Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     
Default Drilling into painted fiberglass

I'm getting my car soon and there was a "mix up" at the factory (Peter!!!). I am building as close a clone as I can of his orginal csx car. Bottom line is I had requested holes be drilled into the proper position so I could install the street washer bottle and associated nipples to the right and left of the wiper arms. Well, that one slipped through the cracks, no big deal.

Anyone have an experience drilling into their car? A budy of mine has an ERA 289 and said he had to drill all his holes for the emblems and it was really no big deal.

I assume I do my measurements, use masking tape, drill a pilot hole to start and slowly make it bigger to fit the size of the hole I need.

John also told me that the area under the hole needs to be counter sunk so I can screw on the washer and nut that holds the nipple in place.

Anyone done this?

Last edited by 428street; 03-25-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

I did a number of holes in my Lonestar after painting, and pretty much the way you described "do my measurements, use masking tape, drill a pilot hole to start and slowly make it bigger to fit the size of the hole I need." Not that difficult, but as always, MEASURE 18 TIMES, DRILL ONCE!!

I didn't counter sink under ANY of my drilled holes, and would be wary of that. The fiberglass is not THAT thick, and I would be really nervous about judging the depth of the countersink!!!!!

If the nipple is short though, I guess you have no other options. Can you find nipples with longer threads perhaps?

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Agree with Glyn....and use new or very sharp bits. Pilot holes a must.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I spin the bits backwards, prevents the bit from lifting the gel coat.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 03-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

For me taping area big enough to prevent the dumb mistakes is a must. Final drill bit is run at high speed but very little pressure. Pilot hole, step up in sizes till close to final diameter. If final bit only has to increase hole by maybe 20% and is sharp, high speed but light pressure it will not grab a big bite.

Really no big deal, just measure twice.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

There are drill bits made especially for "Plastic". They have a sharper point (less included angle). Consequently less chance of chipping paint or damaging Fiberglass. Be sure any and all bits are VERY SHARP.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I did the same as GlynMeek. Turned out good.

Dust off your work area a lot.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
You can also use a counter sink bit before you drill the hole to cut away the gel and prevent it from lifting when you drill into it. This is a trick I learned from a guy that rigs custom boats.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Mask the area of the hole to be drilled, lay out your measurement and coat the pilot bit with silicone, drill slowly, then use a silicone spray and spray into the pilot hole, coat the next bit with silicone and make sure "All" your bits are sharp. I've used this method on my Cobra and various boats over the years.

Also pilot point bits work the best, IMO
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice...seems straight forward, measure three times, cut once. Use sharp bits...countersink possible gel coat.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
That is how I did itand it is almost as easy as drilling forward

Last edited by Ibr8k4vetts; 04-12-2008 at 10:44 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm going to ask a stupid ? but when you guys say spin the bit backwards I assume you mean in reverse correct?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

correct
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 148 Nightwatch Blue
Not Ranked     

Drilling into the fiberglass is done with a sharp drill bit and I like to start with a very small drill first, like a 1/16 then after you have verified that the hole is in the correct location you can move up to the desired size. If the hole is off alittle you can use a 1/8 inch drill to hog it out to the correct location the chase it with your desired drill size. If you need more information just give me a call

Ron

Last edited by Metal-morphous; 04-13-2008 at 09:23 AM..