Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Factory Five Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/)
-   -   CSX3288 vs FFR MKIV (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/114813-csx3288-vs-ffr-mkiv.html)

1985 CCX 03-17-2012 10:18 AM

CSX3288 vs FFR MKIV

Kudos to FFR for setting up a head to head with CSX3288 on Spike. I must say Jim likes to set his car up however it did well even when compared to today's technology.

FFR car:6 Piston brakes Wilwood
500+hp EFI
New tires
New Koni's
Nicely done.

FYI, CSX3288 is not a 427 car. The 3200 series cars were 428 powered and much less potent. The tires are at least 20yrs old and the brakes however potent in the 60's are single piston. (Smell a set up....)

Maybe Dave Smith can get 3035 or a full comp car 3020 set up for head to head. ????????

Regardless hale to FFR!
Repeat on Spike Sunday!

gthompson 03-17-2012 11:25 AM

I have a feeling that the FFR would win over a 45 year old 427 Comp Car.

1985 CCX 03-17-2012 11:46 AM

George

I don't know about that, I have been in your car with Jack. Driven Jim's car and its a bunch different.
Comp427SO dry sump versus stock 428 is big difference.

Hey, did you get my email the other night?

Jeff

Cobra #3170 03-17-2012 01:10 PM

New vs. Old

That 428 was pretty sad when you consider that stock 427 street cars would run 118 in the low 12's on the stock blue dots. I would have been a lot more impressed if the old car had new tires and a decent running 428. The outcome would probably be the same but it certainly did not represent the car's capability when produced. Maybe they could have put those old rock hard 15's on the F5 to see how well it did in all the events with crappy tires.

1985 CCX 03-17-2012 02:55 PM

Funny at our club breakfast we thought your car would also be a test...... Different outcome for sure.

Jim's car is a part of history and he is a great sport however up against a FFR with similar tires and stock brakes the gap would have been narrower.

All in all still fun to watch the show.

gthompson 03-17-2012 02:59 PM

Hi Jeff

I didn't get your email
Can you send it to:
gthompson@totalmedsolutions.com
Thanks
George

gthompson 03-17-2012 03:53 PM

Hi Jeff

I didn't get your email
Can you send it to:
Thanks
George

gthompson 03-17-2012 05:32 PM

Hi Jeff

I didn't get your email
Can you send it to:
Thanks
George

fordracing65 03-18-2012 01:01 PM

This comparison was a joke, with the original car they didnt even know what they were comparing.

LMH 03-18-2012 09:46 PM

I got to see it today. Good show but I have a little trouble with the braking results on both. Especially when the FFR is locking up the front. Can't remember the distance now (of course) but 80+ feet from 60 MPH seems a little short.
Larry

Dennis O'Shea 03-19-2012 04:37 AM

If the two car's were side by side and you could have your choice of either one Which one would you take "NUFF SAID"

RACER X #99 03-19-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis O'Shea (Post 1181587)
If the two car's were side by side and you could have your choice of either one Which one would you take "NUFF SAID"

Which would you choose?

a perfect in every detail CSX 4000

or

a CSX 3000 barn find:confused:

DougD 03-19-2012 06:50 AM

Fun show to watch. I always enjoy it when they showcase a good old '60s car vs the new stuff. Keeps the legend alive in the eyes of the young kids.

I feel the test was basically worthless, though. Should have used the same driver in both cars, and the rock hard tires on the 427 doomed it in all three tests. Put the same sticky tires and the same aggressive driver in both cars, and it would have been much closer. I assume the 428 was old and tired. They didn't even open the hood for a look-see.

427sharpe 03-19-2012 07:19 AM

I saw this episode of Musclecar as well. First thing I saw on the original were the Sunbursts and I thought 'Uh-oh!'. I would like to see a comparison like this one with the CSX street car on 17" wheels that will fill the fenders, at least! Be nice to see how far tire tech has come in 40+ years. In the episode I liked the in-car shots of the 2 hosts in the FFR the best. The smiles said all you need to know! :D

rodneym 03-19-2012 09:21 AM

I completely missed it! Busy weekend. :CRY:

If anyone hears of it again, please post!!!!! :D

GT350Mike 03-20-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1181627)
I completely missed it! Busy weekend. :CRY:

If anyone hears of it again, please post!!!!! :D

Curiosity was killing me so I found the episode online. Although the Cobra was in great condition (cosmetically) considering it wasn't restored, the comparison was definitely biased. Even a 428 in a Mustang will run north of 100 mph in a 1/4 mile so I think they should have done a little more to insure the Cobra would perform better....like a tune-up! Regarding the F5 car, Smith has put together a great combination with the 302 Boss motor and the upgraded brakes.

PowerBlockTV - Video

ford guy 03-21-2012 12:42 AM

Thanks for the link-really enjoyed it!

mickmate 03-21-2012 04:07 AM

Thanks for the link Mike, that was entertaining knowing what we know. Jim is a great sport, true enthusiast and a real southern gentleman. He is a true ambassador for the Cobra. There is a lot of film of that car out there. There's video of that car on the Snakes in the Grass tour on CC right now.

James Stern 03-21-2012 06:25 AM

Thanks for posting the link. It reminded me of a comparison done by Shelby to promote his new Shelby 500. I would still prefer an original. Nuff said.

ACademic 03-21-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT350Mike (Post 1181965)
...the comparison was definitely biased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1181996)
Jim is a great sport, true enthusiast and a real southern gentleman. He is a true ambassador for the Cobra.

The (only) two truths of this comparison. IMHO.