Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     
Default What would you get?

I'm planning on putting a deposit in this week on an ERA 427, but am concerned about making sure I get all the "right" options. I'm looking to get a turn-key.

So tell me, what are your "must haves", "nice to have" and "why did I bother"

Also, what engine/trans combo did you go with and why?

Thanks for your input and thoughts!

Ray
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What are you looking to do with the car?

RAO-3 Ray Which body style? SC or FIA. Which every one you go with, the rear outboard brakes would be on the plus list. Big Block or Small Block. 4 spd, 5 spd or 6 spd trans. The rearend ratio is effected the trans. The fuel system is on the wish list, Webers are just plain cool. They have some nice stack Fuel injection systems that are just as sweet. If you go with a FI system, it is easier for ERA to install the fuel lines before the body is mated to the frame. Your tuffest choice is going to be color or colors. With or without strip. Here is the fun things, wheels and tires? Do you want the nasty look with pin drive wheels and billboard GY tires or wirewheels. Exhaust, choise of 3, sidepipes that clean the street driving down the road,( I have 2 sets, 1 street others race pipes) FIA exhaust with the pipes under the car and exit before the front of the ear wheels, or the complete under the car exhaust. Recomend the 12" front brakes for the car which ever one you go with. This should get you started on a List for the car. Good luck and welcome to the family of ERA. Rick Lake
Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
RAO-3 Ray Which body style? SC or FIA. Which every one you go with, the rear outboard brakes would be on the plus list. Big Block or Small Block. 4 spd, 5 spd or 6 spd trans. The rearend ratio is effected the trans. The fuel system is on the wish list, Webers are just plain cool. They have some nice stack Fuel injection systems that are just as sweet. If you go with a FI system, it is easier for ERA to install the fuel lines before the body is mated to the frame. Your tuffest choice is going to be color or colors. With or without strip. Here is the fun things, wheels and tires? Do you want the nasty look with pin drive wheels and billboard GY tires or wirewheels. Exhaust, choise of 3, sidepipes that clean the street driving down the road,( I have 2 sets, 1 street others race pipes) FIA exhaust with the pipes under the car and exit before the front of the ear wheels, or the complete under the car exhaust. Recomend the 12" front brakes for the car which ever one you go with. This should get you started on a List for the car. Good luck and welcome to the family of ERA. Rick Lake
I was originally thinking FIA, but now more SC.

Was definite on the outboard brakes, based upon what I've read here.

Was thinking 5 speed but again open to recommendations.

Would really love to get 427 side oiler but $$$$ may force going with 428. Appreciate thoughts on this.

Undecided on fuel system.

Think I have the colors picked out, or at least narrowed to two. Black without or dark blue with stripes.

Thinking more toward pin drive wheels.

Originally planned complete under car exhaust, but now sidepipes.

Again thoughts or comments appreciated!

Ray
Old 06-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you're already most of the way there. You seem to be deciding on exactly what you want. There aren't a lot of options that you've left to choose from. Personally, I'd opt for IRS.. It helps a lot....but them I'm in competition for the iron butt award. The 427/428 question is pretty much a moot argruement. $$ is the biggest difference if you don't intend on racing the car. The side oiler is more expensive going in, and a lot more expensive if you need to replace anything down the road. The HP difference is negligable if you're not racing. They both clean up and dress up nicely. Matter of fact, if it's done right, you'd have to be an expert to tell them apart. The fuel system depends on how original you want to be. Twin 600CFM holleys look great on a BBF motor. Even a single 700CFM Holley looks killer. If you're not interested in looking original then go with FI. It's a lot more efficient and you'll probably get better mileage. As to the color, for my money, nothing is as impressive as a black Cobra with those little tiny chrome bumpers front and rear.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 06-08-2008 at 07:56 AM..
Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Sounds like you're already most of the way there. You seem to be deciding on exactly what you want. There aren't a lot of options that you've left to choose from. Personally, I'd opt for IRS.. It helps a lot....but them I'm in competition for the iron butt award. The 427/428 question is pretty much a moot argruement. $$ is the biggest difference if you don't intend on racing the car. The side oiler is more expensive going in, and a lot more expensive if you need to replace anything down the road. The HP difference is negligable if you're not racing. They both clean up and dress up nicely. Matter of fact, if it's done right, you'd have to be an expert to tell them apart. The fuel system depends on how original you want to be. Twin 600CFM holleys look great on a BBF motor. Even a single 700CFM Holley looks killer. If you're not interested in looking original then go with FI. It's a lot more efficient and you'll probably get better mileage. As to the color, for my money, nothing is as impressive as a black Cobra with those little tiny chrome bumpers front and rear.
Dan, thanks for the tips. No I don't intend on racing, so maybe the 428 is the better choice.

had originally planned on black, but when I saw the dark blue with silver stripes, things began to get difficult. I do love the chrome bumpers.

Here's a pic from the Washington's Crossing meet yesterday:

I really loved this car!

Okay on the IRS.

Torn on the fuel system; have a special place in my heart for the carbs, as that's what I grew up with.

