Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     
Default ERA at WSCB, What will you have there?

I noticed that Western States Cobra Bash is announcing that ERA will be there this year. I was wondering, Who was going and what you were bringing with you? I am interested in ERA's cobra and have only seen 2 so far. I also am thinking about planning a trip from out west to CT to check everything out first hand. Any thoughts from other owners appreciated.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

GF,

Talk to Duane Cooney "decooney". He is the WSCB president and is also heading up the ERA booth. There will be a good number of ERA cars there this year, including the FIA car.

Good choice and see you soon,

John
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If you live in the west come to the Western States Cobra Bash first then go to CT to visit ERA. You will see lots of ERA cars (over 12 registered so far) at the Bash both old (mine second one built) and new. You will also be able to see a lot of other brands. Everyone will be happy to give you a ride and a few might even let you drive their cars.

See ya at the WSCB

Dick
Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Checking out the shop is the best way to get familiar with the company and what goes into building their cars. If you go during the week their happy to introduce you to everybody there and answer any and all questions. I was just up there last week and there were over a dozen cars (including 4 or 5 FIA's) in various stages of completion from one still in the frame jig to a Peter's completed 427.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default C'mon out and join us.

Godfather,
If you can wait until May 17th, and can get to Sparks Nevada, you'll have a chance to see a nice variation of ERAs - FIAs, 427s, and variations of colors/themes of these; more ERA knowledge in one place about these cars than you'll be able to consume in one sitting. And, you'll be able to compare side by side to at least 35 different makes of other type Cobra replicas that started back in the 80s.

Here is my first official quote for the ERA booth at WSCB. "It's not a matter of buying an ERA or not, the real decision is more about deciding on an FIA or 427SC or 427 Street version and what color to paint it!"

So there you have it. C'mon out, but be prepared to get your deposit ready once you see the cars. We plan to have paperwork from ERA there.

Spectators are FREE.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like a visit to the shop may be worth the trip. If nothing else to get buy in from the wife. Anyone else made the trip from a distance that required travel plans and co-ordinating with era? Anyone from The CT area have some suggestions of places to see or things to do while visiting. The chance to see the cars will be enough for me , but I should allow a little time for my wife to do something too.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     

I sure wish I lived closer, I'd love to bring my ERA to the WSCB. This is my second ERA and I've been very happy with both.
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Sounds like a visit to the shop may be worth the trip. If nothing else to get buy in from the wife. Anyone else made the trip from a distance that required travel plans and co-ordinating with era? Anyone from The CT area have some suggestions of places to see or things to do while visiting. The chance to see the cars will be enough for me , but I should allow a little time for my wife to do something too.
I was living in CA when I first went up to ERA. Suggest flying into Hartford. I think it was about 30-40 minutes north of ERA. Boston and JFK are a pain and they're about 2 hours drive away. There a bunch of nice B&B's in the area to stay at. Don't have a clue what to suggest to interest your wife. but Peter P says the aviation museum at the Hartford airport is a good one and the submarine museum in Groton, CT is worth the drive south.

Peter Portante would be the one you want to coordinate your trip with. He might even have some suggestions of things you and your wife could enjoy in the area. You can always check one of the AAA guides for CT. If your not a member, shoot me an email and I could scan in some pages from the guide and email them to you when you're ready to plan your trip.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Warren, I'll check out those museums. I also sent you an email.
Dan
Old 02-12-2007, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Dan,

I live in California and visited ERA before buying my kit. I will also be exhibiting my car at WSCB. If you have a couple of extra days to spend, I suggest flying into Islip airport which is on Long Island, New York. You can also fly into LaGuardia. Spend a couple days on Long Island and/or New York City. Then for the trip up to ERA take the automobile ferry from Long Island. It's a relatively short ferry ride (45 minutes?) followed by a drive of maybe an hour or so (it's been a while though so my estimates may be a bit off).

