Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     
Default Starting/running....

Hi Bob,

Well, ERA-722 is alive but doesn't keep breathing. I've got it to start but as soon as you release the key to disengage starter and continue running it just shuts off. I spoke to Peter P. today to see if he had any idea and he said to check the starter switch wiring. I did and it's wired according to the instructions.

Also, the high beam switch on the turn signal stalk doesn't work or something doesn't work to change from high to low beam. Any idea where to start looking to fix that?

I’ve also managed to somehow wire the amp meter backwards. When it’s drawing it goes to positive and when it fires for that second it goes to negative. Is just swapping the leads good to fix that?

I'm not an electrical guy but I'll do my best to understand.

Thanks!
Frank Johnson
ERA-722
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

Do you know how to use a volt meter?
Even though the wire may be located in the right place, it does not mean that the voltage is there. A VOM (Volt/Ohm Meter) is indispensible in diagnosing eletrical problems. Your High beam problem could be a wrong wire, loose wire, bad switch, blown fuse etc. Again, a VOM would be most helpful. The Ammeter might be wired backwards. Seems to be, but I would verify the wiring as well. If it is wired backwards, which end? at the meter or where you pick up the Voltage. Let's say you reverse the wires at the meter and all works well and actually you had reverse-wired the other wire ends, you'll have a case of 2 wrongs making a right, until you have to trouble shoot it later or worse, the guy you sell it to and didn't tell because you didn't know.
If you're going to work on these kinds of cars, not trying to sound harsh here, you either need to learn some electrical basics or know someone who does.
I'll certainly help if I can.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Check your ballast resistor...thirty-five years ago I had the same problem with my '59 Ford Galaxie. When I called my dad, he said to make sure the resistor wire was connected. That was the problem.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard
Do you know how to use a volt meter?
Even though the wire may be located in the right place, it does not mean that the voltage is there. A VOM (Volt/Ohm Meter) is indispensible in diagnosing eletrical problems. Your High beam problem could be a wrong wire, loose wire, bad switch, blown fuse etc. Again, a VOM would be most helpful. The Ammeter might be wired backwards. Seems to be, but I would verify the wiring as well. If it is wired backwards, which end? at the meter or where you pick up the Voltage. Let's say you reverse the wires at the meter and all works well and actually you had reverse-wired the other wire ends, you'll have a case of 2 wrongs making a right, until you have to trouble shoot it later or worse, the guy you sell it to and didn't tell because you didn't know.
If you're going to work on these kinds of cars, not trying to sound harsh here, you either need to learn some electrical basics or know someone who does.
I'll certainly help if I can.
You're kidding right? I put myself through college as an auto mechanic. Today was the first day we put the juice to the car. No blown fuses and I know the amp meter is backwards. ERA had some issues with the light relay in the past... more or less I was wondering if I happened to get one of those... My question was to Bob to see if he knew of others with similar problems. Voltmeter? What's that? I have to say that the ERA wiring harness is impeccable to say the least. Those guys did their homework. This had to be the easiest wiring of a car I’ve ever done… perhaps, too easy, which caused me to screw up something. Or not.

Last edited by FrankJohnson69; 10-22-2006 at 07:43 PM..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX
Check your ballast resistor...thirty-five years ago I had the same problem with my '59 Ford Galaxie. When I called my dad, he said to make sure the resistor wire was connected. That was the problem.
Sounds like as good a place to start as any. I'll look into it and see if that helps. So close and so far.

Thanks!
Frank
Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Frank you have PM

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-23-2006, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJohnson69
Hi Bob,

Well, ERA-722 is alive but doesn't keep breathing. I've got it to start but as soon as you release the key to disengage starter and continue running it just shuts off. I spoke to Peter P. today to see if he had any idea and he said to check the starter switch wiring. I did and it's wired according to the instructions.

Also, the high beam switch on the turn signal stalk doesn't work or something doesn't work to change from high to low beam. Any idea where to start looking to fix that?

I’ve also managed to somehow wire the amp meter backwards. When it’s drawing it goes to positive and when it fires for that second it goes to negative. Is just swapping the leads good to fix that?

ERA-722
Easiest thing first. Just reverse the leads to the ammeter.

What kind of ignition system are you using? If you are using the ballast resistor, check the voltage at the side of the resistor with two wires. You will have 8V with the ignition on and 12V when cranking (theoretically...).

Does your flasher relay have a plastic case? If so, there were a pile of defective ones which I will replace.

Our Troubleshooting Guide has some more hints too.

Last edited by strictlypersonl; 10-23-2006 at 04:39 AM..
Old 10-23-2006, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

Frank,
If I sounded critical, I certainly did not mean to be. There are so many different levels of expertise here, it's hard to know where to start with someone. You made two statements which I was trying to respond to.

1. "Is just swapping the leads good to fix that?"
and
2. "I'm not an electrical guy but I'll do my best to understand."

Re #1. You said in a later post that you were working from a wiring harness which may have been apparent to Bob but not the rest of us, so reversing the wires is probably the best solution on the ammeter.

Re #2. Hooking up wires according to a wiring diagram or labeled or color coded leads is one thing that most can do. Understanding the circuits is another and we all have different levels of expertise. Knowing that level is hard to ascertain from 1 post but you did say what you said.

If I came across as talking down to you, that was definitely not my intent and I apologize for not choosing clearer language; just trying to be helpful.

Good luck with your build.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I'm happy to report that ERA-722 is ALIVE!!! Given the info you all (yes Mr. Wizzard you too) have given me for which I am grateful it took me about 30 minutes to track the problem down. In a nutshell I called my engine builder Precision Machine (Mike Norris) to give me the help with the MSD-6AL. And that since I wasn't running a ballast resister due to this I remembered that there was a place on the ERA wiring for a ballast resister. But the instructions clearly state... if you're running the MSD you need to splice these two wires together. Well... being a moron I glanced over that part of the instructions during the wiring phase of the project but the nagging in the back of my head said to check... That was it.

I actually got to drive this beast around the block a few times. This thing is a monster.

Thanks to all!

Frank
ERA-722