Any other thoughts on the laundry list?

Ray
Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
.........Personally, I'd opt for IRS.. It helps a lot....
Danr55,

I could be wrong on this, but in looking at the ERA specs, from what I see, both the standard and optional ERA suspensions are IRS. I don't have a car, but am considering their 289 FIA car. It seems like they offer the same rear suspension setup for both cars. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Tim B.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You'll want these. I got them all and I'm glad I did. The only option that you probably don't want is wool carpeting -- it will smell if it gets wet, and moths will eat it. Do get the leather, of course. I won't list anything on the engine or trans., but here's some thoughts on the other stuff:

Outboard braked rear -- this will require an upgrade to the fronts as well. If you're driving mostly on the street you'll want to Doug to use the softer Hawk pads up front otherwise the squeal will annoy you. The avoided nuisance of having to screw with inboard Jag brakes is worth the extra grand or so that it costs.

Quick Release Steering Hub -- not only does it let you adjust the steering wheel, it also makes it easier working under the dash should you need to do that, and eventually you will. Plus, you can really scare the s--- out of your passengers by pulling it off whilst driving and then screaming at the top of your lungs while you hold the wheel out in feigned terror.

Pin Drives -- this is not even up for discussion. Request the stainless steel spinners as well.

Front & Rear Sway Bars -- These do not cost much and provide a worthwhile improvement for your handling.

Original Style Brake Reservoirs -- I love the way they look, but tell Doug not to use the pinch clamps on the rubber hoses. One of mine started leaking, and when I replaced that one, the other five joined in.

Pusher Fans, HD radiator fan, and extra wheel-well venting. You'd be surprised at the heat an FE throws off. Speaking of that, get a heater.

Tripod Lights -- they go with the theme that you set with the reservoirs.

Smiths Gauges -- Coolness factor, and they're reasonably accurate. Passengers always like it when I have to rap my knuckles on one of my Smiths before it will start to work. You know, just like the old WWII bomber movies.

Soft Top & Side Curtains -- You want this done; you don't want to have to do it yourself.

Metal Reflectors -- these things go in the trunk around your brake and tail lights to prevent towels and paper from catching on fire on the hot bulbs.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

TKB, I'm not familiar with ERA cars. I don't know what options they offer. I was commenting strictly from the point of what I like vs. what else I know is out there.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You'll want these. I got them all and I'm glad I did. The only option that you probably don't want is wool carpeting -- it will smell if it gets wet, and moths will eat it. Do get the leather, of course. I won't list anything on the engine or trans., but here's some thoughts on the other stuff:

Outboard braked rear -- this will require an upgrade to the fronts as well. If you're driving mostly on the street you'll want to Doug to use the softer Hawk pads up front otherwise the squeal will annoy you. The avoided nuisance of having to screw with inboard Jag brakes is worth the extra grand or so that it costs.

Quick Release Steering Hub -- not only does it let you adjust the steering wheel, it also makes it easier working under the dash should you need to do that, and eventually you will. Plus, you can really scare the s--- out of your passengers by pulling it off whilst driving and then screaming at the top of your lungs while you hold the wheel out in feigned terror.

Pin Drives -- this is not even up for discussion. Request the stainless steel spinners as well.

Front & Rear Sway Bars -- These do not cost much and provide a worthwhile improvement for your handling.

Original Style Brake Reservoirs -- I love the way they look, but tell Doug not to use the pinch clamps on the rubber hoses. One of mine started leaking, and when I replaced that one, the other five joined in.

Pusher Fans, HD radiator fan, and extra wheel-well venting. You'd be surprised at the heat an FE throws off. Speaking of that, get a heater.

Tripod Lights -- they go with the theme that you set with the reservoirs.

Smiths Gauges -- Coolness factor, and they're reasonably accurate. Passengers always like it when I have to rap my knuckles on one of my Smiths before it will start to work. You know, just like the old WWII bomber movies.

Soft Top & Side Curtains -- You want this done; you don't want to have to do it yourself.

Metal Reflectors -- these things go in the trunk around your brake and tail lights to prevent towels and paper from catching on fire on the hot bulbs.

Hope this helps.

Excellent tips and just what I was looking for! Thank you so very much for the help!

Ray
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
TKB, I'm not familiar with ERA cars. I don't know what options they offer. I was commenting strictly from the point of what I like vs. what else I know is out there.
Danr55,

Thanks. Just trying to learn more about Cobras before I take the plunge myself.

Tim B.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

ERA has two distinct rear suspension offerings - both are Jag based IRS with positraction. The "standard" rear is the Jag rear with inboard brakes. More problematic to change pads and don't get cooled as efficiently. ERA then offers their custom racing rear suspension in which oversized brakes are mounted outboard, and all components are mounted in an aluminum sub frame. An absolute work of art. You will generally combine this option with oversized front brakes as well.

I recommend the 5 speed transmission, go with either a 5 speed Tremec TKO 600 or check out the new Richmond Gear Street Strip 5 speed. The Tremec has either a .64 or a .82 OD 5th gear, and the Richmond Gear offers a very nice compromise between these two - something like a .73. The Tremec .64 is great for the 85 mph turnpike driving, but not used very effectively for 60 mph and under driving.

