Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Everett-Morrison Motorcars -- Speak with Julie and Brett

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default EM Owners With Coil-Over Rear

Can you guys and gals running coil-over rear suspension tell me if your upper shock mounts are inside or outside of the frame? Sure would also be nice to see some pics. Seems space is pretty tight mounting the upper outside the frame....

Ralphy
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Hey Ralphie, how ya doin?

My car has the live axle 9" diff with coilovers and they are on the outside of the frame. Jag suspension coilovers are on the inside of the frame with two shocks on each side, according to my E-M assembly manual. Haven't figured out how to post pictures with threads, but I'll try to post a picture of my rear suspension on our Everett_Morrison section.

Picture is posted in E-M Social group. Kinda small, but it shows where the shocks are mounted.

Last edited by Tom Cimino; 09-14-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, thanks I see the pic. The space between the wheel and frame is pretty tight but looks to be enough. My C3 has the shock already in this position in front of the half shafts, but when you add the spring being I think 2 1/2" diameter, it gets tight. I am also looking at moving the top mount higher and wondering about the frame and spring clearance. I would still like to see more pics from others!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Here is how it mounts with C4 suspension. On the left rear the upper mount is clocked at about the 5 o'clock position on the frame rail.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, do do you know what the lengths are? Mine I have are app. 10" compressed and 14" extended.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Dynamics are:
Rears Ext 12", Comp 9"
Fronts E 12.5", C 9.5"

My Proshocks are E14" and C10" in the rear. The Pros are also a standard 2-1/2" spring. I went to these small-body Dynamic dampers because of space constraints. I went shorter because I had too much droop.

Last edited by scottj; 09-15-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bingo Scott! The 9"C damper is what I was curious about. Seems 10" is a little much.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I have a question about the C4 suspension. I have Carrera coilovers and if I tighten up my adjustments the springs rub the half shaft on the passenger side. Sometimes I think vibration tightens it because I have a mark around the half shaft on the passenger side where I can see it rubs. Can this be rectified? Or is something wrong?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfangs View Post
Scott,

I have a question about the C4 suspension. I have Carrera coilovers and if I tighten up my adjustments the springs rub the half shaft on the passenger side. Sometimes I think vibration tightens it because I have a mark around the half shaft on the passenger side where I can see it rubs. Can this be rectified? Or is something wrong?
I had the same problem with my Proshocks. Since I have adjustable trailing arms I made a small compensation in the lengths of the arms. I corrected the problem by switching to a small body damper and spring. I now have plenty of clearance.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Could the mating surfaces the spring sits on not be square? Or an unequal area in the spring be causing your spring to kick outward?

Scott I just noticed Pro Shocks is local for me.

http://www.proshocks.com/index.htm
Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I adjusted mine out some over the weekend but am guessing vibration will start them hitting the half shaft again sometime. I don't have adjustable trailing arms so I will have to look into a smaller damper body and spring. I don't know a whole lot about suspension so I might have to ask for some help from a suspension person. Are there any other E-M owners that have this problem with the C-4 rear suspension? If so what did you do to correct it?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just talked to Jim Bailey at Pro Shocks. He is their contact that is most familiar with Cobra kits. He seems pretty knowledgable with the EM's. I believe he said with using either a 2 1/2" spring or a 1 7/8" spring the shocks are the same. So I'm thinking you would need to order a new end at the top of the damper and a new adjusting collar. Then the 1 7/8" spring would give more clearance.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ralphy, I will contact him and discuss the situation and see what he thinks. Although I think you are right, at least I am hoping so. That would be an easy fix and less expensive than buying new stuff.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck BB!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

2.25" and 2.5" springs will interchange on a 2"-body shock. The 1-7/8 spring is for the small-body shock. If the car was converted to coilovers the upper clevis mount will be much wider than a heim. Assuming that you are using heim shock ends, you can space the upper heim forward in the clevis and gain some clearance between the spring and halfshaft. Also, the EM shock mounts may not be symmetrical. My right rear clevis was farther forward and lower than my left rear. My left rear spring rubbed the halfshaft. My right rear coil adjuster needed to be backed off 3-4 turns, compared to the left side, to achieve equal ride height across the rear.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, Jim Bailey said the shocks were the same more than once. However I did not quiz him on what he had meant by that. I had little concern due to the fact I would be starting from scratch. So you may be right. Jim Bailey must have worked for Pro for some time. He had said he was at EM's facility years ago. Worked closely with FFR. He also said they are the manufacture for other labels.