Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     
Default Kit Car Carlisle - next week

Folks:

I've just been on the phone with the wizard behind the curtain at ERA headquarters in New Britski and the plan is to take five cars out to the Carlisle show next week. There will be an ERA427SC, ERA289FIA, ERAGT and (with any luck) an ERA289 "Slabside". Plus (as they say) a player to be named later.

We'll be there at some point on Friday morning, so stop by and say hello.

Jim
Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Wonder if they have space for Marc Alan's 289FIA (for sale here on CC).

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

I would be happy to oblige if needed I can trailer it there

m-a
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
I would be happy to oblige if needed I can trailer it there

m-a
You have a trailer? Oh, wait, nevermind

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA is a kit car? no way!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Holy crap! That's one nice FIA there marcalan

Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

"Holy crap! That's one nice FIA there marcalan"

Thanks, it was a long term dream to build, unfortunately, the economy is forcing the sale.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hope to get out to the show as well and see the full range of cars, differences, etc. I am still looking carefully at all the options, but want to make sure that I don't do what another "buyer" on this site did recently and "purchase" a car without cash and/or financing in hand. (Very uncool move in my book). I always figured financing would be tough on a used replica (and I personally have a hard time borrowing money for a toy) and that it would need to be a cash sale. Lots of good cars out there right now, I hope the market is good when I finally have the cash in the next few months. My wife also just renovated our kitchen, and I need to digest that first, before I continue our role as a one family stimulus package. Also, very hard to justify this purchase as a "company car."

Part of my own personal delay also seems to be that you can get a good deal for 25k, but a screaming deal if you are willing to spend 45k, and for 50k or a bit more, then you are getting cars that cost close to 6 figures to build or dupicate. I would rather try and get something much nicer now, than be in a position where I am trying to upgrade in a short time, and then need to sell my 25k bargain in this market. Hence, my current status as a very jealous lurker who is trying to be patient.

Fortunately all the rain we have been getting has kept some of the cobra lust down. In any event, I will be looking very carefully at the ERA cars if I can sneak off to the show. I may also have to go to NYC for business that weekend, so I hope I can shake this commitment loose and get to the show. it looks like a 50/50 right now.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

If you can stay away from $20,000 600 hp monster engines and $15,000 paint jobs, you'll find that ERAs are a lot less expensive than you might think. And, as with any kit, the more work you do yourself, the more you will save. It all depends on what you want with regard to your budget.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I'd recommend that you wait a while and get what you really want, be it ERA, Shelby or whatever. Believe me, the wait is worth it. And as stated above, if you stay away from those mega-buck aluminum big blocks, you'll do even better.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Agreed, I have found, at least with racing motorcyle engines, that the times when the motor is working perfectly and purring, is offset by the time spent overhauling it every 100 hours or so. (I can't tell you how many times that my KTM (with a beautiful aluminum water cooled racing motor) gave me fits and stayed back in the garage with a mechanical issue while I had hours of fun in the dirt on my old air cooled Yamaha.

I thought the whole point of these cars was to put a relatively bulletproof maintenance free motor in a lightweight car and chassis. If I wanted to spend hours wrenching, or waiting outside a garage to talk to a mechanic about why it doesn't sound right, I would buy an old XKE. The ford crate motors seem very appealing in this application.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Actually, If you want a 427 S/C or Street Cobra, I'd recommend a big block FE, be it 390, 427 or 428, just for the correct 'feel' and look. There's nothing like a big block Cobra with lots of torque behind a toploader. However, an FIA Cobra is at home with a small block.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Reservations Made!

Turns out I am not busy next week and I have always wanted to go to Carlisle, so WTH! I will see you all on Fri/Sat I want to meet Jim H, and hi 5 Rick Lake, and of course renew my affection for PP and the gang Looking forward to the fun ...

Ask me about FE's

Sam
Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Renew affection for PP???? How could one not love the troll under the bridge?

Jim
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Will the new slab be returning to ERA Factory after the event? I plan to head down the foillowing week to see it and Peter P......
Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1985:

It will be going back for a few finishing touches and so that anyone who wishes to swing by and check it out can do so.

I am contemplating taking it to the all Ford show at Carlisle a couple of weeks from now, as well.

Jim

PS: Contemporary used to be in my back yard, first in Mt. Vernon and then in Mamaroneck. I visted both locations, numerous times in my quest for a Cobra replica. Over the years I got to know Peter Beyer and viewed the melt down of the company after Burtis took over as a tragedy.

The company was well respected when Peter and Monty Gotti were there. The history of what became of that company, though, is a lesson in how difficult it is to make a living in this industry and anyone who has any opinion to the contrary is sadly, misinformed. Margins are extremely thin (or nonexistent in economic times as we face now) and those who do stay in business are largely motivated not by the money but the shear love of what they are doing.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 05-09-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know specifically where ERA will be located at Carlisle?

Ray
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA will be located in the main display building. I believe its called building "J".

Jim
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looking forward to seeing some of my GT40 friends there. I'll be there Friday

Hope the weather holds!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Owners Reunion

There was a lot of activity at the booth, so the factory team were on their feet a lot, their chairs were left unattended ...

A rare photo of three owners who aren't likely to be seen together often: SSSammy, Rick Lake, and Executive Platinum Owner Jim H. ...

Had a great time with you guys!

Sam