Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Factory Five Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/)
-   -   Unique Motorcars (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/10683-unique-motorcars.html)

Carl Tuljus 08-31-2001 09:29 AM

Unique Motorcars

I'm in the market to buy a kit car. Like so many others, the more research I do, the more confusing it gets. I have, at least I think I have, come to a decission on a Unique Motorcar kit. Before I make the investment, does anyone have an opinion one way or the other on Unique as a company and their product.
Thanks for the help

creeper 08-31-2001 11:27 AM

Awesome car. Awesome people. I don't think you could find anyone nicer in the kit car industry. I had my choices narrowed down to a few and Unique wasnt even in the running until I saw one. Loved it, ordered it, waiting for it. Due in November.

Homewrecker 08-31-2001 12:10 PM

Awesome car & awsome people to work with. You will not regret going with them. Their prices are also very good for the amount of car you get. I am very pleased with Unique!

roadwarrior 05-29-2002 01:14 AM

ok guys, I hear more and more about the Unique, but so far have not found anyone to speak with that has put one together. Is there anyone on the fourm that touts Unique and has put one on the road? Just wondering. I'm planning on a trip to the factory in Aug, at the moment my money is riding on the SPF car, but with the following of the Unique and all the good things heard I think they are worth a look. But, sure would like to know someone that has taken delivery and made it out to the hwy......... anyone?

Creeper.. due in Nov??? How long does it take t get one anyway?

(and what is this doing in a FFR thread anyway?)

STG 05-29-2002 02:21 AM

Bob Evans built this Unique 289 FIA. Please note, he recontured the rear fenders.

Great, I'll try again.

STG 05-29-2002 02:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here!

SilverCobra 05-29-2002 03:21 AM

Unique Deluxe Pallet

Carl and Roadwarrior - Yes - I did build a Unique. Ordered in May last year and delivered the first weekend in Nov. Everything came as agreed and there were no back ordered parts. Generally order to delivery is about 4 - 5 months. It also helped that I purchased my stroker motor and transmission from Southern Automotive. They delivered the drive train to Gadsden and the Weavers dropped it into the car for me. Wheels/tires were also drop shipped to Gadsden so the car rolled out of the transport pretty compete.

A week later, I had all the sidepipes, windshield, master cylinders, quick jacks, lights, etc. dismanteled for painting and the body/chassis went to the paint shop. A week later, I brought the chassis back home and left the body on a paint skid to be painted. The body was painted came back home in early December and I was able to spend little time on the car during the holidays and really started devoting weekends to it starting New Years.

I would generally call Unique a couple of times a week and the Weavers were always helpful with my rookie build questions. Really good people and know their product and the kit car industry. On Feb 10th, I fired the engine and was driving a week later. It took me about a month to sort out some drive train issues, but I just passed 1,000 on the odometer last weekend and she runs great and I just had my first road course experience.

Here is a link to my web page on the Texas Cobra Club web site:

http://texascobraclub.com/flesher.htm

roadwarrior 05-29-2002 08:02 PM

Dick, That has got to be the best personal webpage I have seen to date on the car! Well done to you. I now see that it is doable.

So, you guys with a Unique, how do you think the car stacks up to a SPF? Is the glass as thick? Strong? Frame comments? Hey, not here to stir the pot, but one has to ask right?

Roadwarrior

creeper 05-29-2002 10:30 PM

Yes , I think it stacks up very nicely. I think the glass is just as good. One bonus the Unique sits correctly,"SQUAT". The SPF doesn't "SQUAT" or the ones I've seen don't. Only the Unique and ERA seem to have the stance correct.

SilverCobra 05-30-2002 04:38 PM

To Squat or Not to Squat - sounds like a girl scout campout!

RW - Yes, the Unique fiberglass is very high quality, thick where it needs to be and strong. Okiesnake lost a wheel and without a jack found it necessary to lift (it took 5 guys) the right rear end by the bumpers and the fiberglass over the wheel well. SPF is an equal body - you would never have a problem with either one.

I have a goal for another web page. I want to shoot interior, front, rear, driver side and 3/4 driver's side digital images of a Unique, a SPF and an ERA. I have three similar color cars here in Dallas to photograph and hopefully I can get this done in the next few weeks. The images could be on a web page for side by side comparison. Many previous posts have touted authenticity and squat factor. I am really not trying to really prove anything, but might be fun to view. Stay tuned.