The 427 street seats that ERA builds are the finest in the business, and comfortable. Once you have the ERA rear suspension, street seats, and a good 5 speed transmission, it then becomes motor and stripes or no stripes!! I went with 5 pin knock off wheels from Vintage (in the event I want to get a set of racing tires I can take off the adapters and use bolt ons for track). I have a 289 FIA car and the side exhausts are actually under the car and exit in front of the rear wheels. I had another brand for 2 years and then upgraded to the ERA. Great engineering, great people, tremendous quality.
Have fun and congratulations.

Rick
Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
I'm planning on putting a deposit in this week ...
Ray
RAO-3,

Thanks for starting this thread ... I have some of the very same questions myself about the ERA 289 FIA car. It's great to get information from guys that have made the hard choices and the reasons why they went the way they did. Congratulations on getting ready to put down a deposit, hope to do the same in the future.

Tim B.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
The Tremec has either a .64 or a .82 OD 5th gear....The Tremec .64 is great for the 85 mph turnpike driving, but not used very effectively for 60 mph and under driving.
A search on this issue will show about a 3 to 1 preference for the .82 gear. BUT, I will tell you that if you have a 3.54 or numerically higher rear, and an FE that has some manners in the 2000-2200 range (not meaning that's its power range, rather it will just run without hiccuping at that speed) then having the .64 is a joy. I can cruise at 70MPH doing 2000RPM and actually have a conversation with my passenger. In fact, the wind noise is louder than the pipes. That's all 5th is good for, although my other four gears take me happily to 140.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Timb. If you have any "289 specific" questions, I would be happy to discuss them with you. Send me a pm or an email. I had a previous car, a Unique 289 FIA that I bought used, and had the opportunity to drive an ERA and visit the factory. I sold my Unique and bought a brand new turn key ERA 289 FIA. The car is a genuine jewell. Have fun!!! Rick
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
Timb. If you have any "289 specific" questions, I would be happy to discuss them with you. Send me a pm or an email. I had a previous car, a Unique 289 FIA that I bought used, and had the opportunity to drive an ERA and visit the factory. I sold my Unique and bought a brand new turn key ERA 289 FIA. The car is a genuine jewell. Have fun!!! Rick

Rick,

Thanks! Great idea ... sending an email.

- Tim B.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

On the ERA cars, anything but the inboard brakes, you cant get in there to do anything with them on the inboard.

ERA has a good build quality, you will be happy with their product.

Pin Drive wheels are mandatory in my opinion, bolt ons would drop vehicle value in case of resale.

Tremec 5 speed trans is the way to go, as my freinds ERA has a toploader and 70mph is 3300 RPM with a FE side oiler.

Have you considered a Windsor based stroked motor >?

--oh I forgot --get the SIERRA front calipers!!!

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Have you considered a Windsor based stroked motor >?

Of course if you're going with a 427, settle for nothing less than an FE. BTW, Peter had my pipes specially made to be "not as loud." They're just the way I like them. Some of the fellas have pipes that literally hurt my head when I hear them. It took a few horses off the table, but I can't hit WOT very often anyway, even with the 450HP that I have now (and around this forum, 450 is a "wimp" car).
Old 06-08-2008, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Depending on where you live, wipers may be required by law, so check into that early on. Drivetrain wise, there are some very economical 390's available that can be dressed just like a 427 or 428, and you still get the "FE" sound and torque. Transmission wise, I wanted a 5 speed but don't really like the way TKO's shift and there have been some scattered reliability issues. I got a G-Force T-5. This is 25 lb lighter than the TKO, has less drivetrain loss, is good for 600 ft/lbs, and you have a choice of 5th gear ratios. I have a .75 OD and will have a 3.54 rear, which I thought was a good all around compromise for highway, normal street driving and some track use. Also reccomend the Quicktime bellhousing- it saves the cutting on the Lakewood, weighs less and is a pretty accurate piece.

One other thing I did was I had stainless steel hard brake lines made and had ERA install them.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not legal in your state

RAO-3 The quick release in not legal in the state you live in. You could add it to the car after you go through the state inspection of the car. If you are running side pipes, ERA has covers for them to pervent burnt pants and legs. You will have to check on this for your state also. Rick Lake
Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
RAO-3 The quick release in not legal in the state you live in. You could add it to the car after you go through the state inspection of the car.
Go ahead and get the QR hub now, just carefully wrap the column with black duct tape and the inspector will never spot the finger holes for the quick release. If you ceramic coat your side pipes your leg burns won't be as bad. I had a mental lapse yesterday and got out of my car (wearing shorts) after a hard ride and sizzled the inside of my left ankle. But after lubing it up good with aloe I think I'm gonna keep most of the skin -- the burn is the size of a fifty cent piece. If I didn't have the ceramic coating it would have been much worse. You keep telling yourself, "Next time I'm going to remember not to do that..." but sooner or later you always forget.