Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Factory Five Racing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/)
-   -   Why buy a Factory Five? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/factory-five-racing/82378-why-buy-factory-five.html)

enyawix 09-21-2007 09:27 PM

Why buy a Factory Five?

What make this kit beater?

Factory Five
$12,990

Pacific Roadster
$7,495

computerworks 09-21-2007 09:37 PM

The price you quoted for Pacific just includes the body, the frame and a couple of brackets
The price you quoted for FFR is a Complete Kit.

This info is on both their websites....why not just look at the parts list they both publish.

jperickson2001 09-21-2007 09:58 PM

FFR is the best bang for the buck. If built well, it is a really nice car. The frame is excellent.-john

BMK 09-21-2007 11:15 PM

enyawix

Hi mate,

Ring FFR and ask them to send you a sales pack. It includes a DVD that covers the full build and the shop.

I have spent some time climbing all over the FFR at events including London, Ohio and Midstates raceway at the Run N Gun. The advantage of using a Mustang donour is a real winner also.

You should also find a copy of 'Bitten by the Snake' for loan or buy one off the forum here. It covers some of the kits. Some have since gone.

%/

Additionally, I was impressed with the time the guys gave me as an Aussie - knowing they possibly would not sell a kit to me. Nothing was to much trouble for them showing me over the displays.

Plenty of dollars go for a Kirkham - again a favourite of mine.

Good luck in the search.

cheers

Bernie

thudmaster 09-22-2007 01:23 AM

Bernie...........London and Run and Gun.....How about the WSCB this coming May?

Factory Five kits are almost bullet proof.

jwd 09-22-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerworks
The price you quoted for FFR is a Complete Kit.

You would still need a "donor" car. The complete kit is $20,000.

Calicoco 09-22-2007 06:34 AM

Not with the new package set up. The $19,000 covers all, but motor, tranny, rearend. Buy new, if you don't want a donor. Reason behind the new package was not to have a donor if you didn't want one.

joey_hv 09-22-2007 10:02 AM

I just visited Pacific Roadsters website and they have a "rolling chassis, complete and ready for engine and transmission" for $11,995
dang good deal.

enyawix 09-22-2007 09:28 PM

Not looking at prices why buy one kit over the other? I have a 5.0 donor mustang.

dlampe 09-23-2007 06:06 AM

That is to open ended. We all chose the the car we have for our own reasons. We can give you better advice if you tell us what is important to you. Price is always a factor. A lot of guys here have more money in their engines than the total FFR price! Try to get more specific.

sr71 09-23-2007 06:20 AM

One of the best reasons has nothing to do with FFR.... it is an unrelated Forum for Cobra (FFR) enthusiasts (www.ffcobra.com). This forum is about as close to a 24/7 real time build manual as you will ever find. Not only does it cover the cars but also there are a ton of subject matter experts ready and willing to discuss suspensions, engines, transmissions, etc.

enyawix 09-23-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlampe
That is to open ended. We all chose the the car we have for our own reasons. We can give you better advice if you tell us what is important to you. Price is always a factor. A lot of guys here have more money in their engines than the total FFR price! Try to get more specific.

Street + some 1/8th mile track

1. Strong braking capability

2. Good distribution of weight

3. A frame that will not twist or bend (Twin turbo 351 H/C/I and slicks)

4. A suspension that help the tires bite the ground.

289fia_cobra 09-24-2007 10:57 PM

Point #3 is probably what sold many of us on the FFR. To play devils advocate for just a minute, do take time to look at the frames of some of the more recent players (in the last few years): JBL, Cutting Edge Replica's and most notably, Hurricane Motorsports. Kirkham actually has an accurate frame too. All four tend to have frames as good (or better if you ask others) as Factory Five's. You should visit those forums too so you have a well rounded opinion.

I personally wanted a race frame and at the time, but with a predetermined budget. Ladder "only" designs just doesn't seem good enough to me, for serious racing. If I were just doing shows, cruises and promo work with the car, then I would of looked for the kit with the most accurate body and details; frame isn't all that important; they all tend to serve the purpose and in fact, some have raced with some success. But nobody talks about whether or not they actually do any stress analysis. (Someone on FFCobra.com took the time to do something of that nature and found the FFR frame to be pretty rigid.)

As for point #1: that's purely a function of the whole brake system you decide on. Remember, with kits, you can put in ANYTHING you want; you don't have to compromise unlike production cars, but be careful what you ask for! :D Having said that, I believe most of the 4 mentioned use good brake system; FFR is the only one (if you're going donor) with a farily sedate brake system but as many will say, it's a brake system for a 3200 lb. car, going into a 2400lb. car. But everyone that decides to do serious racing upgrades the brakes anyway.

Point #2: I think they're all pretty much the same; about a 48/52 IIRC assuming all equipped equally and all being 90" wheel base.

Point #4: If you're referring to track in terms of turning left and right in addition to straightline, you may want to look a bit closer at the aftermarket that supports FFR. Gordon Levy has some setups that can hook you up any way you want. But if you bought any of the 5 kits mentioned here, I'd say JBL by it's reputation is the best handling; but it's a stretch when it comes to "looking" like a Cobra replica. From the outset, it was designed for racing.

The CER is another that was engineered chassis-wise by a Sprint Car racer and uses the unconventional inboard shock/spring setup front and rear. Very cool setup and I'm assuming it would work well on the track.

Naumoff 09-25-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr71
One of the best reasons has nothing to do with FFR.... it is an unrelated Forum for Cobra (FFR) enthusiasts (www.ffcobra.com). This forum is about as close to a 24/7 real time build manual as you will ever find. Not only does it cover the cars but also there are a ton of subject matter experts ready and willing to discuss suspensions, engines, transmissions, etc.

And what do you call this website? chop liver ;)

Tallguy 09-25-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naumoff
And what do you call this website? chop liver ;)

Club Cobra is great, and I always lurk here first, but the FFR forum has way more activity. Posts over there seem to be responded to instantaneously.

Its one reason that FFR is still on my list, as I will build my kit in my garage, and the support from the FFR community is superb, and fast.

Mark

imagine2frolic 09-25-2007 09:32 AM

If you want a fast post all you have to do is mention religion, politics, war, or bash a certain brand. Be prepared to wear a flack jacket though...LOLOLOLOL

jhv48 09-25-2007 10:49 AM

The FFR Forum is the best support system around to coach you through your build. If it has happened to any of the thousands of members, they have figured out a way to get around it and are more than willing to share their solutions. Plus a huge library of previous topics is at your finger tips, night and day.

Naumoff 09-25-2007 01:32 PM

:) Unique has an owners forum(not a factory owned forum) with huge support without any BS and the owners of Unique Motorcars who build the kits help out on the forum too.
They also build turn key cars in the same facility so someone on the Unique forum will have the right answer to your build question.:) http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/

Naumoff 09-25-2007 03:36 PM

If you want to choose between the two companies I would wait until FFR offers the "Dick Smith 198" body with their kit.

The Pacific Roadster body doesn't look right to me. JMO

enyawix 09-29-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naumoff
If you want to choose between the two companies I would wait until FFR offers the "Dick Smith 198" body with their kit.

The Pacific Roadster body doesn't look right to me. JMO

The look of a cobra is pointless, if you twist the frame beyond repair.