Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Fred that is one sweet looking set-up!! Wish i knew back then what you learned me now Seems it was just last summer we met @ Kimballs or was is 2 ? Project came together quick.

Best of luck

Sal
Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Fred, was there any way to kind of test it out a little bit there at ERA? It sounds fantastic (I'm tempted to have one put on myself when my car heads back up there)
You might want to talk with Doug about this. I know that ERA has done EFI setups before but I'm probably on the edge as far as what they've done with Electronic Traction Control and so on.

Where's home for you? If you're close enough, you are welcome to come take a look at my car when its done. If you're interested in this, send me some private email.

- Fred

Last edited by fkemmerer; 05-01-2009 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Fred,

Wow, I bet you're not getting much sleep at this point, waiting for it to get to you.

Are you picking it up or having it shipped? If you're using a shipper, who are you using?

I too would take the week off to finish it - the engine is a looker, and I'm sure will perform for you as good as it looks.

What do you have to do as far as inspection/registration to get it on the road in NH?

All the best on getting your ride on the road!

Ray
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
Fred,

Wow, I bet you're not getting much sleep at this point, waiting for it to get to you.

Are you picking it up or having it shipped? If you're using a shipper, who are you using?

I too would take the week off to finish it - the engine is a looker, and I'm sure will perform for you as good as it looks.

What do you have to do as far as inspection/registration to get it on the road in NH?

All the best on getting your ride on the road!

Ray
Hi Ray,

ERA is going to delivery the car to me today. I am reasonably close to them so they are just going to trailer it up here.

Registration in NH seems like it will be pretty straight forward. Looks like the car will probably be be registered as a reconstructed vehicle. I'll need to get a safety inspection from a state trooper and then go through inspection.

If all goes well, I should be starting this process in a few weeks.

- Fred
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, York 351W (Work in Progress), 07 Shelby GT # 0767, 09 Shelby GT500, 09 Shelby GT500KR #440
Not Ranked     
Default NH Registration

Hi Fred,

Registration in NH seems like it will be pretty straight forward. Looks like the car will probably be be registered as a reconstructed vehicle. I'll need to get a safety inspection from a state trooper and then go through inspection.

I just went thru this yesterday so I can fill you in on what the process was like. I had called the DMV office to determine the process and they had a trooper call me. We made an appointment for him to come to the house to do the inspection and assign the VIN #. He required the bill of sales for the kit, the engine, and the transmission. Each of them needed to have the chassis/serial number listed. When he arrived, he then inspected the car, verified the chassis/serial numbers, and was able to issue the VIN #.

I had the choice of registering it as a 2008 or as a 1966 which is the model year for my kit. I choose to go with the 1966 so I could get an antigue plate in the future. I also had the choose of manufacturer of being Shelby or Ford. He originally put Shelby but after we checked the registration for the GT, it indicated Ford so he changed it to Ford. At least I won't have to worry about SAI knocking on my door to sue me.

Once the vin # was determined, I was able to take the paper down to the town office and was able to get it registered. It took a while as the 66 cobra is not listed in the old blue books but we finally got it straightened out and I had my new plates. All told, the whole process took no more than 1 hour.

Good luck with registering yours. I look forward to being able to see you at some of the events in the near future.

Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M2 View Post
Hi Fred,

I just went thru this yesterday so I can fill you in on what the process was like. I had called the DMV office to determine the process and they had a trooper call me. We made an appointment for him to come to the house to do the inspection and assign the VIN #. He required the bill of sales for the kit, the engine, and the transmission. Each of them needed to have the chassis/serial number listed. When he arrived, he then inspected the car, verified the chassis/serial numbers, and was able to issue the VIN #.

I had the choice of registering it as a 2008 or as a 1966 which is the model year for my kit. I choose to go with the 1966 so I could get an antigue plate in the future. I also had the choose of manufacturer of being Shelby or Ford. He originally put Shelby but after we checked the registration for the GT, it indicated Ford so he changed it to Ford. At least I won't have to worry about SAI knocking on my door to sue me.

Once the vin # was determined, I was able to take the paper down to the town office and was able to get it registered. It took a while as the 66 cobra is not listed in the old blue books but we finally got it straightened out and I had my new plates. All told, the whole process took no more than 1 hour.

Good luck with registering yours. I look forward to being able to see you at some of the events in the near future.

Mike
Thanks so much Mike - I really appreciate the information.

- Fred
Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well ERA #753 is finally in my garage! Here is a picture of the car. Apparently ERA is having trouble getting pin drive wheels which is why my car was delivered with the front wheels only. Hopefully the rear rims will be here soon.

