), 624, 625, 626 (Mike L.), 669 (Matt) +FIA (Ron C) in the booth for ERA...;or something like this.

Let me know, you can just send a PM here on ClubCobra. By the way, here is a pic of your car I snapped at Mini Nats that Day. :3DSMILE:

Duane

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...A669Street.jpg

Traveller 11-28-2006 03:02 PM

I have jet hot coated sanderson headers on my ERA street car.

I'm interested in selling them along with (or without) the entire exhaust system if you're interested.

I'm going with sidepies if life will allow me the time to do the work :)

kmarccoco 11-28-2006 05:39 PM

vintage plates

hi gilby. the rosevlle flea market has a vendor there that sells old plates, he even has old month and year tags left over from real dmv stock. i have a vintage copy plate on mine that i bought off of the "bullitt" mustang web site when i had one. i threw the tags on it. looks pretty cool. you can see them in my pictures.

if you want i can pick a pair, or one, up for you, and some stickers. you then could pick them up from me where i work in martinez. just let me know...... ken

Gilby 12-04-2006 09:24 AM

Traveller,

You have a PM

Gilby

Traveller 12-04-2006 12:41 PM

Back at ya Gilby

Gilby 12-12-2006 08:19 AM

Are those custom or are they a stock item and hows the clearance on the drivers side around the footbox and steering?