Chris
Old 02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I too live in CA and to be honest the trip to ERA is what really sold the car for me. The people there Peter P.& Doug among others are great people. I showed up un announced and they welcomed me like family. Needless to say I wrote them a check that day. I will be showing my ERA #626 in the ERA booth this year along side of Chris & Duane. Give ERA a visit and you will be happy.
See you there,
Mike
Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626
I too live in CA and to be honest the trip to ERA is what really sold the car for me. The people there Peter P.& Doug among others are great people. I showed up un announced and they welcomed me like family. Needless to say I wrote them a check that day. I will be showing my ERA #626 in the ERA booth this year along side of Chris & Duane. Give ERA a visit and you will be happy.
See you there,
Mike
Ditto what Mike said. The trip I made up there with my wife last year she flew out here to MD and we drove up. Went up to Lime Rock for the Skip Barber driving school after visiting ERA. I took the 3-day race class and she took the 2-driving class. She had such a good time, she wanted to go again. Planning to do the 2-day HiPo driving class the next time.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Godfather - Where you go all depends upon time of year you visit.

Some good all year round visiting spots.

Mystic / Groton Ct.
Lime Rock - as mentioned
New York City (2+ hours away)
Newport RI (2+ hours away)
Downtown Hartford (15 minutes away and 5 minutes worth of viewing)
Gambling at Mohegan Sun or Foxwoods

There are actually a number of decent museums in the Hartford area.

Airports:
- Hartford is the closest (30 minutes away)
- Westchester 1.5 hours away
- Islip (if you are coming in the summer)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

GF:

There is NOTHING to see in New Britain, CT. other than ERA. ...and taking the wife along to "close" the deal could go either way. Does she understand that dealing with Peter is like dealing with a geriatric 12 year old? He and his son (due to turn 11 at the end of the month) are growing up together. You must ask him about the remote control helicopter that disappeared over the horizon while he and his son fought for possessio of the controls...

Remember, the "journey" is half the fun. I've been enjoying traveling with ERA for the past 21 years... and plan to continue as long as they are around.

Jim
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden
GF:

Does she understand that dealing with Peter is like dealing with a geriatric 12 year old? He and his son (due to turn 11 at the end of the month) are growing up together.

Jim
Isn't that kind of like the "pot calling the kettle black?"

BTW how is your bell housing? I hear that the entire project of putting the new engine in you FIA had to come to screaching halt because the bell housing got scratched and you're having difficulty finding a color match for it!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Duplicate post. Sorry.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 02-13-2007 at 02:24 PM..
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now, Warren, clearly you have dealt with Peter in the past. Do I misspeak? You must acknowledge; truth is a complete defense...

Jim

PS: And whatever you do don't let him know that I wouldn't have it any other way.

As to the bellhousing... in order to get the trans out, we had to jack up the rear of the motor. It hit the bottom of the aluminum firewall which took a chunk out of the paint. Peter did his usual operatic, arm waving, over the top tarantella around the garage when I said that I didn't want it to go back in damaged... until he finally acknowledged that he wouldn't have put it back in that way either.

Did he tell you about the flood of antifreeze and oil that went everywhere when he missed the pan. As he will tell you his aim isn't any good. When he was at target practice while in boot camp in the middle of the last century, he shot over the target and then punched some holes in the bulls eye with a pencil when he went to retrieve it.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, Thanks for warning me of Peter's aim problem. I'll remember not to use the urinal next to him in the future.

Dan,
I also found a listing for the Haight Vineyard and Winery in Litchfield, CT. Phone 9860) 567-4045. Don't know if the wine is any good, but heck after 3-4 glasses who will care? In the opposite corner of the state, the Mystic Aquarium and Institute for Exploration sounds interesting.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

THanks everyone for the suggestions.
Dan
Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden

Did he tell you about the flood of antifreeze and oil that went everywhere when he missed the pan. As he will tell you his aim isn't any good. When he was at target practice while in boot camp in the middle of the last century, he shot over the target and then punched some holes in the bulls eye with a pencil when he went to retrieve it.
Jim,
Peter called me this morning. He said that he would have had alot more success capturing the coolant in the pan if you not been parading around his garagewith a wine glass instead of helping him work on your car. BTW he's still wondering why after you left he was missing 2-3 sockets out of each of his socket sets! He did say that the steaks were great though.