Now all I gotta do is to get these two together!

- Fred
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Fred,
The issue with the pin drive wheels seems to be an ongoing one. I bought the Trigo wheels in Dec05/Jan06 when nobody seemed to be able to get PS pin drives. Pretty much throughout 06 and 07, everybody I knew was having trouble getting the Trigo wheels and at times the PS wheels. Must be the way they do their production runs. Don't personally know anybody who has used the Vintage wheels so not sure how easy it is to get hold of those.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

A really nice (and sophisticated) high-end build. I suppose if you're going to take the time and expense to have an ERA built, this example is a first class way to go.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 07-26-2008 at 07:08 AM..
Old 07-25-2008, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

I had no problems obtaining Vintage wheels last Christmas.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Progress on ERA 753 continues. We were delayed somewhat by transmission modifications for the installation of a McLeod dual-disc clutch. We had to take the input shaft carrier off the transmission and have it shortened by a machinist to account for the higher pressure plate dimension on the dual disc clutch that I'm using. Those changes were completed yesterday and we installed the engine and transmission in the car last night. The FE engine was a tight fit going into the car. I got around this by removing the bell housing and all of the accessories (alternator, water pump, pulley, etc. in the front on the engine. Here's a picture of the engine going into the car.

Once the motor was in the car, there is a reasonable amount of clearance all around (although installation of the driver's side headers will be tight).

Here's a picture of the engine after the installation was completed. Note that we had to remove two sets of the injector stacks to create clearance for the engine hoist chains.

ERA's design really makes engine and transmission installation simple. The tunnel and carpets are easily removed which allows the bellhousing and transmission (its a TKO600) to be installed from the inside of the car. Here's a picture of the inside of the car showing the installed transmisson with the tunnel removed.

So today we're going to put the stacks and all of the accessories back on the motor and start installation of the clutch and throttle linkage as well as the fuel and oil lines. I'll post some more pictures when we get done with those steps.

- Fred

Last edited by fkemmerer; 05-01-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Keep the pix coming. It's always great to see the building process and the stories behind it. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keeps the pics comming, incredible looking car.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Great to see the progress being made!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Wow! Cant wait to see this car in person.Fred , i like the contrast with the Valve Cover Change, have you decided to use the Black Shelby covers or they temporary?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
Wow! Cant wait to see this car in person.Fred , i like the contrast with the Valve Cover Change, have you decided to use the Black Shelby covers or they temporary?
Hi Sal,

Good to hear from you. The valve covers are a permanent change - I feel they look better than the polished set also.

- Fred
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We made lots of progress on our ERA today. Got the following completed:

1) Installed the driveshaft, driveshaft speed sensor (see picture below) and reinstalled the driveshaft safety loop and handbrake mechanism.
2) Installed the speedometer cable
3) Installed all of the grounds on the motor and transmission
4) Installed the throttle cable and adjusted the throttle linkage
5) Installed the MAP sensor and connected it to the TWM intake
6) Made all of the fuel lines and connected them (see picture below)
7) Hooked up the oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature gauges
8) Reinstalled EFI stacks that were removed for installation of the motor.
9) Reinstalled all of the EFI sensors that were removed for installation of the motor.

Here's a picture of the completed trans and driveshaft - note the driveshaft speed sensor on the differental yoke.

Here's a picture of the reassemble and plumbed TWM intake on the motor in the car.

A shot of the fuel lines and throttle cable assembly. ERA made the throttle cable easy for me my providing all of the hookups to their linkage. All I had to do was to connect the cable to the bellcrank in the middle of the TWM intake.

Tomorrow we'll do the water pump, alternator, oil filter, oil lines, prime the oiling system, and set the distributor timing for the EFI system. If it goes well, we may get the cooling system installed also. We're getting close to the point where its time to start building the EFI wiring harness.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

It's easy to see why ERA is on the "top of the heap" as far as Cobra's go...super quality.
I love your FE....should go very fast, and you will win a lots recognition....very cool.

Best Regards, Bill
Old 08-01-2008, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bess View Post
It's easy to see why ERA is on the "top of the heap" as far as Cobra's go...super quality.
I love your FE....should go very fast, and you will win a lots recognition....very cool.

Best Regards, Bill

Thanks Bill. ERA does build a very nice car!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Looks Great Fred

Fkemmerer Realy looks great Fred. Where did you get the throttle linkage from? That is better than what I was looking at. You have private mail also. Rick L.