Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Richmond 5 speed swap

Hey Bob
I would like to know what I need to swap, my richmond 5 speed to a tremec 600 TKO 5 speed.Can you give me a list of parts that I would need from you.

Thanks
Richie G
ERA 427 #635
Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Strong back and the GM mount listed in the manual. You might even have the correct mount already on your transmission! The PITA is the hole in your tunnel is probably incorrect. I think you'll also need a ring to space your shift-boot ring up about 1/2" to clear the handle.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob what is the cost of a new tunnel and carpet if needed and will my drive shaft fit.
Thank You
Richie G
Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyaa View Post
Bob what is the cost of a new tunnel and carpet if needed and will my drive shaft fit.
Thank You
Richie G
Give Peter a call for the tunnel and carpet.

The driveshaft uses a different input joint and slider. See the drawings here. You may be able to have your driveshaft modified locally.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Just interested; Why the switch?

The Richmond Gear 5th gear is 1:1, whereas the Tremec 600 5th is .64 (or .82) Depending on your rear axle ratio, the change will result very different characteristics. Wouldn't it be cheaper to swap out the rear?

I've used both trans in my ERAs and frankly, I thought the Richmond trans with a 3.08 rear was ideal. The Tremec needs at least a 3:54 or 3.77 to work. I have a Tremec with a .82 in my FIA with a 3.31 rear and I rarely use 5th.

Jim

PS: You will also need a bellhousing/trans spacer if you are putting a Tremec behind an FE with Lakewood Bellhousing
Old 06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Richie,

I can provide you with a list of parts and prices for your swap.

Shoot me an email with your current configuration, bellhousing, etc.

brent@b2motorsportsllc.com
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim / Brent
Thank you for your interest I love the responce of the richmond it is just very hard to shift. First gear is a pain to get into.As for the shifter I would like a hurst, and they make a short throw shifter for the richmond. I am willing to try the shifter before I swap out the richmond, Anybody have input on that shifter with this tranny and possible cobra setup.
Thank You
Richie G
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Richie:

I used Long Machine and Tool Shifters and found them to more than adequate. See http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/shifter_5_hn1000.asp

I hate to see you go through a $2,000 plus investment just because the present shifter may not be adjusted/setup propertly.

You have not indicated what your rear gear ratio is. Changing to a Tremec will make a diffference in your ratios!

Jim
Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

My long shifter was stiff, so I took some Mobile 1 wheel bearing grease and smeared up the bars that slide on the bottom of the shift lever and oiled up the heim joints. Now it shifts like butter. Many people prefer the Long shifter over the Hurst for the Richmond.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Richie,

I have the Richmond 5 speed as well and it certainly doesn't shift as well as the Muncie I use to have in my Chevelle. However, I've spent a little time tweaking mine and it now shifts way better than it use to. I found that the amount of torque applied to the bolts that mount it to the transmission makes a huge difference on how easily the shifter shifts. If yours is hard to shift, you might want to start there and see if loosening thoset bolts a tiny bit makes a difference. I also found that running synthetic transmission fluid helped.

Lastly, I had problems getting the tranny into 5th gear as well as popping out of reverse. At first, I blamed those problems on the transmission only to discover that the shifter boot ring was actually getting in the way and limiting the shifter movement. So, resolve the problem by removing the shifter boot but screwing down the shifter ring. Move the shifter through all gears while making sure the ring as well as transmission tunnel hole never interferes with the shifter. The shifter ring has to be located in exactly the right spot or it interferes while shifting into one gear or another.

Chris
Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use the Richmod Gear with a 3.07 rear end and it's great except that I think 1st gear isn't great. RG has optional gears for 1st, but I am unsure which direction to go. It seems a bit hard to get moving, but then the opposite happens and it seems to have to rev too much to get a good shift into 2nd. 2nd to 3rd is where all the fun is. The other gears work fine and it crusies nicely at highway speeds.

I've just found on the net, what appears to be a 5-speed shift pattern that may fit the Hurst shifter. Apparetnly I need to do that to keep it legal:

http://www.scottdrake.net/prod_detai...riginal+Manual
Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
Just interested; Why the switch?

The Richmond Gear 5th gear is 1:1, whereas the Tremec 600 5th is .64 (or .82) Depending on your rear axle ratio, the change will result very different characteristics. Wouldn't it be cheaper to swap out the rear?

I've used both trans in my ERAs and frankly, I thought the Richmond trans with a 3.08 rear was ideal. The Tremec needs at least a 3:54 or 3.77 to work. I have a Tremec with a .82 in my FIA with a 3.31 rear and I rarely use 5th.
Jim

PS: You will also need a bellhousing/trans spacer if you are putting a Tremec behind an FE with Lakewood Bellhousing

Jim-
I have a Tremec in mine with the .82 5th and the 3.31 rear end and use 5th all of the time- doing 70 I am turning right around 2500 rpm. My only complaint with the Tremec- which has been fixed on the newer TKO 600s- is
1st gear. In my trans, 1st is 3.27, which is too low (for normal driving I need to shift by 25 mph or so). I think the TKO 600s now have the 2.87 1st, which would be much better. But other than the 1st gear ratio, the rest of the gears are very good.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Have a TKO 600 behind my 428 with 3.07 rears and I'm very pleased with it. About 2300@70 on the freeway. Have the newer 2.87 first and am very satisfied after 4 1/2 seasons and 30+K miles.
DonC