Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     
Default Checking Brake/Clutch Fluid

Complete lame question, i'm a driver, not a builder...

Anyway, where is the brake fluid checked? The brake fluid light is on.

Also, all of a sudden the clutch is practically not working, very very difficult to get 4 speed in and out of gear, any gear - is this related in some way.

My brother normally works on my Cobra - he's not available right now.

I'm a little embarrassed that I don't know.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With an avatar like that you'll always get help...
The reservoir is the fill for both the brakes and clutch and can be seen atop the drivers footbox in my photo. The line for the clutch is the upper connection on the bottle.
You must determine where the fluid went since the level got low-it's leaking at the masters, calipers, junction fittings or the clutch slave/master. Just adding fluid is not good because the clutch line probably pulled air. So the brakes and the clutch should both be bled. Good time to change to fresh fluid-every two seasons.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

They might also look like this. Again, over on the driver's side inside wall. There will be three of them, one for the clutch, one for the front brakes, and one for the rear brakes. They could be black, or silver, or something else I suppose.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patrickt/ERA Chas

Thanks.

ERA Chas - ends up - I have one cylinder as pictures in your post. I'm amazed that this unit serves both the clutch and the brakes. Anyway, filled to up - brake light warning on the dash no longer lights up - I pumped the clutch - I can now readily shift into gear, so I'm good to go, except for the leak that caused this to happen.

I'd say, I need to have someone get it up on a rack and check out the entire system for the leak - sounds like one of those expensive tasks.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra de capell View Post
... sounds like one of those expensive tasks.
NO! It is not expensive, nor is it difficult. The leak will not go away by itself, and it will leave a trail (they even make UV dye to put in brake fluid for ease of viewing under a black light). The leak has to be at the connection to the reservoir, at the brake or clutch master cylinders, at the clutch slave cylinder, or at the calipers themselves. Now if you had the three separate reservoirs, you'd know whether it was the clutch, front brakes or the rear brakes that were the source -- but this is not a tough job. Just look for a wet spot and you will have found it (check for drips on the garage floor too).
Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Brake fluid liked to "melt" the rubber hoses from the reservior to the master cylinders on mine (#505).
Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboneheller View Post
Brake fluid liked to "melt" the rubber hoses from the reservior to the master cylinders on mine (#505).
Yes, I had that problem early on too. Replaced them with hydraulic brake hose from a truck supply shop. Dry for many years.
Bob will probably source a new set for you if it happens again or happens to CDC.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
patrickt/ERA Chas

Thanks.

ERA Chas - ends up - I have one cylinder as pictures in your post. I'm amazed that this unit serves both the clutch and the brakes. Anyway, filled to up - brake light warning on the dash no longer lights up - I pumped the clutch - I can now readily shift into gear, so I'm good to go, except for the leak that caused this to happen.

I'd say, I need to have someone get it up on a rack and check out the entire system for the leak - sounds like one of those expensive tasks.

Thanks again.
Remember, not just to fix the leak, but flush the fluid and bleed the air out. There's definitely air in there now. Not good to use either with air in the system.
Patrick's right, it's not hard. If you can't your brother surely can.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again for all the input - I'm on the case.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks again for all the input - I'm on the case.
Let me play Karnak the Magnificent -- I See, I See, I See... a leaky clutch slave cylinder, which is found mounted on the driver's side of the transmission/bellhousing.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Let me play Karnak the Magnificent -- I See, I See, I See... a leaky clutch slave cylinder, which is found mounted on the driver's side of the transmission/bellhousing.
Actually, I'm not on the case, but someone will be - on Monday.

Anyway, his only questions relate to 'PARTS' - in may not result in any parts, but if it does - are there parts and will be hard to get - is there a list of replacement parts related to this sort of issue?

Actually, over the years of ownership, not much has come up but when it does - replacement parts is always the issue - my Cobra was ERA factory built in the late 1980's so even the parts used at that time have changed in some areas.

So, if there is any input relating to replacement parts that I can pass on to my man depending on what he runs into - that input will be sincerely appreciated.

Last edited by cobra de capell; 06-03-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Anyway, his only questions relate to 'PARTS' - in may not result in any parts, but if it does - are there parts and will be hard to get - is there a list of replacement parts related to this sort of issue? .
No, replacement parts are not available; you'll just have to buy a new Cobra. Actually, you can download the manual for your specific car number from the ERA web site and it has a list of all the parts, with numbers, in the back.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Maybe there actually is no leak, do you have fluid on the gsarage floor? It may just be the wear of the brake pads and the necessary fluid filling the calipers as the pistons move closer to the rotors. I would suggest you have the brakes and clutch slave bled, and then refill again.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks - all good input - I'll pass it no to the guy that will be working on it.