Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Factory Five Racing

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Independent or Solid...That Is The Question

I know that this has probably been cover, but I gotta ask anyway. OK, here we go!

I have settled on an FFR. The question I am asking is this, is the independent rear that much better than the solid 8.8 3-link w/ coil overs? A bit about my plans ans activities might help so here ya go.

Will be installing a 427 side oiler, Tremec TKO 5-speed, 3.27 or 3.55 gears w/ 17" wheels and sneakers. I plan to use the car primarily for road use with an ocassional jaunt to the drag strip or track (by occasional I mean once to the drag strip and once to an SCCA event a year).

Any input to aid in the decision making would be appreciated. Thanks.

-SGC
Old 08-21-2003, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Modified FFR Cobra
Not Ranked     

Both the 3-link and IRS will do well at the track, but if the majority of your driving is on the street the IRS is hard to beat. It is worth the extra money in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up solid all the way...

I think to consider anything but a solid axle in a ffr would go against everything ffr stands for and be an afront to every 5.0 donor car in america. Go with the 8.8 and 3.90:1's.... better for doing burnouts.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 08-21-2003, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

For reliability and all around nice manners, I would stick with the live axle. If you are an extremely advanced driver and are headed for an SCCA road course, the independent is the best.

If you do a search here at CC for IRS failures and read the stories, you might not be so gungho about an IRS. Things break. Cars roll...

The best suspension geometry for a live axle is a 4 bar with panhard or watts link. These are virtually bullit proof and much less expensive. Handling at +1g will be slightly deminished however.

Forget the 3 link, it will wheel hop like the energizer bunny.

But if you are indeed Mario/AJ junior then go for the IRS.

Oh, an IRS is a high mantenance item. Ignore it for too long and it can literally come apart on you.

Again, it dependes on who you are, and what you will do with the car.

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ultima GTR, chebby stuff
Not Ranked     
SGC48,

Here's the facts, jack.

1. The IRS option will run you about $3500.00 bucks. If you are serious about having a 427 engine, you will have to replace all of the donor stuff with new. Lots of folks will say the IRS adds about 3K to the value of your ride, which is great, 'cause that's what they cost. (FYI, the IRS failures reported earlier almost ALWAYS are in regards to Jag junk, the FFR uses the 8.8 T-bird pumpkin and spindles, add the Cobra Mustang disc brake upgrade.)

2. The 3 link setup ELIMINATES the inherent wheel-hop associated with the Mustang 4 link. The 3 link, with coilovers and a new 8.8 rear, will run you somewhere near 2K. The FFR spec racers run 3 links, and they do pretty well. The FFR 3 link package comes with an adjustable panhard rod.

Greg
Old 08-22-2003, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dirt Cowboy,

Thanks for the info. If I read you post right, the IRS cost is about $1500 more over the solid axle. Thats about what I had planned on. Again, thanks.

-SGC
Old 08-22-2003, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

If you are planning on using a genuine 427 SO, Tremec TKO, and want IRS, I'd spend the extra money and either get a superformance, CSX4000 roller, or kirkham instead of the FFR.

You could always buy a used unique or something, already with an IRS, with a 390 or 428, for not much money, and switch out the engine to the 427 SO.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 08-25-2003, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why wouldn't you use the FFR? My impression of the FFR is that it stays true to the cobra lore in the way that it is a real race car for the street.

-SGC
Old 08-25-2003, 05:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

A side from hijacking this thread, did I mention that my IRS equipped, 427 FE powered Contemporary is FS....Hell, I even take FFR mark II's in trade .

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-25-2003, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

mrmustang,

I'm not quite sure I understand your post. Please elaborate. Thanks.

-SGC
Old 08-25-2003, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went with the IRS. I don't see it as any more of a maintenance issue than the 3 link. I was also able to get the deep dish wheel look without any major modifications by just using the pin drive length control arm option.

I'm only pushing about 330HP out of the engine and haven't had any indication of overstressing the rear.

If you would like to know more then just email me on the side.

ben