Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     
Default Got my chassis # from Peter

I spoke to Peter Friday and I was awarded chassis #758. He says it will go in the jig in about a week and towards the end of October it should be back from powder coating. At that time, I go visit my new baby and make some of the final option selections. It finally feels like progress!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Congrats! Getting the chassis number is a big deal. As for the options, go big or stay home!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin
As for the options, go big or stay home!
Chaplin's right. Unless you're taking food off the table, go high-end on the options. You won't regret it and, if you don't, you'll wish you had.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'll drink to that (my coffee in front of me). All options bought now will be fitted & mounted by ERA. If you wait 'till later, you're kinda on your own. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

The one option I highly recommend is the ERA custom rear suspension with outboard brakes. It is a beautiful piece to look at, comes with larger racing brakes, cools better being outboard, and makes maintenance a lot easier. I'm hoping that my suspension is being installed in October (isn't that right Bob? Peter?). Enjoy. Rickd
Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Guys .... got my chassis number from Peter a while back and the chassis was supposed to be back at ERA last week .... I hope ! Anyway , I second everything said about the options ... do it now . I called Peter last week and upgraded to the ERA rear and big front brakes ... after all , an all aluminum 484 big block needs to be able to stop as well .
My current ride is a fully restored 63 1/2 Galaxie 427 , 4 speed close ratio toploader , dual quad , 3.89 LS rear .... but 4100 lbs !!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Definitely getting the optional rear suspension plus:

Steering column
Steering rack
leather
pin drive
wipers
front coil overs
sway bars
glove box W/ SC dash
rectangular tail lights
trunk mtd battery
E brake and handle

I'm also going to get the fuel tank with a return port in case I ever want to go fuel injection. I'm sure there are a few other items I forgot, which when my chassis gets back from the powder coater I want to sit with Peter.

Now if I could just make up my mind on color...
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Remember the w/s washers and Smiths gauges.

Red with no stripe.

Get a receipt for your deposit. (Kidding!)

Pat
Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

I would also recommend the quick release steering hub. It makes getting in and out of the car so much easier and it gives me a little more secure feeling knowing that the car doesn't have a steering wheel when I can't keep an eye on it.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     
Default Chassis 758 and 757

This may seem like a dumb comment ... but I didn`t see the heater/defroster on your list of options . I might get away with that here in SC , but NY ??
I looked up my chassis number last night ... looks like I have # 757 , which is supposed to be back from the powdercoaters last week ??
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am leaning toward not getting the heater/defroster. Having been in a few of these it seems there is plenty of warm air coming into the cockpit. If I get it, it would be for the defroster.

Peter told me they had a chassis on the jig but I think that was a FIA, so it could be that yours is in transit from the powder coater. Then again I have heard of chassis numbers changing before they actually get built .
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG
I would also recommend the quick release steering hub. It makes getting in and out of the car so much easier and it gives me a little more secure feeling knowing that the car doesn't have a steering wheel when I can't keep an eye on it.
I always second Warren's recommendation on the hub, but for a different reason (although his reasons are good ones). If you are like me, you just might want to have your steering wheel canted in one direction or the other (as opposed to plum straight) so that you can see your dash gauges better. Having the hub makes adjusting your steering wheel pretty darn easy. Regarding the heater/defroster, I love mine -- even with a big FE under the hood. It will make Fall and early Spring driving much more enjoyable and with a shut off valve on the manifold it adds no additional heat during the warm months.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

I would add the heater/defroster without a second thought.

Where you live you will want to have the option of taking drives on brisk fall mornings. As much heat as the engine gives off you will want to add insulation to the firewall to keep that heat out for hotter summer days.

Some of the most enjoyable rides, especially where you live, are early morning ones to Lime Rock and such. When the temp is around 55 you will want the heater blowing.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A Small Option

Here's a smaller option, but it's one of my favorites (they're actually pretty bright, too).

Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK- you may have convinced me on the defroster. I love cool mornings up here in the fall and we have some great roads for scenic autumn touring.

I'm pretty familiar with the quick release steering wheels- the race cars always had them and you couldn't get in or out with them in place and those were only about 10" across.

On the headlights- are they brighter than normal hi/lo beam and is there a DOT issue with them?

And a quick exhaust question- I was thinking about getting the primary pipes from ERA and the sidepipe/collector from a CSX series car. I have seen the optional "high HP" version of this and it is a slightly larger diameter and is reasonable in exhasut note. I just don't know if they can work together since I believe the ERA footbox is longer than the CSX footbox. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Bob-
Couple of thoughts. First, definetely get the heater. It is great in the fall and winter and keeps you reasonably warm until the temps dip below 40 or so. Second, check the NY state regs, I'm not positive, but I think a defroster may be required for inspection.

As for the sidepipes, I'm not sure if other collectors from other cars will match up to ERA's primaries without serious modification to maybe both the primaries and the collectors, Bob P. can tell you for sure. As a compromise, if there are different mufflers you want to use, why not buy them and have ERA weld them into your sidepipes instead of using their standard muffler. They can make the sidepipes up with any muffler you want. I know, I now have 3 different sets of mufflers

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracerbob
On the headlights- are they brighter than normal hi/lo beam?
No, but I'm happy to report that they're about as bright as plain old three dollar sealed beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracerbob
...and is there a DOT issue with them?
Dunno. Virginia's pretty friendly on all of that, but if there were, I would just put the three dollar sealed beams in before any inspection.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA-722, Pure Street in BRG
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG
You mean there's a steering wheel with that car? I better go look.

Sent you an e-mail earlier Warren. Let me know if you want me to go look at it.

Frank

Oh yea... go all the way. You will not regret it.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Lucas PL 700

What is the Lucas PL 700 head lamp optional cost?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     
Default chassis #

xracerbob, just took delivery of my FIA last wed. #2119. I did not get the roller or finished product. I can tell you I received my car almost to the day of the 6 month delivery date stated.The gel coat was great, I almost hated to start sanding.
Bad news,the IFS rear end is on back order 2 months, could delay a finished product.

Anyone getting their cars shipped I can highly recommend Intercity, the were here early and kept informed when they got close. No complaints only raves.

In light of the crap that was going on regarding the deposit, of a poster in the past, I can honestly state that what was promised is what I got. On time and pretty.

Dennis