Okiesnake 05-30-2002 05:00 PM

I too have built a Unique. Like Dick, I had the motor & trans already installed at the factory. I even had the car painted of the factory. You can check out my web site for some bulid tips. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/index.html
Another sit you might want to check out is the Unique Replica Forum at http://www.uniquecobra.com/

Trent Dockstetter a.k.a. Okiesnake

STG 05-30-2002 11:41 PM

HELP! MY SPF HAS A LOW SQF ...

Squat Factor. What's next?

Joe Prochazka 05-31-2002 09:34 AM

I am in the later stages of building a Unique and have been impressed with the quality of final fit and ease of assembly.

Everything has gone together as planned with no re-engineering. I am wiring the body now and will set it on the frame in about two weeks.

As stated, the Weavers are patient and accomodating. I don't call them a lot, but when I do they always seem to make time and I never feel rushed.

If you are considering a cobra purchase, I would recommend that Unique be at the top of your list.

davids2toys 07-26-2007 08:59 AM

My name is Dave,
I have been a lurker here for a while. I have been looking for a good car registered in Ct for awhile now.
Last night I bought a Unique Motorcars, 1993 build, 428,toploader,jag rear,red with white stripes. glad to be on board with you guys on this forum.
I am a regular on www.themustangsource.com, and own an 05 Mustang Gt for my DD.
My username is davids2toys if anyone wants to check me out!
so, who are the Ct guys out there?
I would be interested in get togethers, cruises, etc,etc...

Take care....Dave

byron w 07-26-2007 09:11 AM

Carl,
Go to the DIY network on the I-Net, click on Autos and then on Restoration. Follow down to KitCars. They built a Unique on a TV show several years ago and it is still available on their web site as are some videos. very good information and car.
Byron

rdorman 07-26-2007 09:21 AM

http://www.uniquecobra.com/

clayfoushee 07-26-2007 09:31 AM

It is both a terrific car and value. They also hold up very well over time with very strong bodies and frames.

We have a gentlemen in our area who owns a 1982 Unique, which looks almost new today. He also just won the London Cobra Show raffle car, which was a new Unique.

The Weaver's level of customer support is unsurpassed. There are many Unique owners here, and Unique offers almost everything from partially to fully assembled, turnkey cars (you have to purchase your own engine elsewhere). It's really a matter of how much you want to spend vs. doing yourself.

Since Unique is not a sponsor of this forum, there is no dedicated Unique Forum discussion here on CC. However, Rick Dorman's post above provides the best place to have a discussion about Unique assembly.

www.uniquecobra.com

rdorman 07-26-2007 09:39 AM

They certainly do last. Here is my 1985 Unique. '85 paint, interior, carpet, everthing. Only the mechanicals have been really gone through since the car sat for so long.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...00036_copy.jpg

And here is the Unique raffle cars raffled off by the OCC for CF that Clay spoke off.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...um/front_1.jpg

ERA2188 07-26-2007 10:09 AM

Roadwarrior. I recommend that you go to a Superformance dealer and drive one, and ask a lot of questions. Visit Unique, they make a real nice car. Fibreglass work is excellent - it is an extremely strong body - and standard equipment includes 12 inch Wilwood racing brakes. Then visit ERA in New Britain, Ct. Superformance is a "turnkey minus"; with Unique and ERA you can order a turnkey, turnkey minus, or complete kit that you can assemble if you have the time & skills. I had a Unique FIA that I bought with a few thousand miles on it. I upgraded the motor and put a few thousand miles on it in 2 years. Really enjoyed the car. I sold it in January and put a deposit on an ERA because to me, the ERA FIA encompasses a higher degree of engineering design, and is an exact duplicate of CSX2345 (the only FIA car that was not wrecked and repaired). The details in the ERA are outstanding - chasis is 3" * 4" rectangular tube instead of 2"*4", and is the most rigid of the group. The aluminum paneled trunk is a replica of the original, complete with fibreglass whell well. The passenger compartment, all aluminum paneled (identical to the original) with fibreglass wheel wells. The emergency brake handle is bolted to the frame, as the original. Same details in the aluminum clad engine compartment. I drove one in June of 2006 and decided that was the way to go. The Superformance is an outstanding quality cobra replica. I prefer the ERA due to the chasis details, and it is also made in the USA by guys you can talk to and visit while it's being built. My opinion is that - of those 3 cars - ERA is 1, Superformance is 2, and Unique is 3. As I said, my opinion, and everyone has one. So you need to check them each out by visiting the dealer and each factory, then form YOUR opinion. You will enjoy the heck out of each of them, and the research is a lot of fun.
Good luck. Rick D.

ERA2188 07-26-2007 10:10 AM

Oops, meant to say "aluminum paneled passenger compartment - with fibreglass FOOT BOXES". rd